E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > My first problem - system failure

03-13-2010, 02:25 AM   #1
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

My first problem - system failure

Hi All,

Well, the first issue is now with me after 3 months of fun!

Was driving to a mates yesterday and suddenly the music stopped, which was being played from the armrest USB. Then a message came up on the screen saying System Failure - SOS calls not available (or something like that).

Anyway, then I was an idiot because I thought that if I turned the car off, the system might reset so at some traffic lights at a big junction I decided to do it. Problem was, it then wouldn't start again!

Not great! So the hazzards went on and the phone came out to call BMW assist....But then I realised the car was still in D and that's why it wasn't starting. That was a big relief because I was stating to cause a bit of congestion!! ha ha

Anyway, I still have an issue that needs sorting. I've read that this can be connected to bluetooth, and actually, recently my phone was no longer working with the car.

I'm going to book the car in today but I was just wondering if there is any kind of reset that I can do myself to see if I can fix the issue?

Cheers peeps!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 02:40 AM   #2
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

You can reset idrive by restarting the car while holding down the 'forward' ' backward' and volume buttons.

When mine broke, this allowed me to eject the nav DVD. Once the disc was out the system booted up, so I at least had radio.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 02:54 AM   #3
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks mate.

I still have radio, so if you think this won't actually fix the problem I might not bother... will I loose all my satnav addresses etc?

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 03:29 AM   #4
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanziBarn View Post
Thanks mate.

I still have radio, so if you think this won't actually fix the problem I might not bother... will I loose all my satnav addresses etc?
If you have radio your idrive is presumably working now. Try switching bluetooth off then back on, then re-sync your phone.

If it is just the SOS failure message it may not re-occur.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

The phone isn't actually synced at all. Since the bluetooth connection stopped working with my phone a few weeks ago I just deletd the connection from the Idrive.

Is that what you mean by turning bluetooth off?

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #6
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Your Bluetooth does not work either?
      03-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #7
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanziBarn View Post
The phone isn't actually synced at all. Since the bluetooth connection stopped working with my phone a few weeks ago I just deletd the connection from the Idrive.

Is that what you mean by turning bluetooth off?
You can turn it off by going to:

telephone - options - bluetooth.

I've had the SOS message and failure to sync with my phone a couple of times. In my case, I just switched bluetooth off, then back on again, re-connected the phone and it all went away.

I've also had various other 'odd' messages over the years:

"Remote control not inserted"
"Steering lock"

Each time they go away when the car has gone into sleep mode and been restarted.

I think it's just like a crash on a PC. Re-start and it's often OK. Had the same thing on my blackberry the other day
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 02:58 PM   #8
Jules6
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Garage List
If you have too many text messages on your phone then the bluetooth cannot connect. It will keep trying but will keep failing.
Appears to be a common problem that not even BMW are fully aware of, I only found it after going to a mobile phone help forum when my M3 had this problem. Cleared the texts and all was fine again.
Sounds as if this might not solve your problem but worth a try.

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 04:10 AM   #9
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Good stuff, guys!

The text messages thing could be the answer to why the phone isn't connecting, I've got hundreds, and obviously had less 3 months ago when I got the car and when the connection worked.

But, the phone hasn't been connected for ages so not sure if this will fix the SOS problem (I assume SOS calls don't need a connected phone?) but It's worth a go. Also, I'll try turning the Bluetooth off which I didn't know you could do.

I not sure why this would affect 6FL but I guess computers are complicated things!

One other thing, I was shocked that my local dealer couldn't see the car until the Tues after Easter, all my previous cars have had dealers that could normally take the car the following week, or even the same week. Is this normal?

I phoned another dealer further away and they didn't have any courtesy cars available for ages so that was ruled out.

Last edited by BanziBarn; 03-14-2010 at 06:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 03:53 AM   #10
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Unfortunately I still can't get it to work - so dealer it is (when they can eventually see me).

The Bluetooth was already turned off, and won't go on now either.

In the mean time I thought I would use the internal HDD to put my music on.

So, I stuck the USB from the arm rest into the glove box.

All was good initially apart from the fact that you can't choose which albums to import, and that it seems very slow.

There seems to be 12BG of space available (I thought it was going to be less) but problems started when it got to about 8GB remaining.

Now, when I start importing it works fine for a while, then the music stops and so does does the import. I then can't play music from the HDD unless I turn the car off for a while, or do a reset by pressing the volume knob for 30 seconds.

I was trying to think of what the problem could be.

1. Maybe it's becuase the car is playing music from the HDD at the same time as importing from the stick - how do I stop play back? There doesn't seem to be a stop button.

2. I was exiting the the import screen during the process and going to the "available space" screen so I could actually see the memoery going down so I could be sure stuff was actually copying - I did this becuase the progress screen was very slow to move due to the amount of data being copied - However, perhaps I should just stay in the progress screen?

3. Maybe the system can't cope with importing from such a large stick (32GB)?

4. Maybe this is all part of the other problem with the SOS, Bluetooth and broken 6FL?

When things don't work it makes me not like the car so much, so in order to combat this a bit I gave it a propper wash yesterday and it's now looking

Loving the Endurance Tyre Shine!

Appreciate 0