E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Display laptop screen on CIC monitor (non-iDrive)?

12-29-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
leeuk10
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2005 330d (E90)

Display laptop screen on CIC monitor (non-iDrive)?

Hi, nice forum!

I have a 2005 E90 330d Sedan non-iDrive. As the car is non-iDrive I don't have the double scooped dash containing a monitor.

I would like to change my dash and buy the new BMW CIC monitor (the one with the higher resolution) but instead of connecting it to an iDrive system I would like it to display the output from a car PC.

I don't know what connections are on the back of the new CIC monitor.

Could someone please tell me if it is possible to link the new style monitor to a car PC (laptop)? I know it wouldn't fit directly, I would have to purchase additional hardware to go in-between, but is this possible?

Hope someone can shed some light!

Lee
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Why wouldn't you just buy an aftermarket screen and a dash kit?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

+1
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #4
fdsasdasdf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeuk10 View Post
Could someone please tell me if it is possible to link the new style monitor to a car PC (laptop)? I know it wouldn't fit directly, I would have to purchase additional hardware to go in-between, but is this possible?
I'd say that it would definitely be possible. If you take it apart and find where the internal (probably) internal VGA connection/ribbon is between the iDrive screen and the iDrive computer itself and solder a VGA cable to those connection points, you could theoretically get it to work. Check out a wiring diagram to see.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

I would say its possible, the screen must have a VGA link, but its just a guess. And it would be a very nice mod
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 06:59 PM   #6
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90, 335i

Hmm..interesting dilemma..

The new high-def CID has a weird resolution of 1280x480 that you would have to deal with. Also, it connects with a new (also weird) 2-wire serial connection - not at all a PC standard. Also, it needs to be switched "on" via the CAN wiring, which I don't know just "happens" with the key or with a CIC hooked-up. I will try to remember to check that out when I retrofit my CIC (upcoming!)

Nonetheless, it sure would look good and clean in a OEM dash setup! I bet you could get a new-style LVDS interrupt adapter (when they are made for the new 2-wire LVDS cable) and just plug video in from there, although I would hope you could find one with a VGA adapter or something better than straight composite video.

Definitely a project worth considering on the bench first! Keep in mind those CID's retail new for $1800 (but can be had in the $600 region (used) if you look hard)
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 07:16 PM   #7
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

For the money and quality of display, its might actually be better that you go with an aftermarket display that you can really control and get correct resolution and display quality from. I can't imagine trying to adjust brightness using CAN bus on the OEM CID with a carputer. A widescreen monitor that small might be hard to find, but you could always use a normal aspect monitor and use the bezel from a BMW "business" CID (trim to fit, etc..) That should be cheap and easy to acquire too... from an old e90 or e60 - and it would maintain a clean install look if done right..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 08:13 PM   #8
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

+1

The screen has F-ed up resolution too. I do believe I once saw a computer hooked up to it and the image was very awkward. In reality, the best solution is to get a nice in dash screen, the double-din dash kit, and hook it up. Its been dont plenty of times with plenty of different products. Using the BMW screen is probably a waste of time.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 07:29 AM   #9
leeuk10
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2005 330d (E90)

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Booster, yes that’s why I would prefer to use the OEM dash setup as it should look much more clean and professional.

I don't think I could deal with the 1280x480 resolution on the CID, I don't think I could get a carputer to output that resolution. I would probably go down the route of acquiring an 8" monitor and then fixing it in the CID housing replacing the OEM panel. This would work out cheaper as well. Good idea about using the bezel from the 'business' system. It would have to be trimmed down to size though.

It would be good to use a touch screen but unfortunately the CID housing has a plastic front so there would be no way of touching the screen.

I'm now looking at ways of controlling the carputer. I need some kind of iDrive controller knob. I'm sure I've seen a USB type thing somewhere...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 12:12 AM   #10
Apander
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

First post, love the forum.

I bought my 335i sedan 5 days ago and i am already looking to mod it. I was thinking about going the same route with the OEM nav hump and fit in a 8" widescreen for my car pc.

I have a question for Booster, i read your whole thread on the swap you did and have the pdf write up. what i couldnt find out was, if you swap the dash and keep the original controls; radio, climate and seat warmers. Will they integrate seamlessly back into the same place?

Also, do i have to find the trim that surrounds the OEM iDrive screen or does that come with the 2 hump dashboard?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 01:09 AM   #11
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well, the original radio won't fit. Climate controls are the same, they just get moved, as do the seat heater switches (into a bezel for the CCC) - if you are doing a car-puter and plan to use the original radio, you will have to custom make/mount the professional radio to work.

The trim that surrounds the CID/i-drive screen comes with it. I suggested earlier using a "business" CID, as you could remove the LCD from the back and have a bezel to trim (plus the "business" CID's are cheap)
Appreciate 0