E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Lemon Leather crew: Is it hard to keep clean\maintain?

09-18-2006, 12:44 PM   #1
E90T
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90

Lemon Leather crew: Is it hard to keep clean\maintain?

I'm seriously considering Lemon on Jet black. But is it a pain in the ass to keep clean and maintain?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2006, 02:16 PM   #2
sablemagus
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90T
I'm seriously considering Lemon on Jet black. But is it a pain in the ass to keep clean and maintain?
I don't know how the lemon interior is specifically, but I will say that my father leased a Lincoln Navigator with an interior color very similar to the lemon which can be had in the E90 and at the end of the lease (3 years), the leather was VERY dirty and rather hard to clean. I know that's not exactly a good comparison, but I can attest to the fact that black leather tends to hold up better over the long term than other colors. Not sure why, but I've had numerous people (including my BMW sales guy) tell me that in addition to my own experiences with black interiors -- one of the reasons why I chose black this time around.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2006, 02:42 PM   #3
GregL
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 CLA45 AMG

I've had my white on lemon 330xi now for almost 6 weeks, it's no problem at all to keep clean. I bought some disposable leather wipes made by Meguiar's which I use to clean the seating surfaces and armrests once every other week, one sheet per seat so they're fresh. At the same time I vacuum the carpet which is black to begin with so I doubt you'd even notice if there were to be a stain. Also the plastic rear portion of the front seats is black too, so people sitting in the back won't be leaving noticeable scuffmarks with their shoes near the bottom vs an all beige car, I've had 5 people in the car on numerous occassions so far (and with wet shoes from the rain) so I can say that from experience.

Haven't been through a winter yet but I don't see how it would be much different from an all black interior, except again the seats have to be cleaned more regularly to remove the black film from dark clothing and especially leather coats (if you drive with it on).

My personal opinion is that as long as you don't have small children to step all over the seat cushions, and you don't mind wiping down the seats that are regularly used, it shouldn't be a problem.

Edit: Mercedes branded cleaning products are made by Meguiar's, so if it's good enough for them I figure it's good enough for a BMW
2006 BMW 330xi - Gone
2001 Infiniti QX4 - Gone
Appreciate 0