E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Upgrading from Procede Rev 1 to..?

02-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #1
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Upgrading from Procede Rev 1 to..?

As the topic indicates I am thinking of upgrading from my Procede Rev 1, which I have enjoyed but I am looking to possibly move on. Basically I am going to keep the car stock other then the ECU tune. I am wondering if I will notice substantial gains upgrading or if I should just stick with the Rev 1.

My research + limited knowledge;
I recently read Shiv's thread where he released the new maps and; I like the safety features as summers get hot in NYC and I would like to track the car, also the upshift adjustment sounds great. I also like the idea of being able to erase codes (but can i check and erase all codes?), and the data logging is a plus but not necessary.

In regards to the JB3 I understand version 2.0 is coming out and read reviews of the beta software and people are raving. I hear the power delivery is not as smooth as the Procede, but i kind of want to feel it for myself. lastly According to N54tuning.com, the comparisons show minimal differences whp- and tq-wise procede to JB3.

My questions;

Will I realize noticable gains upgrading from my Rev 1?
Is it worth shelling out 1g?
Will i notice gains by switching to the JB3 2.0 obviously from the Rev 1?

lastly i hope all posters can at least answer the below question.
Should I upgrade? If yes Rev2 or JB3 2.0?

Please try to keep on topic, im not trying to start a war. lol
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Yes you can view/clear all codes (as in tuner "hidden" codes, etc). And soon it will have selective auto-clearing for those types of codes.

Folks who like procede products will say Rev 2/v4, folks who like JB products will say JB3. Both offer money back guarantees, try em both and see what YOU like better.

I obviously think you should give V4 a whirl, you won't want to even try anything else after feeling it.

Last edited by jpsimon; 02-08-2010 at 12:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

A little off the wall but I thought I would throw this out there, I've heard of a few customers upgrading from V3->JB3 by reusing their REV1 PnP connectors with a new JB3 Pin Out. It would lower the cost a bit and you'd still get the latest JB3 G3 hardware.

Just remove the V3 wires from the harness and then plug in the JB3 wires per this guide.

http://burgertuning.com/instructions...np_upgrade.pdf

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
tomtom
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post

I obviously think you should give V4 a whirl, you won't want to even try anything else after feeling it.
What other tunes have you tried?
To make a statement like this implies you've tried them all...jb3 2.0, GIAC..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by medeiro View Post
As the topic indicates I am thinking of upgrading from my Procede Rev 1, which I have enjoyed but I am looking to possibly move on. Basically I am going to keep the car stock other then the ECU tune. I am wondering if I will notice substantial gains upgrading or if I should just stick with the Rev 1.

I recently read Shiv's thread where he released the new maps and; I like the safety features as summers get hot in NYC and I would like to track the car, also the upshift adjustment sounds great. I also like the idea of being able to erase codes (but can i check and erase all codes?), and the data logging is a plus but not necessary.

In regards to the JB3 I understand version 2.0 is coming out and read reviews of the beta software and people are raving. I hear the power delivery is not as smooth as the Procede, but i kind of want to feel it for myself. lastly According to N54tuning.com, the comparisons show minimal differences whp- and tq-wise procede to JB3.

My questions;

Try both. Or else there is a very good chance that you will regret your decision. Whatever it may be.

And unless you purchased your Rev.1 used, the upgrade price to Rev.2 CANbus is $795, not $1000.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
What other tunes have you tried?
To make a statement like this implies you've tried them all...jb3 2.0, GIAC..
I've tried GIAC and earlier versions of JB3. 2.0 obviously has some improvements over earlier versions, thats why the OP to try out both.

I personally couldn't be happier with the state of my car/tune, thats why I recommend V4 personally.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
I've tried GIAC and earlier versions of JB3. 2.0 obviously has some improvements over earlier versions, thats why the OP to try out both.

I personally couldn't be happier with the state of my car/tune, thats why I recommend V4 personally.
Have you driven a Rev 1? I am curious to see what the difference in performance is compared to the latest version of the procede. My understanding is that he software and maps were identical up until the last two release I believe. Are these latest maps enough of a reason to upgrade to the Rev 2 canbus (Im talking about performance not feature such as code clearing and map switching)?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #8
dtp3347
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver E92 335i

Quote:
Have you driven a Rev 1? I am curious to see what the difference in performance is compared to the latest version of the procede. My understanding is that he software and maps were identical up until the last two release I believe. Are these latest maps enough of a reason to upgrade to the Rev 2 canbus (Im talking about performance not feature such as code clearing and map switching)?
Tuners will say yes, others will vary.

Personally I think it is worth it to upgrade to something newer. I am in love with the feeling of my v4 but if money is a big concern for you go jb3 (although shiv is running that 795 upgrade plan if you bought another tune including rev 1).

I am the type of person to buy the one that I feel is the best and not worry about wanting something else later so I love my v4
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 03:11 PM   #9
JoeyFiasco
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 Coupe

try to make it to a meet, i'm sure you will run into people with all sorts of tunes and hopefully your same car configuration (or close)
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #10
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Money is not a big issue but these chips are quite expensive I understand we are really paying for the software but damn lol. I believe Shiv is having a meet on the 13th so im going test the tune there if unless someone convinces me otherwise.. Right now the big thing for me is the code clearing, but I also want the performance upgrade otherwise i'd buy the BT tool.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #11
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've had procede since v2 (v2, v3 rev 1, and rev 2) I thouroughly enjoyed the latest v3 stuff up until v4. that being said, the difference is pretty big with v4. you really need to feel it first hand, but there are many v4 revews that might give you a hint of how nice it is.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #12
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Money is not a big issue but these chips are quite expensive I understand we are really paying for the software but damn lol. I believe Shiv is having a meet on the 13th so im going test the tune there if unless someone convinces me otherwise.. Right now the big thing for me is the code clearing, but I also want the performance upgrade otherwise i'd buy the BT tool.
Looking forward to meeting you. It should be a pretty fun meet in NY!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #13
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
I could always sell you the V2 upgrade if you want for really really cheap

Seriously....the V4 is worth every penny....Try it out on the 13th before you make your decision...Heck Shiv will even install it on your car, if you like it enough just pay the man and your already done with installation!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #14
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Looking forward to meeting you. It should be a pretty fun meet in NY!
Yea it sounds like a good time plus ill get to see everyone's car in person, not to mention the oppurtunity to try the tune before I buy lol, def looking foward to it... btw what is the price if I upgrade on the spot? Not looking for a deal just the price staight up? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
I could always sell you the V2 upgrade if you want for really really cheap

Seriously....the V4 is worth every penny....Try it out on the 13th before you make your decision...Heck Shiv will even install it on your car, if you like it enough just pay the man and your already done with installation!!!
lol... Yeah I think I am going to end up driving away with the tune installed in my car ha.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #15
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

i'd recommend the JB3... i couldn't be happier with mine!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #16
Slidewayz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

As a current software engineer and recovering 'real' engineer (nuclear), I consider the PROcede v4 to be a no-brainer since its technological superiority translates to better, safer power delivery.

Opinions vary, but facts are constants.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 11:20 AM   #17
guidance
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4, 335i

Quote:

My questions;

If customer service and value are of any importance to you then go JB3. I bought a used PNP v1.22 on a Gen 1 board on eBay. I downloaded v1.4 for FREE (saved some $$$ for other stuff like a burner for $30). But wait, V1.4 won't work with a Gen 1 board, not a problem. Terry sends me a capacitor to upgrade the board (FREE, no S&H, no "Did you buy this from me? just cost me an email". One other tidbit, I could have returned the Gen1 board & he would have upgraded the board for, you guessed it, FREE.

So now I'll be upgrading to 2.0 for FREE.
I have no experience w/procede. You need to decide what's important to you.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 02:12 PM   #18
Spoolin335
Justin Herass
Canada
Rep
Drives: X6M / M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 Audi TTRS  [10.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [9.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [9.00]
Im in the same shoes. I might just buy a V4 try it out, compare differences and decide if the upgrade from Rev1 is worth it.

This would be the best way for you to decide. All you lose is shipping $ im assuming if you have to return your V4.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #19
Renus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig@SupremePower View Post

Dude, do you mean u r using V4 right now? A sponsor here recommending something to user will create a sense of bias, am I right?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 03:59 PM   #20
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig@SupremePower View Post
You sell the jb3. I certainly hope you recommend it
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 06:29 PM   #21
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Grey 335i ,Aero Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidance View Post
If customer service and value are of any importance to you then go JB3.
What kind of BS is that??

Where does it come from , that Vishnu has less satisfactory customer service than any other tuner?

All those free updates,features and maps serves as customer service to all the existing clients.

Procede V4 , Catless DPs, Forge FMIC, Injen Intake, VK Oilcooler, Hartge Quads Exhaust, Modded CDV, Synapse BOV Kit, BMW Performance 335i SSK Kit, P3 vent boost gauge

Space Grey 335i -> See more pics HERE
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 06:52 PM   #22
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
here we go again...