E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Catless DP's and resonators

03-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
cincy335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saph 335i coupe 6mt

Catless DP's and resonators

I am thinking about installing some thermal coated catless DP's, I wanted to go with catted, but everyone talked me out of it!!

Anyways I want to make sure in going this route, that the catless DP's won't increase the drone or make the car annoyingly loud for a daily driver, keep in mind I still want to maintain that it is a BMW. How about the fumes, smells, etc.?

If I go this route I was told to eliminate my 2nd set of cats and if I wanted to "tame" the sound down go with some good stainless resonators in place of these cats? Any ideas, suggestions or thoughts? Again I want to keep the drive somewhat civil and reserved from a sound and smell standpoint, while reducing the back presssure, taking pressure and heat away from the turbo's and ultimately increase the cars performance. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Performance |PROcede V5|Stett CAI|UUC/Corsa Exhaust|AA Intercooler|RPI Scoops|Stett Charge Pipe w/Forge DV's|UUC Evo3 SSK/DSSR|Mod CDV Style |Aero Lip|Aero rear|Aero Spoiler|M-Tech Side Skirts|Black Calipers|Black Grille|Black Shadow emblem|Black Vinyl Wrapped Window Trim|35%Tint|Tinted Tails|Style 230 19"rims|Lux H8'sTech |Nav|Cold Weather|Premium|Comfort Access|Sport|
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

If you go fully catless you will probably get some fumes while sitting still, not very noticable while driving. Also, you are going to get a deeper exhaust tone (which some might call drone) at low RPM's. I'm sure resonators will tone it down some but it will be louder than stock. Look into the PE exhaust if you want something more aggressive than stock but still somewhat tame (ie Wife approved)
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
UAP1
www.UltimateAutoPortal.co m
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i. Few mods.

Greats question.

Funny, I had the same thought today. I have the HKS catted set up now.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

resonators are your friend!! It worked for me! Check out my vibrant resonator thread...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336138
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 06:28 PM   #5
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

If you go catless, the car will be noticeably louder and you may get a gas smell at a stop light or when the car is idling. It's the small price you pay for more power
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
cincy335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks so much for all of the input! I saw the Vibrant resonators and think that is the way to go!!! Maybe the Rennart mid section with resonators and hell maybe even through on the Vibrant resonators for even more quiet!

So I guess I can live with a little smell for the extra oomph!! I think this is the way to go...stage 3, here I come!

BTW cn555ic...great post and write up about the resonators, THANK YOU!

Thanks again everyone, I will be going this route.

Cheers
Performance |PROcede V5|Stett CAI|UUC/Corsa Exhaust|AA Intercooler|RPI Scoops|Stett Charge Pipe w/Forge DV's|UUC Evo3 SSK/DSSR|Mod CDV Style |Aero Lip|Aero rear|Aero Spoiler|M-Tech Side Skirts|Black Calipers|Black Grille|Black Shadow emblem|Black Vinyl Wrapped Window Trim|35%Tint|Tinted Tails|Style 230 19"rims|Lux H8'sTech |Nav|Cold Weather|Premium|Comfort Access|Sport|
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 08:07 PM   #7
cincy335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
If you go fully catless you will probably get some fumes while sitting still, not very noticable while driving. Also, you are going to get a deeper exhaust tone (which some might call drone) at low RPM's. I'm sure resonators will tone it down some but it will be louder than stock. Look into the PE exhaust if you want something more aggressive than stock but still somewhat tame (ie Wife approved)
Thanks...love it "wife approved"!!! LOL, trust me she never approves of anything with the car, especially something that costs $$ and makes it go faster!!!

UAP1...looks like we have some answers. Seems like the way to go.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 08:20 PM   #8
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

If your exhaust has resonators add some extra vibrant resonators to he exhaust and it will definitely without a doubt be wife approved. Mine is wife approved!!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 08:25 PM   #9
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I love my AE + AR combo, but I got the stink eye after I installed them. Oh well, guess she's stuck with her Merc and no more borrowing mine because its "more fun" Told her if I wanted a silent car, I would have bought a Prius, and that would have caused me to lose my manhood.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 08:31 PM   #10
UAP1
www.UltimateAutoPortal.co m
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i. Few mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy335i View Post
Thanks so much for all of the input! I saw the Vibrant resonators and think that is the way to go!!! Maybe the Rennart mid section with resonators and hell maybe even through on the Vibrant resonators for even more quiet!

So I guess I can live with a little smell for the extra oomph!! I think this is the way to go...stage 3, here I come!

BTW cn555ic...great post and write up about the resonators, THANK YOU!

Thanks again everyone, I will be going this route.

Cheers

Thanks for making the thread Cincy!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 08:39 PM   #11
Irishace
ElevenPointFive
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335

I too had the same questions. I have the BMW Performance Exhaust and was thinking of going with catless dps but desperately want to avoid gassy smell and more noise. By combining a catback exhaust with catless dps will this be enough to eliminate the gassiness? My wife is pregnant and I do not want her to hurl everytime she is in my car due to gas smell.
      03-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #12
cincy335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
I love my AE + AR combo, but I got the stink eye after I installed them. Oh well, guess she's stuck with her Merc and no more borrowing mine because its "more fun" Told her if I wanted a silent car, I would have bought a Prius, and that would have caused me to lose my manhood.
+1000
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 09:40 PM   #13
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishace View Post
I too had the same questions. I have the BMW Performance Exhaust and was thinking of going with catless dps but desperately want to avoid gassy smell and more noise. By combining a catback exhaust with catless dps will this be enough to eliminate the gassiness? My wife is pregnant and I do not want her to hurl everytime she is in my car due to gas smell.
BMW Performance exhaust is not a catback! So if you add some catless dps you should be good to go with the smell....It will smell for a little bit in the beginning, then it should be good after a week or so!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 12:04 AM   #14
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
catless...you barely smell anything unless you started your car in the garage and had your windows open before you pulled out...or when you park your car and walk around the back.

while moving...nothing, while sitting in traffic...nothing...dont know about the people behind you tho

unless your on it, or on a cold start...the sound is very tame (cold start is shocking loud)