E46 M3 Coupe and Convertible Forum General E46 M3 Forum

09-11-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
sunburn731
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mtre'

Help Buying 2004 M3 (e46)

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum and wanted some feedback on a possible M3 purchase. This would be my first bimmer..I currently own a 02' audi TT quattro and have tons of issues.... I am looking to buy a 6speed manual 04' m3 with 12,439 miles on it from a auto trader/dealer..I guess there sorta like carmax..but privately owned.

I am a little hesitant because the car has such low miles and is going for 29K. I guess I'm skeptical because the car has hardly been driven..The dealer said its in great shape and has had only 1 owner. But they do not have any maintenance papers etc. There is no warranty either.

1)Whats the reliability like for a 2004 m3? Have you guys had any major problems? Leaks? Suspension, Electrical? etc...Is there something the E46 m3 is prone to?

2) Is there anything in particular I should be looking for when examining this car? and test driving?

3) Would you guys purchase a warranty for this car?

4) Is maintenance on the E46 difficult to do yourself?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 10:45 PM   #2
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

i wouldnt purchase a warranty with only 12k miles...

Wow thats a very nice car and price too...

i had a 03.5 m3 and it had SMG problems..but 6 speeds are awesome..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 11:17 PM   #3
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

www.e46fanatics.com
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 11:51 PM   #4
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburn731 View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum and wanted some feedback on a possible M3 purchase. This would be my first bimmer..I currently own a 02' audi TT quattro and have tons of issues.... I am looking to buy a 6speed manual 04' m3 with 12,439 miles on it from a auto trader/dealer..I guess there sorta like carmax..but privately owned.

I am a little hesitant because the car has such low miles and is going for 29K. I guess I'm skeptical because the car has hardly been driven..The dealer said its in great shape and has had only 1 owner. But they do not have any maintenance papers etc. There is no warranty either.

1)Whats the reliability like for a 2004 m3? Have you guys had any major problems? Leaks? Suspension, Electrical? etc...Is there something the E46 m3 is prone to?

2) Is there anything in particular I should be looking for when examining this car? and test driving?

3) Would you guys purchase a warranty for this car?

4) Is maintenance on the E46 difficult to do yourself?

Thanks.
first of all, m3forum.net is where you want to go

but I'll try my best to answer

second of all, 29k for a 2004 car is a lot of money, so I wouldn't be too skeptical

1. Yes, subframe failure. You need to search up on this, and I believe there is a lawsuit that was won and reinforcement kits you can purchase

2. hmm? look for a sloppy rear, this usually means the subframe is cracked or the RTAB's are worn out

3. Probably not...

4. Not really, the only difficult thing is the valve adjustment, there are DIY's on m3forum.net. Read about it, it may seem hard but a lot of people DIY.
      09-14-2009, 07:49 AM   #5
firewired
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Sdn

You can also call the Austin BMW dealer's service department and they are usually happy to plug the VIN and tell you the car's service history. The can also confirm that the mileage is accurate.
Appreciate 0