E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > New to site (Modding a 2008XI)

03-29-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

New to site (Modding a 2008XI)

Morning to all, I am in the process of purchasing a used 08 335XI. I am coming from an 08 TL which doesn't have the kind of aftermarket that BMW has. And I must admit that I am overwhelmed by the amount of info on these boards in regard to car modifications.

I enjoy keeping my cars fairly stock looking but enjoy increasing performance/handling. What I've absorbed so far is the following:

1.) Is the JB3 the way you want to go for a computer upgrade?

2.) Not sure what coil over kit I want but I don't want to spend more than $1,500 and it has to be XI compatible.

3.) I don't want to make my car not pass inspection and even with catted down pipes it will still most likely fail.

4.) Do I want an upgraded FMIC, I don't plan on tracking the car but I do a lot of highway traveling and many 4 hour trips?

Yes, I've searched but there is a plethora of information and so many mixed reviews that it's impossible to make a confident decision. So the question I ask is, I want to spend $5,000 initially on mods. What would you choose? Id like the mods to be $4,000 performance and $1,000 cosmetic give or take.

Please help, my Acura in no way had this much of an aftermarket and I'm a little baffled as to where to start.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
Donald-335i
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Hoes Crazy!

JB3 2.0
BMS DCI
ARDesign Catless Dp's fitment for the xi is gonna be hard. the I/XI is little different in terms on DP Design
Helix FMIC
Forged DV's
Evolutionracewerks charge pipe

and a used set of XI Coilovers

got a car that will trap 116+ and go to the store in a snow storm!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Definitely do a search when it comes to computer upgrades. And also take a look in the classified once u make up your mind

9 out of 10 people here will simply reccomend the tune they have without much consideration to your particular needs/requirements. Figure out what you want and what you can sacrifice. Then establish a budget on what you want to spend on the tune. This way you won't find yourself making the wrong decision and selling it a few months later for 1/2 the price you bought it for.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

take it from a fellow XI guy

PROcede V4
AR catless downpipes (I would have gotten AR had they been available at the time)
AE Exhaust
AMS or Helix FMIC
Forge DV's
KW V3 coilovers (these were the only XI specific coilovers available when I got them, there might be xi V1's available now too.. not sure)
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 12:34 PM   #5
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
I second what JP says. Do the following as I have a 2008 335xi as well.

Procede v4
KW V1's (These are available and what I have installed from **********s.com)
AR DPs (I don't have these but they are the way to go)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
take it from a fellow XI guy

PROcede V4
AR catless downpipes (I would have gotten AR had they been available at the time)
AE Exhaust
AMS or Helix FMIC
Forge DV's
KW V3 coilovers (these were the only XI specific coilovers available when I got them, there might be xi V1's available now too.. not sure)
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 12:57 PM   #6
IL X5 M60i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2025 X5 M60i

Take it from another XI guy, JB3 2.0!

Just like Shiv says, everyone on here is going to tell you their tune is the best because they keep running it for a reason. They like it.

Try and check out the local section and take a ride in a car with both the Procede and JB3 and decide for yourself.

Welcome!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 01:13 PM   #7
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town 335xi View Post
Take it from another XI guy, JB3 2.0!

Just like Shiv says, everyone on here is going to tell you their tune is the best because they keep running it for a reason. They like it.
or, more often, because that is all they have tried.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
specialsauce
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Oh no this again? Here is what I've learned.

1) Consider the GIAC flash as well it has good reviews.
2) Don't get the Active tune.
3) Shiv and Mike don't like each other, and PROcede customers and JB3 customers argue a lot of which is best. The arguments start in threads like this one.
4) The PROcede V2 is less popular so its harder to find a used one while you can get a great deal on a used JB3 if you want to go that route. Some tunes like Active and PROcede V1 have no resale value because they are obsolete now so don't buy one at any price.
5) You will probably be equally happy with GIAC, JB3, or V4.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
MRatedZ
John
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster

I like this XI mod discussion... I' have a 2008 XI as well am about to pull the trigger on a tune... love the different points of view everyone has... very interesting. Makes me want to take Chi-Town's advice and see who is in Upstate NY to give me a ride in their tuned XI!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 01:22 PM   #10
TwinTurboXI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

KW's are the coil overs to go with, I have not changed my crappy xi suspension yet...

Unless you are power crazy, skip the DP's and invest in a nice exhaust, the car will sound great.

I have yet to upgrade to a FMIC. I routinely take long trips, 6+ hours and my car has never come close to over heating.

As others have said, The tune is all personal preference. They all have their positives and negatives. I am also from Pittsburgh with an XI! PM me and maybe we can meet up for a spin.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 01:35 PM   #11
JoeyFiasco
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 Coupe

what's your definition of computer upgrade? do you mean software update to the ECU, or maps/firmware/features for the piggyback?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 03:58 PM   #12
IL X5 M60i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2025 X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium335 View Post
I like this XI mod discussion... I' have a 2008 XI as well am about to pull the trigger on a tune... love the different points of view everyone has... very interesting. Makes me want to take Chi-Town's advice and see who is in Upstate NY to give me a ride in their tuned XI!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 04:02 PM   #13
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the responses. When I meant computer upgrades I meant the piggy back that everyone is talking about.

After all the reviews it seems the Procede and JB3 are the top two choices. As for preference, I want the one that will give me the best power when I want it but not harm the integrity of the vehicle. In addition, Id like the option to get better gas mileage if I'm making a long trip.

Is that unreasonable to ask for what I mentioned above?

I don't plan on squeezing all the hp out of the car by upgrading turbos or any of the more technical things. I just want the way to gain the easiest horsepower while keeping the car as reliable as possible.

So its a definite I want piggy back.

Down pipes just seem like they compromise the vehicle to much for the hassle. (throwing codes, not passing inspection since we have tough inspection laws.)

Suspension- I can't see spending $2,300 on the KW3, I would stretch it to $1,800 but I doubt anyone has it priced that low.
Now what about sways, coming from a fwd vehicle, sways were an amazing upgrade. But when I read these sites, most sway reviews are for the 335i which has a different front/back weight ratio. So the sway thickness might vary from the i to the xi and I'm not sure if these are a must upgrade for the 335?

I know there are many threads but not many XI dedicated and the reviews vary so greatly from one to another. Like with the squeaky kws or the rusting hrs.

TwinTurboXI, I haven't got the car yet, but Im in the process of getting it in the next few weeks. Im in the SouthHills area though.

By the way, I just noticed what Donald said, what is a charge pipe?

Last edited by pits200; 03-29-2010 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 11:48 PM   #14
stratplaya06
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi-SOLD 5.0 Miata

I have a well modded xi, and I believe am the only one on the forum with the m3 rear suspension on my xi.

I have only the rear sway, as I didn't want to induce any more understeer into the equation, and have found that this car is now very balanced. My suspension upgrades are as followed:
-m3: tension struts, guide rods, subframe bushings, rear sway
-KWv3's
-Riding on 19" m6 reps with 235/275 ps2's.

To be honest the best difference was after the kw's were installed. I believe that on this car coilovers are MUCH more important than sway bars. I got the rear suspension due to the subframe needing to come out anyway, so I saveed a ton on labor. What's nice about the rear of the car now is how it really stays on track better. I would get this strange wallowing in the rear end when approaching the limits of the car in turns, that was downright scary. The m3 parts (I am assuming mostly the subframe bushings) have really made the rear stay on track a lot better, and have actually made up for the less than ideal progressive springs that come with the v3's.

Even with that said, the kw v3's and ps2's made for a very nice combo, and only because I had to drop the subframe did I do the other parts. PM some of the vendors on this site because I think they can get the pricing for the v3's really low.

Also worth noting is the fact that I have had NO PROBLEMS with my v3's. They were a little stiff on the factory rft's, but now with the ps2 non rft's the ride is awesome. Get a tune and some coilovers along with some non rft's and you will have one badass xi, that still is fairly sensible as far as the dealer goes.

| PROcede Rev3 | Vishnu Meth | DCI | BMW Perf. Exhaust | AR Coated/Catless | CP-E FMIC | Quaife |
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 07:41 AM   #15
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratplaya06 View Post
I have a well modded xi, and I believe am the only one on the forum with the m3 rear suspension on my xi.

I have only the rear sway, as I didn't want to induce any more understeer into the equation, and have found that this car is now very balanced. My suspension upgrades are as followed:
-m3: tension struts, guide rods, subframe bushings, rear sway
-KWv3's
-Riding on 19" m6 reps with 235/275 ps2's.

To be honest the best difference was after the kw's were installed. I believe that on this car coilovers are MUCH more important than sway bars. I got the rear suspension due to the subframe needing to come out anyway, so I saveed a ton on labor. What's nice about the rear of the car now is how it really stays on track better. I would get this strange wallowing in the rear end when approaching the limits of the car in turns, that was downright scary. The m3 parts (I am assuming mostly the subframe bushings) have really made the rear stay on track a lot better, and have actually made up for the less than ideal progressive springs that come with the v3's.

Even with that said, the kw v3's and ps2's made for a very nice combo, and only because I had to drop the subframe did I do the other parts. PM some of the vendors on this site because I think they can get the pricing for the v3's really low.

Also worth noting is the fact that I have had NO PROBLEMS with my v3's. They were a little stiff on the factory rft's, but now with the ps2 non rft's the ride is awesome. Get a tune and some coilovers along with some non rft's and you will have one badass xi, that still is fairly sensible as far as the dealer goes.
Wow, awesome post thanks!

I enjoy doing most of the work myself when it comes to cars unless it is tearing apart the engine because I want most things to be no longer than a one day job.

From what I read for the XI, you need to drop the subframe to put on a sway, is this correct? Also, is there a DIY procedure for dropping the sub?

As for the KW3, even though the springs aren't progressive, aren't the struts adjustable which can kind of make up for some of that? Does anyone know the spring rates for the KW3?

I was looking at ********** and saw the HKS charge pipe and titek blowoff valve. I don't want my car having the loudest blowoff valve, but is there an advantage to an upgraded blowoff valve when running max boost on this car or is the charge pipe all that is needed?

Thanks for all the help so far
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 07:51 AM   #16
Wonka
Racer 5
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335i xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
Suspension- I can't see spending $2,300 on the KW3, I would stretch it to $1,800 but I doubt anyone has it priced that low.
I'd check with the site sponsors. **********s did well for me on the V3. The price wasn't near 2300.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 08:42 AM   #17
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Wonka, your car looks ridiculous, I like those rims a lot, you mind sharing what kind they are. Also, do you have any additional exterior modifications. Ha, I know some people like being secretive about their mods but I just really like the way your car looks!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 01:01 PM   #18
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonka View Post
I'd check with the site sponsors. **********s did well for me on the V3. The price wasn't near 2300.
Glad you are enjoying the KW Coils! Shoot me a PM guys I'll hook up all you E90posters
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 01:39 PM   #19
stratplaya06
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi-SOLD 5.0 Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
Wow, awesome post thanks!

I enjoy doing most of the work myself when it comes to cars unless it is tearing apart the engine because I want most things to be no longer than a one day job.

From what I read for the XI, you need to drop the subframe to put on a sway, is this correct? Also, is there a DIY procedure for dropping the sub?

As for the KW3, even though the springs aren't progressive, aren't the struts adjustable which can kind of make up for some of that? Does anyone know the spring rates for the KW3?

I was looking at ********** and saw the HKS charge pipe and titek blowoff valve. I don't want my car having the loudest blowoff valve, but is there an advantage to an upgraded blowoff valve when running max boost on this car or is the charge pipe all that is needed?

Thanks for all the help so far
To be honest, and from what I have heard on the xi, this is probably a job more suited to a shop install. I may be wrong, but I definitely know I was unable to do it myself with just a floor jack and jackstands available.

Yes, to do the rear sway, either you must completely drop the subframe, or at least loosen it enough to slide the sway out, neither of which are particularly easy. I haven't seen any DIY's for dropping the subframe, but I do know that when I stopped by the shop doing my install I could not believe how much was removed. Behind the transfer case, all that remained was my diff and driveshaft. Everything else was out, and I mean EVERYTHING. The car was bare. It was nothing short of ridiculous.

The V3's DO have progressive springs. This isn't the greatest of setups. Orb has posted some results on the actual weight to the springs, and they are not balanced right for this car, but to be honest I still found the handling quite good, and the ride acceptable for day-to-day. With the rear suspension how it is on my car, the feel is better, but I think the best upgrade would be getting a set of v3's from HPAutowerks with their swift springs already installed. If I could do it all over again I would definitely do it this way.

| PROcede Rev3 | Vishnu Meth | DCI | BMW Perf. Exhaust | AR Coated/Catless | CP-E FMIC | Quaife |
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 02:59 PM   #20
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

It all depends on budgit, you will find tons of jb3 2.0's used (400ish) but will have to get v4 new which is 1000ish although there is a lot of debate as to which is better but imo nothing to justify a $600 difference but thats just me. Also terry is the most helpful person I have met in my life. We exchanged over 50 emails in one day because I had an issue.
Get the bt tool to clear any codes
I would also get a bms dci; great intake, sounds wonderful, and just as functional as the other $400+ ones and just $135.
These three above can be bundled if you get them new from terry at bms
Emissions are not a big deal, just get it recertified before you get them. I like the vk dp's becasue they are cheap and you will only see a 7hp difference between 2.5" and 3" dp's (see mr.5's review/ dyno testing). Did I mention the Vk ones (if vince has any left) are $200, or get a set in the fs section for $250.
Fmic is nice to have, I would look into HPF's fmic, it is $995 with free shipping and is the largest on the market. Just in case you dont know HPF is one of the most repuitable builders for bmw aftermarket parts because they engineer everything to work perfectly and put a lot of tech into it. Also they are still cheaper than many on the market.
I would consider the m3 front control arms/ front sway bar, check them out at getbmwparts.com. Many will advise coil overs but unless you are tracking it I feel that the m3 pieces are just right as they clean up the feel of the car so there is little play and quick turn in while still being soft enough for every day driving. I think all of it is $600
I would also consider better pads/stainless steel break likes so you can get better breaks with out the 5K price of the aftermarket stuff, its about $450 from ecs tuning
I would also get the forge diverter valve/ Stett charge pipe combo. the craftsmenship is the best of the bunch.
With this combo you will be pushing 400 hp in a well balanced car.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 09:23 PM   #21
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So the KW3 progressive spring rate isn't the best for the XI? Now when you say the M3 items, do you mean the stock M3 shocks and struts? I keep getting confused about all the M3 items that people should use on their 335s.

I mean, are the stock M3 items better than aftermarket parts for the 335? Or is it just a cheaper alternative.

Also I read about chamber plates? If I decide to lower the car on coilovers (not an aggressive drop) would I need any additional parts for everything to have proper alignment? Oh ya, what about front strut braces and the rear one, I was also reading about this.. Is this a must for the XI???

So if I wanted to spend 4K initially, would this be a good start.

1.) Tune $500
2.) Diverter valve $300
3.) Coilovers $1500
4.) DP $1200 (I don't want a loud car with the catless DP)
5.) CAI/DCI $400

Ok, now is there anything I am missing that should be included with the list of initial mods. I'll fine tune the mods eventually but I just want the big stuff for now
Appreciate 0