E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Software update - still no mp3 capabilities !!

09-06-2006, 04:22 PM   #1
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Angry Software update - still no mp3 capabilities !!

Just got back from BMW, after they did the software upgrade....and my CD Player still wont read mp3. :mad:

My car is pre Sept 05 production with I-drive, and I tought the software upgrade will fix the mp3 problem...but I guess not...:mad:

any toughts?....
      09-06-2006, 04:34 PM   #2
Barry626
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Coming: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ice

any toughts?....
Do u have navigation? if yes u need CD Changer for MP3.
My car was built June 05 & CD & Changer plays MP3.
I believe CIP 20 gave me the MP3 or CIP 21 will for sure!

Also if u have CD Changer? you need #65-12-6-964-602
First was installed in my car was wrong # 65-12-6-964-601
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2006, 04:44 PM   #3
LWL
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Garage List
No, you don't need to have a Cd changer to play a MP3 for pre-sept 05 cars with i-drive.

I have a pre-sept 05 with i-drive, and took my car to dealer to update the software for the MP3 capability. And now MP3 works fine with my regular in-dash cd player.

When you take your car in, you MUST tell your SA that you want to have the mp3 software update for ur car IN ADDITION to your regular software update. Its not a mandatory update, its an optional, voluntary software update that perform only when the customer requests it. At least, this is what my SA told me.

When I took my car in, I didn't tell him that I wanted to have the mp3 update, so they updated my car without the mp3 part. I called them and told them to do so after they already updated my car. They have to reflash the entire update to the one that can use mp3.
      09-06-2006, 04:53 PM   #4
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I have a July2005 build car and I got a software update to play mp3's on my iDrive equiped car. It will actually require 2 separate software updates.

However, I should add that I have noticed that despite having mp3 capability (without a cd changer), there are many issues with the functionality. I have frequent skipping problems. It has no relation to bumps or scratches on the disk, but it will randomly skip to the next song. But if you replay the song, it will often play without any problems. Then minutes later it will skip again on a totally different song.

Right now I have a loaner car (330xi without iDrive). It plays mp3 disks flawlessly. I have even hit a few significant bumps with only a small delay in sound and it will pick up where it left off. With my iDrive equiped car, a bump will always result in the player skipping to the next song.

My car is at the dealer now for the annual service and I gave them a long list of iDrive complaints. Hopefully they can do something to make it better. Overall, I think iDrive allows a great deal of customization of the cars settings and is very easy to use on a daily basis, but everything seems to be more immediate in a non- iDrive car.

If they could only combine the functionality of iDrive with the speed of a non-iDrive car.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2006, 05:24 PM   #5
LWL
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CnoteMD
However, I should add that I have noticed that despite having mp3 capability (without a cd changer), there are many issues with the functionality. I have frequent skipping problems. It has no relation to bumps or scratches on the disk, but it will randomly skip to the next song. But if you replay the song, it will often play without any problems. Then minutes later it will skip again on a totally different song.
I have the same skipping problems too.
      09-06-2006, 05:35 PM   #6
18LLC
Major General
Rep
Drives: e89

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWL
I have the same skipping problems too.
i don't
      09-06-2006, 05:36 PM   #7
DigiSage
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

I actually brought my car into Harloff BMW in Encinitas, CA, today, exactly for those MP3 skipping problems. I also asked them to fix the extremely slow iDrive response. Here's hoping they put the latest PROGMAN in, the one that doesn't require you confirm the warning message in the beginning.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2006, 07:00 PM   #8
LWL
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiSage
I actually brought my car into Harloff BMW in Encinitas, CA, today, exactly for those MP3 skipping problems. I also asked them to fix the extremely slow iDrive response. Here's hoping they put the latest PROGMAN in, the one that doesn't require you confirm the warning message in the beginning.

Please update us with your car's status. If they have a newer version that fixes MP3 skipping problems, I will bring my car in again.

As for that warning message....... i think that's required by law.
      09-06-2006, 07:04 PM   #9
DigiSage
First Lieutenant
Rep

The message is required by law, but waiting for you to click the button to dismiss it is not required by law. The removal of this button-confirmation isn't some rumor, it's been confirmed as fact.

I just got off the phone with my service guy and he said they didn't find any problems with my car and they will not do a software upgrade on it. I asked if I could pay to have them do it anyway, he said it'd cost $240. So then I thought, why don't I just get the ipod adapter installed, as I know the installation of that requires installing new PROGMAN anyway. I ask him, and he tells me that they can't install it yet because they don't have PROGMAN 23. I know you only need PROGMAN 22.02.01 for the ipod adapter. He still wouldn't help me.

Best part is I can't take my car home tonight, because it's still ripped apart from them fixing a faulty lock actuator.

And there's a whole day wasted, just to try and get mp3s that don't fucking skip. And an iDrive that doesn't take forever.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2006, 07:07 PM   #10
Barry626
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Coming: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWL
No, you don't need to have a Cd changer to play a MP3 for pre-sept 05 cars with i-drive.

I have a pre-sept 05 with i-drive, and took my car to dealer to update the software for the MP3 capability. And now MP3 works fine with my regular in-dash cd player.
When e90 first came out in May 05 non Nav cars get MP3 no problem.
Nav cars was suppose to be via CD Changer & dash CD player.
BMW web-site clearly states this & still does now.

Many Nav. cars without CD Changer got MP3 but wasn't suppose to.
Many Dealers did software updates on cars that they should of not.
BMW got wise & most Dealers? reason why software updates cost now.
Unless u have something specific wrong with your car that warrants CIP updates?
You won't get them unless you pay for them.

CD Changer is now $1,100 installed in new 335i Sedan.
Needs new panel & bracket & 3 hrs software update.
I must need my head examine to pay this much for Changer.
I need to get with the times & go with ipod.

Those Nav cars that have MP3 and no CD Changer.
Seems I'm read tons of post that there's problems not working correct?
I have the CD Changer & never a single problem 15 months now!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2006, 07:32 PM   #11
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiSage
My dealer is doing the same. Although I was having more than just a skipping problem. There were times when iDrive would run so slow that every knob turn or selection would result in up to a 5 second delay. There were also times that the system would just keep slowing down until the whole system locked up! A few times, I had to completely turn the car off to "reset" iDrive (I need a control-alt-delete key!). These crashes would also disconnect my bluetooth phone. I would have to completely re-pair my phone when this happens.

They said they will look into another software update to fix these issues.

In response to another post, most of the software updates weren't automatic. They were only done to address specific software related problems. But the mp3 update was actually on a customer request basis. If you don't ask, they won't automatically perform the update. In fact, around that time there were dealers that wouldn't update the software until some customers mentioned the specific TSB.

I hope to have my car back soon and I will give an update on the iDrive issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2006, 05:39 PM   #12
DigiSage
First Lieutenant
Rep

Update on my end. I got through to the foreman at Harloff and explained my problems to him, after they decided they weren't going to install the new PROGMAN. He opened a PUMA and BMW authorized the upgrade, so they're going to do it now, for free, which is wonderful. Only problem now is the first upgrade crashed which means I can't get my car back until Monday, but hey, I'm happy they're doing it! Yay for Harloff!
Appreciate 0