E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > heating issues

01-03-2010, 11:20 PM   #1
campbelly
AC Schnitzel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

heating issues

so i got back from vacation yesterday (about 2 and a half weeks) and obviously had not started my car for all that time. It is winter here (about -15) After a 20 second crank it finally started, i let it warm up for ten minutes and realized my main vents were not blowing any air at all, even when i turned on the AC...my defroster seems to work fine, but i get nothing, not even cold air out of the mains..i left the car over night and posted on the forum...

today:
someone told me i must drive the car in order for heat to come (not just idle), so i drove it today for about 15 minutes each way to where i was going..it started off the same (zero air coming from main vents)...eventually i got a tiny amount of hot air coming from the vents..but nothing close to what it used to be..i tried turning up the air to full blast but it seems to only put out as much air as two bars does (normally) on the display and nothing more..when i turn it up to max it only outputs as much air as about two bars up..do i need to visit the dealer? or does anyone know a reason for why this has happened..thanks!
      01-04-2010, 12:02 AM   #2
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

heat comes out of the bottom and top vents. the center dash vents dont blow heat unless you manually select it.

is the car still cold as it its not blowing ANY heat anywhere? or do you just not feel it coming out of the dash vents?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 12:08 AM   #3
campbelly
AC Schnitzel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
heat comes out of the bottom and top vents. the center dash vents dont blow heat unless you manually select it.

is the car still cold as it its not blowing ANY heat anywhere? or do you just not feel it coming out of the dash vents?
the only place i can feel any air when i start the car is if i manually select the windshield defrost (even if i manually select feet, body, or the other setting "up" nothing come out, not even cold)..once the cars warmed up and i drive a bit, i can feel minimal heat coming form the main vents when manually selected (even if turned up all the way)..it seems to not go higher than the normal equivalent to the second bar (in terms of airflow) even if i set it to the max setting
      01-04-2010, 12:28 AM   #4
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

do you have the knob on the center vents turned to the blue side?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 12:37 AM   #5
campbelly
AC Schnitzel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
do you have the knob on the center vents turned to the blue side?
every one is set to red...and they are all turned to the on position as well
      01-04-2010, 08:21 PM   #6
AlbAtRoS
Gestapo
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

does the blower work at all? because if u drive and some vent comes through this is normal because the car is moving.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 08:23 PM   #7
AlbAtRoS
Gestapo
Rep

it looks like you an issue with IHKA control module
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 08:27 PM   #8
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
I have the same problem. No forced air. Just hot air from the engine. I noticed it today when I was dropping my car off at the dealer. I dropped the car off at 10AM and my SA called me and told me they were replacing my blower under warranty. It's strange though because it was working at 1AM last night. I'll post back to let you know if its fixed tomorrow when I get my car back.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 08:37 PM   #9
AlbAtRoS
Gestapo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
I have the same problem. No forced air. Just hot air from the engine. I noticed it today when I was dropping my car off at the dealer. I dropped the car off at 10AM and my SA called me and told me they were replacing my blower under warranty. It's strange though because it was working at 1AM last night. I'll post back to let you know if its fixed tomorrow when I get my car back.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 10:07 PM   #10
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbelly View Post
so i got back from vacation yesterday (about 2 and a half weeks) and obviously had not started my car for all that time. It is winter here (about -15) After a 20 second crank it finally started, i let it warm up for ten minutes and realized my main vents were not blowing any air at all, even when i turned on the AC...my defroster seems to work fine, but i get nothing, not even cold air out of the mains..i left the car over night and posted on the forum...

today:
someone told me i must drive the car in order for heat to come (not just idle), so i drove it today for about 15 minutes each way to where i was going..it started off the same (zero air coming from main vents)...eventually i got a tiny amount of hot air coming from the vents..but nothing close to what it used to be..i tried turning up the air to full blast but it seems to only put out as much air as two bars does (normally) on the display and nothing more..when i turn it up to max it only outputs as much air as about two bars up..do i need to visit the dealer? or does anyone know a reason for why this has happened..thanks!
The hot air in the E9x series comes on quite quickly, as it does in most cars that have electric water pump. The car will provide heating even when it is warmed up by idling the engine. The heating works much like in other cars - just make sure that your fan works.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 10:27 PM   #11
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

seen this a few times...if no codes its likely a radiator..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 03:30 PM   #12
Ranger_e90
Canada
Rep
Drives: 325xi

I have the same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbelly View Post

today:
I have the same problem after gone for 3 weeks, its looks like the blower regulator is burnt out ( its like resistors for each fan speed.)

my blower wont go past 3 bars...

2 01/09/2007 N/A 9146765 BLOWER REGULATOR 1 6927090
02 31/05/2004 02/10/2007 6927090 BLOWER REGULATOR 1
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #13
blegare
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328 xDrive 2013

I had exactly the same problme this morning... Did you go to the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 04:06 PM   #14
J02 335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkswackin View Post
seen this a few times...if no codes its likely a radiator..
Please explain, never heard of anything like this before.

Sport pack, JB3, Dci, factory oil cooler, 18" M3 reps, Michelin PSS, painted trim, black grills, smoked side markers, LED plate lights, H&R coils, Borla catback
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 12:02 PM   #15
wingman21
Rep
Drives: 328i xDrive 2009

I'm having the same problem. For me its the blower fan and the defroster. Happens when its very cold outside, the rest of the time it functions normally. My car is at the dealer right now so I will know more later.
      01-31-2011, 04:40 PM   #16
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Just to let you guys know...a known problem for the blower failing is because water drips on top of it, from the windshield cowl cover.

There is a TSB out for the cover shrinking and leaking water into the passenger side footwell area.....the blower is located under the fuse panel, right above the passenger footwell.

I can't find the TSB because the site has been reworked and non-registered users cannot see TSBs for free now.

The blower is NOT covered under this TSB, only the cowl cover is. The part isn't that expensive and it's an easy install....easy preventative maintenance.
Appreciate 0