E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HPFP - Maybe its time for some action

12-01-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
D335I
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07, 6SPD, WHITE, RED INTR

HPFP - Maybe its time for some action

Maybe its not that big of an issue but I see a lot of HPFP post and I had one replaced and was told "yeah its just a bad design".

Getting it replaced is a nice thing to do but fixing the damn thing right shows you still can make a good car and care about your customer.

I had a old MGB years ago and we didn't have the internet access but did meet once a month. We discovered various common issues that the local dealer would not address or just swept under the carpet.

One Saturday about 25 of us in the area painted our cars and circled the dealership with horns a blowing and signs that said fix our cars, MG's are junk, Im overheating again (one actually did), no more band aids, don't by MGB etc…

Police said as long as we are driving there was nothing they could do and one previously owned a MB and was all smiles.

Told the dealership this is the first warning and we planned a bigger event for the following weekend with about 40-50 cars with wife's, kids, hot dogs, etc... and a bigger one end of month in two cities.

Our fearless leader got a call 5pm that day, "Stop, we need to talk" 30 days later we were on a list for new radiators, smog pumps if needed, window cranks etc...

Some cars didn't have the same problems but they sure didn't like the fact that nothing was being done and stood with us.

Imagine 200 BMWs outside your local dealer in a planned event demanding legitimate fixes or permanent HPFP fix's, squeaky brakes on my 50K car, etc…Would make me think twice about buying BMW and if I was BMW would make me think this could be bad.

Most have warranties but once those are gone BMW will cash in.

We have options, email floods, flood the main BMW switch boards, local protest, HIGH Pressure works when done right.

Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 09:49 PM   #2
jimk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

That's great if you find an organizer to do it, in each major city across the country. I strongly believe that if the media (TV stations would be great) makes a story about it, especially one that airs up nationally, then we would see BMW doing the right thing for their customers. The timing would be perfect as well, right after a major Toyota recall. It took Toyota a few years (and many accidents and deaths) before they did something about it. My neighbor was going to buy a Toyota Sienna and they got a Honda Odyssey instead. This type of negative publicity hurts but only when consumers hear about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 10:18 PM   #3
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

With the correct leadership and organization, it would work.

Sadly, that will be nearly impossible.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 10:43 PM   #4
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

...except there is no new HPFP, so really, I dont think it would make much of a difference past pissing off your local dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 10:45 PM   #5
ianthegreat
Colonel
Rep
Drives: n54

The dealer does not design the HPFP. But I guess if you grief the dealers enough, word will move up. Eh I just don't see how a dealer has anything to do with this.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 10:54 PM   #6
Zero.7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340i AW M-Sport

If some how mainstream news media across the country did a small segment on this subject (even if only a 5 minute segment) during prime time, MAYBE BMW would finally get off their asses and find a permanent solution for this problem. Like with Toyota of recent, it would would probably take a few automotive accidents/dealths (unfortunately) involving HPFP failure to wake these guys up!

'16 f30 AW 340i M-sport
8-speed Auto
BMW ///M Performance Power and Sound Kit with Carbon Tips / Gloss Black Performance grilles
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 01:00 AM   #7
D335I
Private First Class
Rep

Dealers are an extension of their product and as a business its no different "its all business". But they sure are nice when they want to sell you something, let something go wrong and given the opportunity they will almost certainly try to snake their way out of it. Not all the time, lets be fair, their is some good customer service out there.

Most people who work for these companies are no different than you and I and If done right with respect would only agree that maybe they (BMW) should, could do a better job. Or, maybe their smart enough to not by the 335 until the HPFP is fixed.

The Big cheese is the one you need to get to, and a negative message to the masses is the type of thing that gets their attention. Even small local stories get attention and with the threat of larger protests may just wake up the giant.

BMW selling what could be perceived as a bad or subpar unreliable product and or poor product support, this is a big deal and should be. But then everybody will think 335i'a are problematic, not true like most cars

If we don't keep them honest believe me they start to take advantage and thats exactly what they are doing now.

"Well it kind of works, should last a while if your a lucky one and if it breaks don't worry will replace it after you complain enough or it fails or we think its ready to fail".

Thats Bull shit, Its the principal and even if in the end nothing was done it might embarrass them enough to wake them up to the fact that people expect and demand more in a $50k BMW.

Sorry, It may not even be a big deal, heck they will give you a new one. What else can you ask for other than one that works like in all the other cars and don't have to worry about.

Just doesn't sit well and I have a extended warranty for longer than I'll own the car.

Maybe i'm wrong and its a reasonable deal. I just hate when big companies take advantage or snake their way out of doing the right thing.

Always ready to throw down with the little guys though.

I'm done.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 01:12 AM   #8
GnokGnik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997 C2S

BMW currently thinks that it would be more profitable to just "repair" our squeaky breaks and replace our HPFP every time we go to the dealers instead of just fixing the design. This of course means that the estimated cost of finding a solution to the problem(s) is more costly than replacing HPFP's for 10 years and 120,000 miles and doing whatever they are doing with the squeaky brakes.

I don't think it is as simple as protesting to get them to fix the problem. I don't think BMW has a $3000 HPFP in their closets that is bulletproof. I think they are really trying, but just can't find a solution that wouldn't require a general overhaul of the N54.

Hopefully the N55 is.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 01:13 AM   #9
D335I
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianthegreat View Post
The dealer does not design the HPFP. But I guess if you grief the dealers enough, word will move up. Eh I just don't see how a dealer has anything to do with this.
Your right but the dealer sold me the car not BMW and now the dealer is at the mercy of BMW like we are.

Not 100% fair I agree and Im all about being fair but they are the connection to the giant and they like we are all in this together.

Maybe the newer cars will have a better HPFP and they will start installing those as the old units break.

I dont know, I just hate feeling that someone is taking advantage because the can.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 01:18 AM   #10
D335I
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnokGnik View Post
BMW currently thinks that it would be more profitable to just "repair" our squeaky breaks and replace our HPFP every time we go to the dealers instead of just fixing the design. This of course means that the estimated cost of finding a solution to the problem(s) is more costly than replacing HPFP's for 10 years and 120,000 miles and doing whatever they are doing with the squeaky brakes.

I don't think it is as simple as protesting to get them to fix the problem. I don't think BMW has a $3000 HPFP in their closets that is bulletproof. I think they are really trying, but just can't find a solution that wouldn't require a general overhaul of the N54.

Hopefully the N55 is.
Your probably right, I just hate hearing all the stories and knowing there is not a real fix in the plan and we just have to live with it because its cheaper for them to just replace as needed.

Its always something with cars.

Later.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 10:49 AM   #11
Andy74
Rep
Drives: 2006 Acura TL, 6sp

This is the only reason why I won't buy a e90 335. I feel that a 328 is not much of an upgrade from my current car (yes I drove 328 and 335, would order stripped 335 w/ZSP today if HPFP was not an issue).

Can you imagine what will happen to the resale value of this car if this issue is not fixed permanently?

I'm not bashing 335, I love the car's design, performance, but I just cannot convince myself that it would be OK to take this car on a trip with 2 small kids, thinking HPFP might leave me stranded.

I hope this BMW NA Customer relations people are reading this thread (I know they read others). BMW, it's really time to FIX this issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 10:57 AM   #12
mfstout
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 328i Coupe

I only have a lowly 328i, but I have always been amazed by this issue. I feel for anyone with the problem. Total bs on BMW's part to not resolve this. I love the company, but I get pissed and I don't even have the hpfp problem. I hope they solve it. The 335's a great car, but it is getting ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 11:03 AM   #13
WAYNEBO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I agree on the HPFP, squeaky brakes and turbo wastegate issues. These are all problem areas that are really hurting the 335i's rep and resale value -- I've seen other car forums where these things are even talked about in detail.

If BMW were to fix these problems, they would have happier loyalists, more converts, and a bigger fanboy tuner base (ie Supra, Z, M3) -- which in my opinion, is what helps sells cars. How many times have we all seen a modded ride that prompted us to look into buying it?
      12-02-2009, 11:45 AM   #14
Andy74
Rep
Drives: 2006 Acura TL, 6sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfstout View Post
I only have a lowly 328i, but I have always been amazed by this issue. I feel for anyone with the problem. Total bs on BMW's part to not resolve this. I love the company, but I get pissed and I don't even have the hpfp problem. I hope they solve it. The 335's a great car, but it is getting ridiculous.
I don't think 328i can be considered "lowly". It's a beautiful car, that (if properly equipped) is a joy to drive and own. If I was in the market now, I 'd get the 328i. 335i would convince me to upgrade today, assuming that HPFP / turbo wastegates issues are fixed. I don't consider squeaky brakes to be a showstopper.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #15
FJc335
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: platinum bronze e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
This is the only reason why I won't buy a e90 335. I feel that a 328 is not much of an upgrade from my current car (yes I drove 328 and 335, would order stripped 335 w/ZSP today if HPFP was not an issue).

Can you imagine what will happen to the resale value of this car if this issue is not fixed permanently?

I'm not bashing 335, I love the car's design, performance, but I just cannot convince myself that it would be OK to take this car on a trip with 2 small kids, thinking HPFP might leave me stranded.

I hope this BMW NA Customer relations people are reading this thread (I know they read others). BMW, it's really time to FIX this issue.

That's exactly how i felt when I drove to Florida last month from NJ. I had my 3 yo with me and keep thinking in my head about the HPFP and the runflat. That was my second trip driving the e92. The first time I drove there i didn't even know about the HPFP issue. Luckily, the whole trip worked out great. But would I do it again with the e92, most likely not. Not taking more chances.

Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #16
BoxerGT2.5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Why come up with a fix when people still buy the car knowing they are going to face this issue. Seriously, just stop buying the friggin car and simple economics will work the problem out for everyone. But much like idiot Cub fans, you can run a turd out on the field and they still pack the stadium.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 12:13 PM   #17
undecided
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M5 Sapphire Black

Garage List
2008 335xi SOLD!!!! ...  [0.00]
2008 M5  [0.00]
BMW NA Relations are aware of the issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post

I emailed them about it and I explained to them that the brand is getting a bad rap on the internet because of this one issue. I got back a reply saying they are aware of the problem and are trying their best but there was no real information in their reply as to whether they intend on producing a fix or not.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #18
burberry
Caffeine Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

how can you tell if your HPFP is shot anyway?
      12-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #19
undecided
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M5 Sapphire Black

Garage List
2008 335xi SOLD!!!! ...  [0.00]
2008 M5  [0.00]
true

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerGT2.5 View Post
Why come up with a fix when people still buy the car knowing they are going to face this issue. Seriously, just stop buying the friggin car and simple economics will work the problem out for everyone. But much like idiot Cub fans, you can run a turd out on the field and they still pack the stadium.
When I bought mine the issue had not surfaced yet or at least it wasn't as widespread. Also, most buyer's expectation is that the company will own up to the issue and will permanently correct it over the life of the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 01:43 PM   #20
CarForHire
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow in the left lane.

Garage List
2007 E90 328i  [0.00]
My local dealership tried to tell me it was a problem with 08 335's only, and the new ones were fixed....
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 02:17 PM   #21
deathsightx
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Has anyone looked into if cars overseas are having this problem? I'm just curious to see if its as prevelant in europe because I've heard their gas is better, which may be part of the problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 02:33 PM   #22
citrixscu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 335i EB II

Here we go again.....

BMW will *not* fix the HPFP. They already made their statement, and it was in the form of an extended warranty on the part. N55 is already in testing and it makes more sense for them to replace bad ones than rework the N54 or its flaky HPFP. Additionally, I'm sure that the small percentage of BMW enthusiasts on this site is not an accurate representation of the entire N54 driverbase anyway.
Appreciate 0