E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Downpipes and Dinan and XI

03-17-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
F3thirty5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335 XI Coupe

Downpipes and Dinan and XI

I have an XI and was thinking about going with a set of Downpipes. I just got the AE Performance downpipe back exhaust system (didn't put it on yet).
Looks like AR makes a nice set of dp's but they are CATLESS. I am not too happy with the UR Catted option for the XI because I live in NY and don't want any rust issues.

I have the Dinan S2 tune. Is anyone running Catless downpipes and the Dinan S2 tune? Are the new versions of the 02 Sims working with the Dinan tune? Will I still throw codes or have any driveability, or computer issues? (Its a daily driver)

Before everyone says Procede or JB3, I am not interested in that route (at least not right now).

Any feedback would be appreciated!

THANKS!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

I assume you're going the Dinan route for the warranty (I am too).

If so, be aware that running any other engine-related modifications from stock together with the Dinan software will invalidate the Dinan warranty.

Jack
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 06:10 PM   #3
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Yes, you just shat out a bunch of money. The Dinan warranty is the same as BMW, use any parts that aren't theirs and they void your warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
Yes, you just shat out a bunch of money. The Dinan warranty is the same as BMW, use any parts that aren't theirs and they void your warranty.
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 07:06 PM   #5
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Does this mean I can say JB3 now?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 07:17 PM   #6
socalsun
poor
Rep
Drives: Girl's XC90

I'm running the Dinan tune with AR catless and BMS sim, haven't had any issues, my sim is an older version, its been in and out and works like a charm. AR catless are the way to go, they fit the best.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
F3thirty5
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah, got the Dinan tune within 6 months of buying the car. Its been trouble free and the performance has been great. No issues.

My take on the warranty is that I am thinking about downpipes and the remaining exhaust. If somehow the tune was responsible for a failure (outside of the exhaust), I don't think this voids anything. If I had an exhaust problem, or if I throw codes related to the removal of the cats, I wouldn't be taking it to the dealer or going to DINAN for a warranty fix anyway?

My question is more related to adding the catless downpipes and being able to put in a fix for the 02 sensors, coupled with the Dinan tune. From what I understand the JB3 and the Procede already built for it.

I don't want to go for another tune since I paid the $$$$$ already. Was hoping to get more out of the tune with a free flow exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 08:30 PM   #8
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramp View Post
I have an XI and was thinking about going with a set of Downpipes. I just got the AE Performance downpipe back exhaust system (didn't put it on yet).
Looks like AR makes a nice set of dp's but they are CATLESS.

AR makes both catted and catless, I'm running a set of AR catted now (along with AE catless) Sounds and performs great. And you know you want a JB3.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 08:40 PM   #9
F3thirty5
Private First Class
Rep

Got the XI

AR doesn't make Catted for the XI, only Catless.

Yeah, saying Dinan around here gets people all jacked up!

Truth is I don't know if I want JB3 or Procede. I got Dinan so I want to work with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 10:28 PM   #10
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Its pretty certain that if you were go back to Dinan with a problem they'd tell you to shove it. The dealer is another story. Some have had no problems when it comes to DPs while others have had dealers who didn't want to work on their car.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 11:06 PM   #11
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Sorry for bringing this post back from the dead... just wondering if the OP ever got those DP's...

I have Dinan Stage II, but my question is... will adding DP's get you any more power? The Dinan Stg II software isn't written to take advantage of DP's, so you wouldn't really be taking full advantage of the DP's, right?

And yes, I know PROcede and JB have maps to utilize DP's, but I am really happy with my Dinan and would like to continue working with it, as did the OP. Thanks!

COBB ProTuned | AMS | CP-e | BMS | Quaife
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 06:28 AM   #12
mycoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6spd

If you have any remaining warranty left on your dinan stuff it would be silly to risk that considering it's really the ONLY reason to pay the ridiculous pricetag associated with dinan parts. Modifying the exhaust will modify the response and therefor performance of the turbos. That is a very clear and obvious effect that dinan or bmwna could blame ANY potential engine or turbo related problem you may have down the road on. Just be careful and think about what you have, why you bought it, and then go get a procede. hahaha
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #13
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycoupe View Post
If you have any remaining warranty left on your dinan stuff it would be silly to risk that considering it's really the ONLY reason to pay the ridiculous pricetag associated with dinan parts. Modifying the exhaust will modify the response and therefor performance of the turbos. That is a very clear and obvious effect that dinan or bmwna could blame ANY potential engine or turbo related problem you may have down the road on. Just be careful and think about what you have, why you bought it, and then go get a procede. hahaha

Haha obviously... I bought the dinan for the warranty which has paid off dividends for me as I'm on my 3rd set of turbo's... But anyways, my initial question remains... Would down pipes on a dinan stage 2 do anything?

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 01:20 PM   #14
Yankees 2010
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

I started a thread about this and if ur interested please send an email to dinan

Not sure about you guys but I wouldn't mind paying through the nose for downpipes that would be covered by warranty. Times are rough and dealers are becoming less forgiving about certain mods. This is the email I got back from Dinan.

Please email info@dinancars.com or go to their webpage and submit a request for those who are interested. http://www.dinancars.com/contact.aspx
__________________________________________________ _______________
Hi Marcus,

Honestly, you are one of only a very small number of people who have asked about downpipes. I am not saying there is not demand for them, only that we have not heard from these customers and we get a lot of emails everyday. If you know of other customers who would like downpipes please have them contact us to show their support for the product and if there are enough of them we will build it.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks!

Brian
__________________________________________________ _______________

For those who are lazy here is a pre-written email you can send.

Subject - 335i e92 Downpipes

When are you guys coming out with downpipes for this car? This is one of the biggest item talked about amongst the community! At a reasonable price I would be all for it. Please keep me updated on this. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #15
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
So I know there are a handful of Dinan software customers who have had cattless DP's placed on their cars... There are a couple threads on this, but it's full of posts saying "You paid out the @$$ for Dinan, why void the warranty?" HAHA... understandably... but now my warranty is out anyways, and I'm looking to get DP's for now, and likely transition to Cobb Stage 2 once it gets finalized.

Any issues with DP's and Dinan Software?
Any significant gains? -- I saw another post somewhere that showed some pretty significant gains with addition of Cattless DP's and DCI's... just wondering if anyone else had this experience...

Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 05:38 PM   #16
Bmwguy11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB M3

I would imagine you would still see a gain. Breathing better is breathing better in my book. And even if you don't gain anything, you are helping your turbos out with less backpressure, which I think even in and of itself can provide some gains or response via quicker spool, etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 09:00 PM   #17
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skim7x View Post
So I know there are a handful of Dinan software customers who have had cattless DP's placed on their cars... There are a couple threads on this, but it's full of posts saying "You paid out the @$$ for Dinan, why void the warranty?" HAHA... understandably... but now my warranty is out anyways, and I'm looking to get DP's for now, and likely transition to Cobb Stage 2 once it gets finalized.

Any issues with DP's and Dinan Software?
Any significant gains? -- I saw another post somewhere that showed some pretty significant gains with addition of Cattless DP's and DCI's... just wondering if anyone else had this experience...

Thanks!
I'm in the same boat - switching to Cobb soon. I installed the BMS DP FIX last week and my AR DPs are going in this weekend I've asked around and I understand there are no ill effects of catless DPs on the Dinan tune. Even a stock car will benefit from it to an extent.

Do you know if the dealer charges labour to flash the DME back to stock?

It's funny, the Dinan tune was supposed to be my only mod. Here I am now, getting all the bolt ons and switching tunes. I don't know if I will ever forgive myself for blowing $2k on a tune lol. It makes me feel a little better Cobb wasn't available back then.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 10:20 PM   #18
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
I'm in the same boat - switching to Cobb soon. I installed the BMS DP FIX last week and my AR DPs are going in this weekend I've asked around and I understand there are no ill effects of catless DPs on the Dinan tune. Even a stock car will benefit from it to an extent.

It's funny, the Dinan tune was supposed to be my only mod. Here I am now, getting all the bolt ons and switching tunes. I don't know if I will ever forgive myself for blowing $2k on a tune lol. It makes me feel a little better Cobb wasn't available back then.
Nice... I think I'm going to settle on some Macht Schnell DP's in the near future...

The dealer does charge labor to flash back to stock, unless there is some reason... do you have wastegate rattle? That's a good reason to get reflashed =P

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 10:48 PM   #19
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skim7x View Post
Nice... I think I'm going to settle on some Macht Schnell DP's in the near future...

The dealer does charge labor to flash back to stock, unless there is some reason... do you have wastegate rattle? That's a good reason to get reflashed =P
No wastegate rattle...guess i'm one of the "lucky" ones
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #20
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I cant imagine what they would charge for it lol...and I cant imagine it being better than what's on the market already. ie AR Design or Macht Schnell
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 11:11 AM   #21
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

Quote:

Dinan -> JB -> Procede -> Cobb. Be glad you haven't spent as much as me lol
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #22
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335coupe2007 View Post
if dinan would come out with downpipes for this car i would do it just for the warranty sake. I have the dinan stage 2 and afe dci... and thats it. I will email to see if its in the works. I dont see why they wont do it. I think alot of people would do it since it clearly helps the car/turbos with being more efficient.
This has been discussed already -- they won't do it because there isn't enough interest in DP's (per Dinan).

Quote:
I cant imagine what they would charge for it lol...and I cant imagine it being better than what's on the market already. ie AR Design or Macht Schnell
Arm + Leg... I'd stick with AR or MS

Appreciate 0