E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Need insight.. possibly moving into 335 coupe from e46 M3

12-02-2009, 08:37 AM   #1
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Need insight.. possibly moving into 335 coupe from e46 M3

New to the forums and looking for some advice... I posted this up in the general forum before realizing there was a more appropriate forum for it.

I am currently the owner of a 04 e46 M3 vert and I am contemplating moving into a 07 335 coupe.

My M3 is pretty modified, about as modified as you can go without the F/I route; 4.10, headers, full exhaust, software, pullies, etc. (310rwhp.) The car is very quick, but I am looking for something a little newer and little larger.

I am primarily interested in the modifications available for the 335i and their impacts on reliability of the engine/drivetrain/transmission etc.

I know the short list of modifications;

ECU software
DP(catted and catless)
FMIC
exhaust
intake..

etc.

What I am really trying to figure out is; first, whats are the highest numbers that I can put down running basic off the shelf bolt ons, and second, can I do this reliably? I do not want to run water/meth injection, I want it to run off of straight 93 pump.

What kinds of things will I have to be aware of in terms of reliability; fuel pumps, turbo longevity, clutch capabilities, etc??

The car will be under warranty so I don't want to totally screw myself with unreversible mods.. software can always be reversed.

I have seen some off the ECU offerings from Vishnu, AMS, AA, Juice Box.. more than likely I would be going for the JB3 software.

I am aware of many of the offerings but I need some modified owners to chime in with their trials and tribulations. Please forgive my noobness, I am new to the e92 scene.

I know many of you are just going to tell me to move into a e92 M3, but I cannot justify it financially at the moment.

TIA

- Colin
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

There are lots of options out there. You need to search and choose what you like best.
You need:
ECU tune:
Piggyback: Jb3 or Procede are the most popular one
Flash: i have GIAC and its great
Intercooler:
the stock intercooler is too small. you need to upgrade it straight away. there are many options, i have Helix and very happy with it
Exhaust:
Get Catless downpipes: AR are the best
You can keep the rest stock or just change the mufflers.
Intake: Dual cone from Burgertuning or Injen intake are my favorite.
Thats it
Check this sticky too, lots of info and links: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90706
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
rooster3.0
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

A tune alone will put down more peak hp/tq than your M3. The real difference is how and when both cars achieve this. The M3 has a very linear powerband and revs very high. The 335 gives you instant torque and then smooth power to redline(6700).

I'd be more concerened with the suspension on the 335. Even with the sport package it's way too soft. Coming from an M3 you may feel like your steering a boat. I'm sure you'll be happy with a 335. My friend had the identical M3 you describe and I was always able to pull on him and that was just with my Vishnu V1. However, when we would switch cars, it seemed like the M3 handled it's speed better. Nothing that some coilovers and sways can't fix though.

GL
      12-02-2009, 09:05 AM   #4
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Yeah you can fix the suspensions for about 3000 USD with M3 parts and coilovers. This way you will basically have almost M3 like setup with much more power. Thats what i am running.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the replies.. I have actually driven a 335i sedan and I liked it a lot. I did notice the handling, its a radical difference when compared to the tightness of the M, but its a different animal and can be expected. My car being a convertible doesn't do track work, I'm sure a coupe would be even more drastic.

The car I drove was stock and it felt fairly quick, but the power delivery was so much different.. obviously.

I would still say my M3 "felt" faster, a 4.10 makes a huge difference in tq delivery on the s54.. my vert pulls easily on coupes.

______

That aside, what kinds of reliability issues are you guys running into with the engine upgrades?

I already know I am going to mod the cr@p out of the car, its just screaming for it. I don't know why anyone would buy a 335 over a 328 to just leave it stock.. but that's just me.. I might as well embrace it and avoid temporary denial.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 09:50 AM   #6
rooster3.0
Major
Rep

I'm on my second 335i. My first one had the usual issues(hpfp and Vanos solenoid). This has been ok..........so far.
      12-02-2009, 10:06 AM   #7
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster3.0 View Post
I'm on my second 335i. My first one had the usual issues(hpfp and Vanos solenoid). This has been ok..........so far.
This is on a tuned or stock car?

I've heard that BMW is replacing fuel pumps for 120k/10 years at no charge, is that accurate? Good ole' Vanos.. some things never change.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 10:17 AM   #8
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

HPFP might be your biggest inconvenience...since you're looking at an 07'. I had the same dilemma buying my car earlier this year. Used M3 (10K miles only!) or New 335i. I went with the latter for the following reasons:

1) Mod-a-bility was higher and less expensive to accomplish
2) New BMW tech and interior trim. I do like the driver biased interior set-up of the E46, but just new trim, gadgets, and fit finish of the newer cars is just better. iDrive isn't great, but better than what was in the E46 Navi.
3) Warranty issues on M cars (not many used were CPO'd)

Seems like you've done the E46 for a while, time for a change perhaps. The 335i power and experience won't dissapoint as long as you're modding it. At minimum, suspension and shifter kit.

GL on your decision!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 10:22 AM   #9
burberry
Caffeine Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
There are lots of options out there. You need to search and choose what you like best.
You need:
ECU tune:
Piggyback: Jb3 or Procede are the most popular one
Flash: i have GIAC and its great
Intercooler:
the stock intercooler is too small. you need to upgrade it straight away. there are many options, i have Helix and very happy with it
Exhaust:
Get Catless downpipes: AR are the best
You can keep the rest stock or just change the mufflers.
Intake: Dual cone from Burgertuning or Injen intake are my favorite.
Thats it
Check this sticky too, lots of info and links: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90706
+1 , good overview of everything. how much did the helix intercooler cost you?
      12-02-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by burberry View Post
+1 , good overview of everything. how much did the helix intercooler cost you?
950 bucks
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 10:29 AM   #11
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
HPFP might be your biggest inconvenience...since you're looking at an 07'. I had the same dilemma buying my car earlier this year. Used M3 (10K miles only!) or New 335i. I went with the latter for the following reasons:

1) Mod-a-bility was higher and less expensive to accomplish
2) New BMW tech and interior trim. I do like the driver biased interior set-up of the E46, but just new trim, gadgets, and fit finish of the newer cars is just better. iDrive isn't great, but better than what was in the E46 Navi.
3) Warranty issues on M cars (not many used were CPO'd)

Seems like you've done the E46 for a while, time for a change perhaps. The 335i power and experience won't dissapoint as long as you're modding it. At minimum, suspension and shifter kit.

GL on your decision!
My M CPO just expired in late October..

I love my M3, I have only had it for about a year now, I just get a new car about every year or 2. I would like to get an e92 M3, but I am just a little unsure with some big things coming up in my life financially speaking.

I am just concerned with destroying the turbo's with higher boost level, etc..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 10:50 AM   #12
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenfifteen View Post
My M CPO just expired in late October..

I love my M3, I have only had it for about a year now, I just get a new car about every year or 2. I would like to get an e92 M3, but I am just a little unsure with some big things coming up in my life financially speaking.

I am just concerned with destroying the turbo's with higher boost level, etc..
The Turbos are actually pretty durable, I haven't heard of nearly as many Turbo Failures as in the B5 S4 world. Usually the failures are the turbos are on the wastegate bushings, but that is a warranty fix.

What you will lose is the razor sharp handling on the E46 M3, but as others have mentioned, if you have some extra money, you can get the M3 suspension bits to help with that.

BUT with a decent set of coils and a nice tune, you will have a very satisfying car to drive.

As Note: i have 41,000 miles approx 35K miles tuned, I have had many warranty issues, but nothing directly related to a tune.

Luck of the draw on these cars...Just make sure you have 1-2 years of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 10:54 AM   #13
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
The Turbos are actually pretty durable, I haven't heard of nearly as many Turbo Failures as in the B5 S4 world. Usually the failures are the turbos are on the wastegate bushings, but that is a warranty fix.

What you will lose is the razor sharp handling on the E46 M3, but as others have mentioned, if you have some extra money, you can get the M3 suspension bits to help with that.

BUT with a decent set of coils and a nice tune, you will have a very satisfying car to drive.

As Note: i have 41,000 miles approx 35K miles tuned, I have had many warranty issues, but nothing directly related to a tune.

Luck of the draw on these cars...Just make sure you have 1-2 years of warranty.
Could you elaborate on this a little more?

I am more than likely going to get an '07 with 30-35k on it. I am wondering if I should try and find a car with an extended warranty. Are these warranty necessary cars?

I would say the M3's are definitely warranty necessary cars, but they have been around for a while and there are parts every where, you just need to be creative.

Last edited by ///M3THOD; 12-02-2009 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 11:02 AM   #14
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Quote:
Could you elaborate on this a little more?

I am more than likely going to get an '07 with 30-35k on it. I am wondering if I should try and find a car with an extended warranty. Are these warranty necessary cars?

I would say the M3's are definitely warranty necessary cars, but they have been around for a while and there are parts every where, you just need to be not creative.
Well I had a lot of EXPENSIVE repairs, but luckily I have warranty, I would go for a CPO car if you can.

Example:

Camshafts
VANOS system
Fuel Injectors (200-300 a piece)
--------------------------------------

Without warranty these would be THOUSANDS in parts and labor, also some repair items like injectors require BMW tech to calibrate each injector to the motor as these are DI motos and have more sophisticated injectors.

But most of my issues are because I had an early build N54, I think the newer builds have resolved these issues. I also got the updated parts installed so I should be good to go. But yes...make sure you get a car with warranty as well as service history. Also inspect the ECO box for extraneous wear and tear and signs of modifications. I am sure there are local ATL members would can help you with inspections for a 6 pack of beer or something.

Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 11:23 AM   #15
rooster3.0
Major
Rep

Quote:
This is on a tuned or stock car?

I've heard that BMW is replacing fuel pumps for 120k/10 years at no charge, is that accurate? Good ole' Vanos.. some things never change.
Both cars tuned. The first one was tuned for ~45k. The new one was tuned with 12 miles on it and has been ever since.