E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Car just about died at stop light...bucked, idle dropped, shudder almost

03-30-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Car just about died at stop light...bucked, idle dropped, shudder almost

Like the title says, it did all this. Just sitting a stop light and the idle went to around 400rpm...it was like if I didnt get the clutch in and stalled it style, except clutch was out, no gear engaged and just sitting at the light.

Put the car through its paces getting on the highway, on the highway and on the way home. No ill effects power wise. Havent had any long cranks or anything like this before. 30k on original pump (knock on wood).

Although, I did however just fill up and put 13 gallons of gas in...could have been air in the tank just kinda coming through? I mean literally 30 seconds before this happened I filled up.

Waiting for laptop to charge to see if the BT tool can spot anything. How do I full system scan for codes? Havent done that yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackz View Post
Like the title says, it did all this. Just sitting a stop light and the idle went to around 400rpm...it was like if I didnt get the clutch in and stalled it style, except clutch was out, no gear engaged and just sitting at the light.

Put the car through its paces getting on the highway, on the highway and on the way home. No ill effects power wise. Havent had any long cranks or anything like this before. 30k on original pump (knock on wood).

Although, I did however just fill up and put 13 gallons of gas in...could have been air in the tank just kinda coming through? I mean literally 30 seconds before this happened I filled up.

Waiting for laptop to charge to see if the BT tool can spot anything. How do I full system scan for codes? Havent done that yet.

just to clarify, the car was able to re-start??? did a check engine light come on?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
JeffL
Major
Rep
Drives: C63

your not in Mass are you? if so your car might be floating away.
      03-30-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
just to clarify, the car was able to re-start??? did a check engine light come on?
No, the car never died, it almost died, but didnt die...I wasnt paying attention and put the clutch in as natural reaction as if it were stalling and it was fine after that, NO CEL's or anything like that.

It made me remember that hey, its 30k miles...time for some BG44k fuel injection cleaner on the upcoming roadtrip to Vegas....I run that stuff every 30k miles in all cars Ive had. Maybe a dirty injector could have caused this little snafu.

Like I said, car runs fine now, just totally isolated incident, but enough to make me notice.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Quote:
No, the car never died, it almost died, but didnt die...I wasnt paying attention and put the clutch in as natural reaction as if it were stalling and it was fine after that, NO CEL's or anything like that.

It made me remember that hey, its 30k miles...time for some BG44k fuel injection cleaner on the upcoming roadtrip to Vegas....I run that stuff every 30k miles in all cars Ive had. Maybe a dirty injector could have caused this little snafu.

Like I said, car runs fine now, just totally isolated incident, but enough to make me notice.
I would just scan the car, as you suggested to see if any hidden codes came up...But from the sound of it, it's probably the car adapting to some sort of change, perhaps the gas companies are switching back to summer formulas and your car is just adapting.

Also, sometimes you are in such an auto-pilot mode, perhaps you were engaging your clutch without realizing it....
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 02:05 PM   #6
markinva
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 G82

I have had this happen as well, immediately right after fill up at idle. it then went away after what felt like an automatic idle adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 02:46 PM   #7
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep

Ran a short test on all modules...nothing found anywhere in the car. Everything checks out fine. Im thinking it had to be something with the gas fill up. Like I said, maybe a touch of air? I know I wasnt in gear though....I had put the clutch IN to save it, it wasnt a in out in or anything.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 10:46 PM   #8
TheTwinz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 300Z

sounds like the HPFP starting to act up...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 10:56 PM   #9
Bimmer This
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Ran a short test on all modules...nothing found anywhere in the car. Everything checks out fine. Im thinking it had to be something with the gas fill up. Like I said, maybe a touch of air? I know I wasnt in gear though....I had put the clutch IN to save it, it wasnt a in out in or anything.
I've never heard of air in the fuel on a gasoline engine before. Only diesels will act up with air/water in the fuel. Sounds like you might of have had a misfire condition or the fuel pump is starting to act up?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 11:04 PM   #10
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer This View Post
I've never heard of air in the fuel on a gasoline engine before. Only diesels will act up with air/water in the fuel. Sounds like you might of have had a misfire condition or the fuel pump is starting to act up?
Had to drive later and nothing bad at all....maybe just a random ass thing. Maybe I did have it on auto pilot too much and had it in gear and dropped clutch....its possible but I highly doubt it. Ill just keep an eye on it.

Oh yea, running fuel injection cleaner on the way to Vegas....that should help alot too. And new spark plugs next week because Im getting a new toy
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 11:08 PM   #11
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:
Im getting a new toy