E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > My rear side passenger wheel came off...!!!!

11-19-2009, 02:38 PM   #1
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A very fast car :)

My rear side passenger wheel came off...!!!!

Luckily I was driving slow or else I would be in deep trouble. I heard something rumbling when I was driving on the M25 and initially thought I had a flat. Pulled over after a while and checked, and could not see anything wrong.

Just 2 mins from home at the arnos grove roundabout; I heard a few loud bangs, and my rear passenger wheel literally came off!!! All the bolts were sheared off except one. I was flabbergasted to say the least. Luckily the only damage is the wheel hub which still holds the sheared bolts and the inside of the alloy wheel.

Called BMW services; managed to put two bolts back on, and they will haul it to the nearest dealer.

Had a similar issue before when BMW changed brake pads, and the cross scrwed the bolts and had to replace the hub/drum.

Can I claim warranty in this case? Insurance? what are my options? Any BMW dealer guys in here? can you pls help?
      11-19-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
I'd take it back to the place that last dealt with the wheel and have them pay the damages -- if possible.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
What da fcuk?!

Unheard of for me with an M3 or any BMW! I'd take it to the last person that did anything to your car and raise hell on them Jerome. Is there any further damage bodywork, scratches etc?

Last edited by SiKkBaSs; 11-19-2009 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

thats mental, what the F*** indeed
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 03:50 PM   #5
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Jerome, were you running stock wheels (I doubt it), and were there any spacers involved.
I only mention it as it would be an easy out for a dealer (warranty), although it sounds ridiculous, i'm sure it might get mentioned.

Insurance might be your best option if the dealer plays hard ball.

As both Sunny & Floyd have said - who last worked on the car that would involve taking the wheels off, it sounds like they used one nut to secure the wheel, and forgot to fully tighten the other 4.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 04:21 PM   #6
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Could it be that the 4 bolts have been over tightened causing the threads to stretch and eventually sheer?

Either way it's not good and don't want to think about what could have happened tbh!

I agree with the others, take it back to the last place that worked on the wheels if relevant.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 04:52 PM   #7
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
bloody hell Jerome!...hope ur ok mate....actually, was gona call you last time when I first got my car back as i wanted to go for a lil drive ....

BMW is not in my top list atm../..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 05:05 PM   #8
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Jerome, were you running stock wheels (I doubt it), and were there any spacers involved.
I only mention it as it would be an easy out for a dealer (warranty), although it sounds ridiculous, i'm sure it might get mentioned.
+1, was gonna ask the same question. If there were spacers on then surely longer (non OEM BMW) wheels bolts would have been fitted? Bit worrying as that's what I have on the front of mine so am interested to know!

If no spacers were fitted, and the standard OEM BMW wheel bolts are (were!) in use, and BMW were the last people to remove the wheel then surely they must have a level of 'responsibility' - the problem is proving that the wheel has not been removed since. If it was say removed yesterday for a service and then fell off the following day, it is highly unlikely anyone had messed with it and more chance of a dealer playing ball. The fact your car is modded won't help as they will claim that other 'parties' obviously mess with it and likely that someone else is to blame. Anything to wriggle out of a claim is my guess

Hope you get it sorted out matey and without too much expense & hassle !!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 03:11 PM   #9
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE GT3

bloody hell mate I know how you feel .
      11-21-2009, 04:16 AM   #10
Arch Stanton
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i touring

you could also check as to whether the wheel studs are single use only (if they are made to stretch when torqued, re using the same stretched bolt may be a cause)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 05:05 AM   #11
Tunna_uk
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Never heard of single use wheel bolts???? sounds like they either worked loose or were left loose. Sadly this happens more often than you think. Mechanics rarely use a torque wrench, most rely on the air gun.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 05:18 AM   #12
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Same here, never heard of single use wheel nuts/bolts!

I think the trouble here, unless work has very recently been carried out at said wheel location is PROVING that something had been left loose etc....

So when was anything done at that wheel location?