E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Options madness & rain sensing wiper question

08-14-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Options madness & rain sensing wiper question

It was raining on my way to work this morning. I live in the desert, so don't drive in the rain much. The few times I have, I noticed these rain-sensing wipers don't work very well- especially if the drops are small enough that they don't run down the windshield. I have the adjuster all the way up to full sensitivity, but don't notice much of a difference. So, every 15 seconds I have to flip the lever for "mist". What a pain in the ass! Regular adjustable interval wipers would be much better than this. Is there any way to set them to a standard interval mode instead of rain-sensing mode?

This go me thinking about expensive options I'd PREFER not to have, and options that are severely overpriced for what they provide.

Rains-sensing wipers: For me, interval would be better most of the time

Auto-on headlamps: HIDs wear out based largely on on-off cycles. They come on every time I start the car in the garage or pull into it, so I have to turn off this feature. I'd be better off $ wise without it

Leather seats: I looked at a friends 12 year old Audi A6 with leather. It looks like shit compared to my wife's cloth 11 year old Accord, which looks almost new. Even my 2 year old car is starting to show wear on the driver's seat. Cloth seats wear better (these days) breathe better on hot days, don't feel as hot in the summer or as cold in the winter, and are cheaper. Other than looking expensive (when the car is new), I really can't think of any advantages of leather. I'd rather save the money.

Power seats: This is my first car with power seats. I can think of only two advantages: adjustability is continous rather than in fixed increments, and if you have comfort access they adjust for you after your spouse drives the car. Other than that, they're REALLY slow to adjust. Ever try to recline them flat to take a little nap? It takes like a MINUTES, rather than two seconds. Moving them forward or backward for another driver also takes about 10x as long. They're also expensive, heavy, and MUCH less reliable.

Power folding mirrors: I thought this was an absurd gimmich. To my surprise, I use them every day and really appreciate them!

Start button: If you're putting your key in, wouldn't it make sense to just push or turn the key rather than moving your hand somewehre else? That's how the new A4 does it. The start button decreases convenience...unless you have....

Comfort access: I like it a LOT more than I expected. Great feature....should be standard. That said, if you park up a mountain with a lot of radio antennas on top, you may not be able to start your car. No shit. I can send you pics of the "key not detected" icon with my key held right next to it. Fortunately, I hadn't turned the car off yet. A traditional style key to start the car as a backup would be very nice.

Sunshades: The side ones...not so convenient. The automatic rear one- great for parking, but not worth $500. Maybe $150.

Bluetooth, Homelink, Navigation (I don't have nav): OK...these are all great convenience features, but there now common in Toyotas. The first two add about $500 each! $500 for a bluetooth? Try $50. $500 for a friggin garage door opener! How about $40? $2k for a nav system, and $200 for updates! How about $250 for a superior hand-held garmin that you can use in any car, gets free updates, and you can replace in 5 years so it doesn't look like you have an antiquated computer built into your dash. I don't know how they're getting away charging these absurd 1000% over market value prices! (for the record, I bought used)

A regular mechanical trunk latch instead of electric would probably work faster and be more reliable.

Things worth it: Headlights are awesome, fold-down seats worth it, but should be standard. Heated seats nice and only slightly overpriced, and the engine and suspension on this car are just sublime (which is why I bought it). Styling is great. $1350 for the wrold's greatest automatic transmission is a good deal.

Gotta go. Curious to what you all think.

Last edited by carve; 08-14-2009 at 11:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
Bols
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F36 AW 6MT

Nav : Heavily agree on this, it's about 3000 euros, and that is mad expensive especially for how "poor" it work sometimes in cities. Haven't seen the new I-drive & nav yet tho so can't give my 2cents on that

Rainsensor : I kind of like it, especially the fact that the wipers slow down when you move slower and come to a stop, so you don't look like a complete tool with your wipers going 100/hour at a redlight

Headlamps : I always think the same about the on off on off wearing them down, that's why i always just turn my angel eyes on HID's only come on when it's dark enough and AEs look coolers especially at at about 8-9ish pm where it's light enough to drive without headlights, but also dark enough to make the angel eyes look really mean and visible (white ones)

Leather seats : Just wait till someone pukes on the cloth seats, you'll never go cloth again lol + leather looks a lot nicer. Agree on the getting hella hot part

mirrors : agree

start button : Don't really think it's a hassle, turning the key or pressing a button both have their own 'coolness' to it tho i suppose.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

I'm just going to comment on the rain sensors. On every BMW I've owned and currently own with this option, I've always left it on the lowest sensitivity setting. Even that seems too high for me sometimes, especially on the highway when they kick to high often.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 09:22 PM   #4
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

I disagree with most of what you say. The power seats should be standard in a car of this class. They are plenty fast enough and the memory is a great feature after my wife drives my car. Leather is a must IMO. It's a luxury sport sedan and should never ever have cloth seats. As others say cloth gets dirty and the nap wears out.

I hear this complaint a lot about the start button but think about it. A standard ignition switch is a 2 step process. You insert the key then twist it. In our cars you insert the fob and push the button. That's easier for someone with arthritic or weak hands and is way cooler.

About the HID's, my car doesn't have Xenon lights but you're being extremely anal here. Bulbs last a long time these days and if you can afford the car you can probably afford new bulbs.

Last, you cannot forget that this is a BMW and in the US BMW's are luxury cars. The cars they compete against have lots of features as standard. It's normal in this market to have these features.

I do agree on the rain sensing wipers but I've gotten used to it and rarely need the mist setting.

Thanks, Mike.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
Rains-sensing wipers: For me, interval would be better most of the time
Haven't really had much rain, so I can't really comment on it. But I agree there should be some intermittent setting instead of rain sensing, low, and high.

Quote:
Leather seats: I looked at a friends 12 year old Audi A6 with leather. It looks like shit compared to my wife's cloth 11 year old Accord, which looks almost new. Even my 2 year old car is starting to show wear on the driver's seat. Cloth seats wear better (these days) breathe better on hot days, don't feel as hot in the summer or as cold in the winter, and are cheaper. Other than looking expensive (when the car is new), I really can't think of any advantages of leather. I'd rather save the money.
Leatherette wears better, but still has the hot/cold/breathability issues as leather (or even worse than leather). But cloth is not considered "luxury" so its not offered here...

Quote:
Power seats: This is my first car with power seats. I can think of only two advantages: adjustability is continous rather than in fixed increments, and if you have comfort access they adjust for you after your spouse drives the car. Other than that, they're REALLY slow to adjust. Ever try to recline them flat to take a little nap? It takes like a MINUTES, rather than two seconds. Moving them forward or backward for another driver also takes about 10x as long. They're also expensive, heavy, and MUCH less reliable.
I rarely take naps or want to recline my seat to lay down in my car, so not an issue for me, but I can see why power seats would be annoying in that regard.

Quote:
Power folding mirrors: I thought this was an absurd gimmich. To my surprise, I use them every day and really appreciate them!
I find them useful in narrow parking spaces, but I try not to park in those kinds of spaces whenever possible, so I don't fold my mirrors often. They should just fold upon locking like MB does.

Quote:
Start button: If you're putting your key in, wouldn't it make sense to just push or turn the key rather than moving your hand somewehre else? That's how the new A4 does it. The start button decreases convenience...unless you have....
I agree, ridiculous. Which is why you get Comfort Access.

Quote:
Comfort access: I like it a LOT more than I expected. Great feature....should be standard. That said, if you park up a mountain with a lot of radio antennas on top, you may not be able to start your car. No shit. I can send you pics of the "key not detected" icon with my key held right next to it. Fortunately, I hadn't turned the car off yet. A traditional style key to start the car as a backup would be very nice.
You can always stick the fob into the slot and it would work as a regular key (as in uses short range RFID for authentication like immobilizer systems in metal keys).

Quote:
Bluetooth, Homelink, Navigation (I don't have nav): OK...these are all great convenience features, but there now common in Toyotas. The first two add about $500 each! $500 for a bluetooth? Try $50. $500 for a friggin garage door opener! How about $40? $2k for a nav system, and $200 for updates! How about $250 for a superior hand-held garmin that you can use in any car, gets free updates, and you can replace in 5 years so it doesn't look like you have an antiquated computer built into your dash. I don't know how they're getting away charging these absurd 1000% over market value prices! (for the record, I bought used)
The price is high, I agree, but it doesn't compare to portable systems IMO. The integration with the car both visually and functionally is what separates it from portable units. For example, you typically have to wait anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes before a portable GPS can grab a signal. Especially if you're in a building or parking structure. Built in navigations are always ready to go since they remember your location from last shutdown and can use the car's compass and speed sensor data to provide navigation until it acquires satellites. BMW's iDrive also gives you additional functions such as parked car climate operation, visual text readout of check control messages, and gives you a much better interface for the various car settings and maintenance information screens. Portable navigations are also huge theft magnets so there's the inconvenience of taking it down and putting it back every time you use it.

Quote:
A regular mechanical trunk latch instead of electric would probably work faster and be more reliable.
I think it has to be electric since when you press the remote button it has to release it electronically.
Appreciate 0