E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > CLutch or flywheel

03-30-2010, 12:22 AM   #1
bakili
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw e90

Garage List
not old 318i  [0.00]
CLutch or flywheel

Guys,
i have problem with my clutch on my e90
car is 2006 56 reg, done 82k with full main dealer history.
The problem is, it starts badly juddering, specially after motorway journeys. When i drive around town even in heavy traffic, no problem, but after motorway journeys at 70mph i get bad clutch judder. Even yesterday i heard little bang noise after judder. I drove car around town for 2 weeks, and no single judder.
What it could be?
if it would be flywheel, it would do it all the time, not only after m/way driving?
I tried resting my foot on clutch, while on idle, did not feel any vibration, tried to test clutch-selecting 5th gear, apply hand brake on and try to move-engine comes to stalling, which shows clutch works correctly.
I been looking on other forums, looks like common problem. Many people reports that judder comes back in couple thousands miles after replacing flywheel and clutch by main dealer
I booked my car in two weeks time for inspection, but is it worth to pay £800 for flywheel and clutch, if judder will come back?
      03-30-2010, 01:55 AM   #2
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport

I had the same juddery clutch problem when I bought my motor in August 2009 and only took it into the dealer this past month because at first I thought it was me not riding the clutch properly. The car would judder in first at low speeds feeling as if it wanted to stall and when it went in for warranty work they found the flywheel had warped, leaked oil all over the clutch and contaminated it beyond repair. Everything was repaired under warranty but the dealer told me had the replacement of the flywheel and clutch been done out of warranty I would have been looking at a a bill of well over £1000.

Have to say it feels much better at the moment but then again I've only done around 500 miles since it was replaced. However it also went in for having a notchy gearbox, when they returned it they said this should be cured with the replacement clutch and at first this seemed correct but the notchy box is back with a vengeance now. Hopefully the clutch and flywheel don't go the same way but so far so good. Would I have paid for the repair out of warranty......? Probably not.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 04:56 AM   #3
bakili
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
not old 318i  [0.00]
I been quoted £800 for clutch and flywheel at local bmw indy.
What makes me not sure, car performs fine around town, start stop driving, first thing in the morning - i dont have any clutch issues at all, its only occurs after motorway journey
Looking on report clutch judder returns when clutch and flywheel replaced after around 2000 miles.

Is it worth to pay £800
      03-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

They may also update the ECU with a software fix which BMW use to get the RPM's over a certain point which reduces the chance of the judder when you pull away. Mine has had it but I haven't noticed much of a difference although others say its quite noticeable. However, I believe that this software update eliviates some of the juder problem by proxy although clearly doesn't rectify the problem itself. Combine this with a new flywheel and clutch and it may go away.

I'm hoping mine has anyway.

As before though, unless its a major issue I wouldn't fork out nearly a thousand quid for it, it was never that much of a problem, more a niggle that was thankfully sorted under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Think of it this way. For nearly a grand you could go on a nice two week holiday somewhere with the missus or repair the clutch and feel only a slight difference.

Is the problem being solved going to make you feel better than a nice holiday?

I'd say not.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
bakili
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
not old 318i  [0.00]
i just booked holiday with my misses
going away on 19th april
car goes to garage on 14th of april
i have £500 left to spend on holiday, i rather spend on car

i did another test today
has been told to drive on second gear, wait till rev reaches 3k, change to 5th gear straight away, and accelerate as hardest possible. If rev counter will move high and speed remain same-clutch is history.
in my case, rev counter dropped to 2k, car nearly stalled, and after started claiming back up same time as speed, which shows clutch works fine
i also have little oil leak, i suspect from vacuum pump behind engine, which is i hope will be covered under rac warranty, i also spoke to warranty company, and been told they might cover flywheel but not clutch.
      03-31-2010, 11:35 AM   #7
qwe178
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e91 318d touring

Hi i have a clutch problem aswell. If 2nd gear is selected, i can not get the car to move from stationary position. it always stalls. Does anyone have any ideas
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi (e92)

Garage List
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakili View Post
Guys,
i have problem with my clutch on my e90
car is 2006 56 reg, done 82k with full main dealer history.
The problem is, it starts badly juddering, specially after motorway journeys. When i drive around town even in heavy traffic, no problem, but after motorway journeys at 70mph i get bad clutch judder. Even yesterday i heard little bang noise after judder. I drove car around town for 2 weeks, and no single judder.
What it could be?
if it would be flywheel, it would do it all the time, not only after m/way driving?
I tried resting my foot on clutch, while on idle, did not feel any vibration, tried to test clutch-selecting 5th gear, apply hand brake on and try to move-engine comes to stalling, which shows clutch works correctly.
I been looking on other forums, looks like common problem. Many people reports that judder comes back in couple thousands miles after replacing flywheel and clutch by main dealer
I booked my car in two weeks time for inspection, but is it worth to pay £800 for flywheel and clutch, if judder will come back?

This is exactly what I noticed mine doing... I mentioned it when I brought it in for the 40k mile service yesterday. The dealer called today and said they will be dropping the transmission and checking the flywheel. Is this common?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 12:35 AM   #9
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwe178 View Post
Hi i have a clutch problem aswell. If 2nd gear is selected, i can not get the car to move from stationary position. it always stalls. Does anyone have any ideas
Yeah, use 1st gear.
      03-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #10
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi (e92)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
This is exactly what I noticed mine doing... I mentioned it when I brought it in for the 40k mile service yesterday. The dealer called today and said they will be dropping the transmission and checking the flywheel. Is this common?
Correction: They just called me and told me that they're not doing anything and that the clunking and chattering is "normal". I'm taking off from work now to go "show" them.
Appreciate 0