E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Turbo Upgrades and their lack of success.....

03-06-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
uhcoug2011
Uhcoug2011
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Turbo Upgrades and their lack of success.....

So after almost four years of the 335i we still seem to be far from satisfied with turbo upgrades for this vehicle.... I'm wandering if any companies are willing to chime in as well.

AMS started a turbo upgrade and in fact has a prototype on their vehicle HOWEVER their 335i is for sale with the prototype turbo upgrade and we have not heard much else....

ASR's turbo upgrade has been out for some months now... apparently most purchasers of the first sets were overseas but I have yet to hear from any locals about this turbo on their vehicle and any other info... data, dynos, etc. etc. and I believe I heard their vehicle was also for sale? Correct me if I am incorrect....

Two companies... not very much luck with something that the E90 community seems to be very interested in.. any thoughts????

We also have Eugen who started the upgrade but then sold the vehicle and RobBeck who seems to be making progress with the project but no time of completion yet...

And I almost forgot, recently JPSimon dove into his turbo upgrade project however initial reports are that it is not a full turbo upgrade.... will we be seeing any progress soon or is it a lost cause?
      03-06-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
Ferre86
Captain
Turkey
Rep
Drives: E93 M3/H2/SL350/Panamera 4/

shops are kinda slacking on these, custom tuning wouldnt be that hard.

| e93 M-DCT ESS VT2-625 | Akra Slip-on | Challenge Race Catless x-pipe | Challenge front lip | Challenge Diffuser | Carbon front grilles | defi gauges control unit | Macht Schnell gauge panel | E93 M3 trunk Spoiler | IND Carbon Fiber Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
D.B.S
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 35i / '13 S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhcoug2011 View Post
And I almost forgot, recently JPSimon dove into his turbo upgrade project however initial reports are that it is not a full turbo upgrade.... will we be seeing any progress soon or is it a lost cause?
Well considering that he only announced this 10-11 days ago, I doubt it is a lost cause. Upgrades and updates on a project as extensive as this aren't going to happen overnight, so we can't just dismiss this and call it a lost cause, we need to be patient and let the man document and inform us of what the outcome will be, whether it takes another 1-2 weeks, or 1 month...

As for other shops/manufacture's out there, maybe they are waiting to see how successful JPsimon's venture will be... Seems like his pet project is a step in the right direction... (atleast we can only hope)

BMW X5 35i: Boopie Exhaust & Intercooler, K&N Drop in Filter, JB3 (3+ psi)
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T: CAI, Catch Can, Custom Exhaust, Headers, 87MM Throttle Body, Diablo Custom 93 OCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Quote:
"initial reports"? you make it sound like there is no info about it. I explained it has a custom compressor and clipped turbine, I never gave the impression otherwise. Why did they go this route for now? to keep costs low.

and in terms of progress.. you need to do some research because just yesterday I posted pics of the turbos off the car and explained that we're waiting on some hardware which should be here Monday. turbos will be on the car this week and then back on the dyno... we don't know what to expect since I am the first car these are going in, but soon we'll see if it's worth it or if things need to change.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 04:08 PM   #5
uhcoug2011
Uhcoug2011
United_States
Rep

I believe you guys misunderstood.....

I said initial reports were that it was not a full turbo upgrade...

When I referred to lost cause I was not referring to your project but rather turbo upgrades for 335i as a whole... I apologize for the misunderstanding and trust me I wish you the best and I am keeping up with your project.
      03-06-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
oddjob2021
ASR Turbos+LSD+Meth= :D
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

ASR's turbo upgrade has been out for some months now... apparently most purchasers of the first sets were overseas but I have yet to hear from any locals about this turbo on their vehicle and any other info... data, dynos, etc. etc. and I believe I heard their vehicle was also for sale? Correct me if I am incorrect....
Okay, here is your correction: Your first statement is true, the kit has been out for months and the first purchasers were overseas, and/or racing teams/groups who don't really end up on busy forums like this. The second batch, which I know of two members here who have a deposit in, is either at 9/10 or all sold, not sure. They have dynos out there but little little data, more from a 'safe then sorry' standpoint. There were dynos posted on this exact site if you took the time and did some snooping. the vehicle is not for sale, more rumors and 'telephone game' forum talk. AMS and ASR have 3 letters and start with A so maybe why that splice rumor happened, but No, the car is not for sale, I spoke to Abid recently (Friday) and he was in the process of 'upgrading to v4' There ya go

2007 335i Coupe
Mods: Check the Garage
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 05:54 PM   #7
GreenPlease
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92

To the OP, the reason there's been so little progress in terms of turbo upgrades is that the TD03s on our cars are so tiny and they haven't really been used on other cars in the past.
      03-06-2010, 06:03 PM   #8
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Ummmmm.......... HPF?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 06:16 PM   #9
uhcoug2011
Uhcoug2011
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob2021 View Post
Okay, here is your correction: Your first statement is true, the kit has been out for months and the first purchasers were overseas, and/or racing teams/groups who don't really end up on busy forums like this. The second batch, which I know of two members here who have a deposit in, is either at 9/10 or all sold, not sure. They have dynos out there but little little data, more from a 'safe then sorry' standpoint. There were dynos posted on this exact site if you took the time and did some snooping. the vehicle is not for sale, more rumors and 'telephone game' forum talk. AMS and ASR have 3 letters and start with A so maybe why that splice rumor happened, but No, the car is not for sale, I spoke to Abid recently (Friday) and he was in the process of 'upgrading to v4' There ya go
Oddjob I appreciate the correction but we've heard that the second batch has basically been sold for six months now.... why has there not been progress on getting these out to the customers? If I recall correctly ever seen this information was released the first batch was basically sold and the second batch was very close to being sold out and that was many months ago....
      03-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #10
inthemiddle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Oddjob I appreciate the correction but we've heard that the second batch has basically been sold for six months now.... why has there not been progress on getting these out to the customers? If I recall correctly ever seen this information was released the first batch was basically sold and the second batch was very close to being sold out and that was many months ago....
I can't remember when they were taking orders for the first batch or when they were shipped... etc... it was late last year.... When I spoke to them on the phone before I placed my order for one of the last of the 2nd batch (which was already in production)... they told me they had originally expected to get them around late feb/early march.. something like that.. but there was a several week delay ... so the last i heard was somewhere around late march or early april...

I assume (maybe i shouldn't.... but as i understand it)...they can't send more batches out at a time really, because they rely on the cores they receive from batch 1 to build batch 2... etc.. my core (which will probably ?? be used for batch 3) ... they just received that from me late last week...

now.. here's the part you are gonna hate.... with my schedule... i probably wont get them in the car till late april... no matter when i receive them

i will report on them though
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #11
uhcoug2011
Uhcoug2011
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemiddle View Post
I can't remember when they were taking orders for the first batch or when they were shipped... etc... it was late last year.... When I spoke to them on the phone before I placed my order for one of the last of the 2nd batch (which was already in production)... they told me they had originally expected to get them around late feb/early march.. something like that.. but there was a several week delay ... so the last i heard was somewhere around late march or early april...

I assume (maybe i shouldn't.... but as i understand it)...they can't send more batches out at a time really, because they rely on the cores they receive from batch 1 to build batch 2... etc.. my core (which will probably ?? be used for batch 3) ... they just received that from me late last week...

now.. here's the part you are gonna hate.... with my schedule... i probably wont get them in the car till late april... no matter when i receive them

i will report on them though

Greatly appreciate the response, please do keep us updated!
      03-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #12
mycoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6spd

I'm gonna have to kind of agree with the OP on this one. I mean, seriously, the car is turbo charged from the factory and tuning options for the 335i have already been accomplished. Which leaves the only real issue for a real turbo upgrade the fuel and intake/exhaust manifolds. Any skilled fabricator could mock up a damn manifold to have flow benched in not that much time. It seems to me as well, that the companies just don't wanna mess with this car that much. Maybe it's the fuel system or the open decked block??? Whatever it is, it is certainly discouraging.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 08:18 PM   #13
GeorgeSmooth
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i AT

We have been playing with turbo upgrades locally since the vehicle came out. M&M on the board and correct me if I am wrong did the first compressor upgrade to a TD04H wheel. The gains where marginal and at best 20wkw gain.
My tuning shop then did a compressor upgrade with a clipped backed exhaust wheel. The gains where not more than 20wkw again even with the clipped exhaust wheel at 1.1bar . It did hold the boost a bit longer though but not worth the risk of running such a large wheel on the thin shaft.
The next step was to change the exhaust wheel which the engineer botched the job by machining the exhaust housing to wheel distance too much and creating turbulance, boost came in only at 4000rpm. I then personally gave up the quest as at the time the progress in software tuning would produce far more power than turbo experimentation. The same configuration was fitted on another car with great results at 14.5 psi. Since then I am not sure what the final outcome was but it was decided that the financial viability of modifying the standard turbo was no good and that the exhaust housing will finally become a obstical no matter what internals you use.
I have since cut N54 specific exhaust manifold flanges and am waiting for a chance to manufacture a single turbo manifold or possibly a twin using TD04's. This will not happen in a hurry as the 335 is my wife's daily driver.
      03-07-2010, 12:06 AM   #14
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
The problem is cost efficiency. Space limitations and design costs. Everyone WANTS a turbo upgrade, but few will actually do more than bark when real money is on the line. HPF takes those few, and skims the top of those with big $$ and justifies their time.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 12:08 AM   #15
GreenPlease
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

If we had TD04s to begin with this would be a whole different ball game. 700+whp cars would be the norm, assuming we could sort out fueling issues and that the transmissions could hold the power.
      03-07-2010, 12:09 AM   #16
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
I've got a picture of a big single turbo exhaust manifold for our cars. I doubt I'm allowed to show it but making it work was apparently unrealistic due to the relocation and removing of so many things.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 06:22 AM   #17
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
So after almost four years of the 335i we still seem to be far from satisfied with turbo upgrades for this vehicle.... I'm wandering if any companies are willing to chime in as well.

[...]

Two companies... not very much luck with something that the E90 community seems to be very interested in.. any thoughts????

We also have Eugen who started the upgrade but then sold the vehicle and RobBeck who seems to be making progress with the project but no time of completion yet...

I think, without meaning any offense, that you're a bit misrepresenting things here. It's certainly true that there has been little progress with any turbo upgrades during the past year, in spite of a number of announcements.

However, things are starting to move and there are several serious upgrades in the pipeline that will produce results and will be up for sale within a very short timeframe:

1) ASR: Similar to the one done by Racing Dynamics; several forum members seem to have made a deposit on that upgrade but have not yet got them delivered and installed. It's safe to assume that when that happens we will read extensive reviews on those. Drawback of this solution though (apparently): It doesn't use the stock oil cooling lines, possible long-term reliability issues are therefore likely. Costs: Apparently around 5000$.

2) JPSimon / TiAl - EPL: This one is currently being installed, much more info on real world performance should be available within short. More info here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355162

3) RobBeck upgrade: Has been going on for quite some time and is almost finished - only the final touches on the wastegate upgrade are being finalised. Most of the info can be found under the following thread: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5029

4) Turbo Dynamics: They're located in the UK, which might be why some here seem to systematically forget them. Their stage 1 upgrade has been up and running for several months, a stage 2 upgrade is currently also being tested; I have myself sent a set of turbos over to them that will serve as prototypes, and two other members of this forum have done so as well. Lots of information is already available (for the stage 1), and I would assume that both stages will be up for sale at the latest in April or May. Read more under the following threads:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318755
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318749
Costs: Stage 1 upgrade around 1100 USD, with wastegate upgrade around 1400 USD; stage 2 pricing yet to be determined.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      03-07-2010, 07:53 AM   #18
GreenPlease
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

@Alpina_B3_Lux

What does the stage 2 upgrade consist of? Ported housing? Sorry, too lazy to read the thread, plus I'm sure someone else will ask anyways
      03-07-2010, 12:15 PM   #19
mycoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipseracer View Post
The problem is cost efficiency. Space limitations and design costs. Everyone WANTS a turbo upgrade, but few will actually do more than bark when real money is on the line. HPF takes those few, and skims the top of those with big $$ and justifies their time.
Few will do more than bark because turbo upgrades for Bimmers are nearly 5 times what they are for other cars!!! Why? Because companies will always charge as much as they think they can to do as little as they can. If a company would just eat a little cost for a few months to a year to put out a legit product at a reasonable price, they would more than make up for their R&D by the increased number of customers!

Who knows, maybe it's my inner socialist speaking, but if "things" are priced so that more people can buy them, more people will, and the company's gross will go up.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 01:22 PM   #20
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

I like the approach HPF is taking, and feel good about their chances of successfully making a single turbo upgrade that produces BIG power..and according to Chris it will be "cheaper" than the E46 kits, so we'll see in about a years time

2008 E90 335
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #21
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
I know a lot of shops aren't bothering with turbo kits due to lack of custom tuning solutions. Sure you can buy a jb or vishnu tune but you can't easily manually adjust afr/timing tables nor can you easily extract/flash the oem maps to make the adjustments.

Once there is a viable solution for custom tuning the door will be open to a lot of manufactures that specialize in creating turbos.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #22
bucktown
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

maybe theres a lack of progress with the turbo upgrades because most of the 335 on the road are still under warranty.

with a target demographic of people who are a) 335 owners, b) 335 tuners, c) unsatisfied with the performance of bolt on/ecu upgrades d) already scared of the bmw repercussions and voided warranties e) willing to overlook their warranties doesnt make for a very large market group. after the cars are out of warranty, more turbo upgrades will come down the pipe, just like most of the factory tubo cars before.
Appreciate 0