E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Methanol

09-25-2009, 09:42 AM   #1
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Methanol

Hi,

Currently a couple of us are jumping on meth. kits ( snowperformance ).

I fully understand the concept and planned to put a meth. kit on my former X5 3.0d already. I have a couple of questions:

- Nobody concerned about the added hp and torque ? The tranny will have it's limitations.
- Corrosion. Methanol is highly corrosive to aluminium. Why we expect that the N54 will not be impacted ?
- Filling. Having the tank in the trunk is a clean installation. How often does it have to be refilled. You have to see meth as an additional, different fuel type for the engine.

However, thanks to the pioneers who try this on the N54 already and provide experience and hopefully long-term proof for this mod.

Thank you for feedback.

Cheers,
Eugen
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 09:49 AM   #2
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.n335 View Post
Hi,

Currently a couple of us are jumping on meth. kits ( snowperformance ).

I fully understand the concept and planned to put a meth. kit on my former X5 3.0d already. I have a couple of questions:

- Nobody concerned about the added hp and torque ? The tranny will have it's limitations.
- Corrosion. Methanol is highly corrosive to aluminium. Why we expect that the N54 will not be impacted ?
- Filling. Having the tank in the trunk is a clean installation. How often does it have to be refilled. You have to see meth as an additional, different fuel type for the engine.

However, thanks to the pioneers who try this already and provide experience and hopefully long-term proof for this mod.

Thank you for feedback.

Cheers,
Eugen
Eugene, the 2.5 gallon tank lasts a month for me. It all depends on how hard you push the car to be honest.

For me, zero concern about added hp/tq. It is no different then those that have run race gas for a long time. The tranny will hold it, but the clutch may start to slip at some point.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 09:52 AM   #3
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: THE GUY YOU LOVE TO HATE

because of the small amount of meth sprayed and how fast its evaporated into the engine, there is no worries about it corroding anything
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
e.n335
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
Eugene, the 2.5 gallon tank lasts a month for me. It all depends on how hard you push the car to be honest.

For me, zero concern about added hp/tq. It is no different then those that have run race gas for a long time. The tranny will hold it, but the clutch may start to slip at some point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexye92 View Post
because of the small amount of meth sprayed and how fast its evaporated into the engine, there is no worries about it corroding anything
Sounds great so far ...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Sounds great so far ...
Eugene, I have to tell you it is the single highest impact mod I have done to my car only behind my tune. The upsides are just so strong to doing this mod. The fact that you reduce carbon buildup in the engine is also attractive considering some of the N54 issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 10:18 AM   #6
e.n335
Austria
Rep

Now, on any methanol kit a failsafe system will be required. This is for

1) avoiding dropping methanol into the intake in case the methanol-tank is located higher than the nozzle(s) - easy to achieve.

2) falling back to a "safe mode" in case you run out of meth. this can be achieved by piggybacks or by opening the wastegates using a snowperformance addon. How did you implement this ?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 10:23 AM   #7
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

1) avoiding dropping methanol into the intake in case the methanol-tank is located higher than the nozzle(s) - easy to achieve.

2) falling back to a "safe mode" in case you run out of meth. this can be achieved by piggybacks or by opening the wastegates using a snowperformance addon. How did you implement this ?
the solenoid upgrade prevents the meth from accidentally running into the intake

the procede will go into valet mode if you run out, terry is working on doing it too.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 10:26 AM   #8
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexye92 View Post
This is something that has been highly debated many times before. Just take a stroll on over to the EVO & STI forums where they've been doing this for several years now.

FWIW...I personally know one of the most prominent aftermarket Subaru engine builders and he HATES methanol, thinks it's a terrible idea to run it on any car.

I think if you are going to run methanol it is a VERY good idea to change your oil more often.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 10:27 AM   #9
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:

As stated above, the solenoid upgrade is to prevent siphon.

The SafeInjection can function in multiple ways. It triggers a light in the cabin if flow falls below your set flow level. You can buy the optional flow gauge to monitor flow. Lastly, it can open you BOV, wastegates (issue there with vacuum actuated on N54), or send a signal to the piggy to trigger failsafe or valet.

The only drawback really is what the poster above states. Change your oil every 2k miles.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 10:28 AM   #10
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

The wastegate solenoid from snow performance I believe won't work on the N54 as our wastegates are not vacuum controlled.
      09-25-2009, 10:30 AM   #11
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffnbluff View Post
This is something that has been highly debated many times before. Just take a stroll on over to the EVO & STI forums where they've been doing this for several years now.

FWIW...I personally know one of the most prominent aftermarket Subaru engine builders and he HATES methanol, thinks it's a terrible idea to run it on any car.

I think if you are going to run methanol it is a VERY good idea to change your oil more often.
there's always people that will love or hate things like this or any change or something they dont understand. if most professional engine builders said its not good to run meth, then i would doubt it, but there are so many people in this world that dont like change or new things they dont understand, for all we know his engine work has gone down due people using meth to get the extra power instead of paying him to mod their internals
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 10:33 AM   #12
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep

I know a certified HKS tuner who mainly works on Supra's and he swears by meth. The cheapest bang for the buck type mod and it's so easy. You may have seen his personal JEDI supra on youtube, which sadly is now for sale.
      09-25-2009, 10:34 AM   #13
e.n335
Austria
Rep

Quote:
... Change your oil every 2k miles.
You may be right but it seems to me that there are still open questions, in principle. That frequent need for oil-changes concerns me. Can you elaborate ?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 10:35 AM   #14
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

the step tranny will hold up to the hp levels with full bolt on's, meth and tune??
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 10:37 AM   #15
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You may be right but it seems to me that there are still open questions, in principle. That frequent need for oil-changes concerns me.
Even with a tuned car you should change your oil more frequently anyways. I see it from going from every 5k to every 3k with meth.
      09-25-2009, 10:38 AM   #16
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You may be right but it seems to me that there are still open questions, in principle. That frequent need for oil-changes concerns me.
Why would it? People recommend changing oil more frequently just to prevent any concern if water was to get into your oil. Until someone here does a test on the oil, we won't know if 2k oil changes are needed or not.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 10:39 AM   #17
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig@SupremePower View Post
the step tranny will hold up to the hp levels with full bolt on's, meth and tune??
Craig, this is no different than running race gas. There are a ton of guys running race gas and race maps daily. This is not like nitrous where you have a massive torque spike.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 10:39 AM   #18
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Why would it? People recommend changing oil more frequently just to prevent any concern if water was to get into your oil. Until someone here does a test on the oil, we won't know if 2k oil changes are needed or not.
i can have your oil sampled at work, if i send you a bottle would you get a sample when you change your oil?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 10:40 AM   #19
e.n335
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humtek View Post
Even with a tuned car you should change your oil more frequently anyways. I see it from going from every 5k to every 3k with meth.
I'm changing every 6.500 mls. Good thing. But 2-3.000 ? Why ? Sorry ... answered above. So I could have water and methanol in my engine ... well, no proof.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 10:41 AM   #20
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm currently changing every 6.500 mls. Good thing. But 2-3.000 ? Why ?
3,000 was always the rule of thumb for changing oil, til synthetic came out and claimed it would last 7-10000 miles, but they dont mention the contaminants that get into your engine oil and hurt your engine
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 10:42 AM   #21
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm changing every 6.500 mls. Good thing. But 2-3.000 ? Why ?
Personally I would go from changing every 5,000miles (which I do now) to 3,000 - 3,5000miles for the reason that was stated above. There could be a chance of water in the oil. But like Former_Boosted said, we won't know until this is tested which it seems like will be happening soon. Better safe then sorry.
      09-25-2009, 10:44 AM   #22
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep

Which brings up another question...

While using meth would you need to change your plugs more frequently? I was thinking less due to less carbon build up.