E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > ECU connector: any tips/tricks..

02-26-2010, 03:04 AM   #1
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

ECU connector: any tips/tricks..

So today I installed the JB3 2.0... I got everything in just fine (including routing the USB cable into the glovebox), however the small ECU connector (the one on the right) managed to get seated onto the socket without the slider getting slid in. I swear I wasn't pushing down on the connector that hard at all and I was pushing the slider in the whole time; I honestly have no clue how it managed to get seated without the slider being slid in. At any rate, the connector is now extremely hard to "pull off." I literally tried pulling it off for two hours, its on there REALLY well. I ended up just putting the car back together, figuring the connector isn't going anywhere if I can't even pull it off and everything is working perfectly fine. At some point though I need to take everything back apart and get that connector off and put back on properly.

Anyone else ever have this happen to them? If so, what did you end up having to do to get that connector off? Any tips/tricks? Terry is telling me to pull harder and Shiv is thinking like my friend and saying to try prying it off gently with a flathead (admittedly, this makes me nervous as hell).

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 04:15 AM   #2
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

Just pull harder, if you have to, pull the dme out a little from it's slot and that should give you more room to work with.......i know it seems stuck, but trust me, just pull harder and it should slide right out. Nothing is going to break btw.....

GL

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 07:11 AM   #3
NRG
Lieutenant Colonel
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

Loosen the rubber gourmets on the right and left sides to allow more wire room. You can't pull the ECU out at this point since there is room while it's being held by connectors. Remove the big one (left) first, then try pulling hard on the small one. Don't use any screwdrivers on it!

Last edited by NRG; 02-26-2010 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
mwahlert
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

do NOT just pull harder. you know how when you are installing the tune you have to release the slider from the connector before inserting the pnp harness - by pushing those little tabs in? if you look at the connector you will see those tabs but they will be on the first set of holes... you need to push them in to release the connector and it will just slide right out.

i am pointing with red arrow

Last edited by mwahlert; 02-26-2010 at 08:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 11:07 AM   #5
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep

I hear ya, but the slider is so far out already.. those tabs aren't in the first hole (the one you're pointing to in red).. they are actually at the second holes (the one the screwdriver is pointing to in the picture). And no amount of pressing them in and pulling on the slider causes it to budge.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 03:40 PM   #6
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep

We got the connector off and figured out what possibly occurred yesterday. In order to get the connector off we ended up just releasing the tabs (they were actually in the holes all the way to the right, not the ones you pointed to in red) and pulling on the slider really hard, which released the connectors hold on the ECU. The only thing we can come up with explaining what happened is when I put the connector on yesterday I must have pushed it down too far (before pushing in the slider) and it essentially LOCKS it on incredibly tight and rendering the slider just about useless, unless you really pull on it HARD. Either way, we got it reseated properly and everything is now 100%. Thank goodness! Live and learn.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwahlert View Post
do NOT just pull harder. you know how when you are installing the tune you have to release the slider from the connector before inserting the pnp harness - by pushing those little tabs in? if you look at the connector you will see those tabs but they will be on the first set of holes... you need to push them in to release the connector and it will just slide right out.

i am pointing with red arrow

Appreciate 0