E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Michelin Pilot Sport 2

04-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport

Michelin Pilot Sport 2

I am on the look out for four new tyres (not rfts) and have decided on the Michelin PS2's. Would have ideally wanted the new PS3's but they don't do them in my size.

I have the 17" wheels, 255/40/R17s at the back with 225/45/R17s at the front. On checking BlackCircles, Tyre Shopper etc I have struggled to find the rear tyre in my size, most places don't stock it and the only ones that do carry the N3 tag after the model number stating it is a Porsche spec tyre and shouldn't be used on any other make of car. Is this true and if I did plump for this tyre would there be any problems?

Anyone else know where I can get the rear PS2s that are non Porsche specced N3 models?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 02:12 AM   #2
MOB
Major
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2 LCI

http://www.911uk.com/template.php?page=3

The N rating is an accreditation, so iould say they would be ok on other cars, but I would match all 4 tyres

Only my opinion though, I'm no expert
      04-03-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Is the N3 tyre any different than the normal one, i.e is the tread or construction altered as I'm thinking should I change to non runflats and get tyres that have been specifically designed for a Porsche and been told by the sellers not to use on other vehicles, if I claimed after a crash would my insurance be void?

Surely Michelin have PS2's in my size for the back - anyone know a stockist that will match Blackcircles?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Anyone got any ideas guys?

I have emailed Michelin direct as I don't want to void the insurance but as yet they haven't got back to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 02:54 AM   #5
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

The N3 doesn't mean they are 'designed' specially for porsche, just approve as an OE tyre fitment by porsche.

So I would say if its passed porsche approval its a good tyre.

The conti 3's I have on my 335i are 'MO' marked which is the mercedes OE approval mark.

The PS3 are very new and I think the sizes are limited to start with (i.e. at the moment) and the range will expand in time.

As said, if you go for N3 make sure its all 4.

Last edited by doughboy; 04-07-2010 at 03:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 06:11 PM   #6
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

The 17inch M sport wheels I have really limit my tyre choice because of the odd sizing and although I wanted the new PS3's apparently it won't be until the beginning of next year that they will have my size available.

The PS2's I can only get the Porsche spec tyres for the rear and normal spec for the fronts which means I'll have to mix them if I want the PS2's. Tyre shopper state that the Porsche spec tyres should NOT be used on any other car so that has made me jittery considering the increased liklihood of a blow out moving from run flats and the inplications this has on the insurance.....
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Just checked my inbox and received the news I was dreading....

We do not recommend the Pilot Sport PS2 N3 tyre fitment for the rear of a BMW 320D M Sport and do not have a suitable sports performance tyre that we would suggest.

Once again thank you for your interest in Michelin.

Great. I don't want Falkens and not too keen on the Goodyear Eagle F1. Either way the runflats aren't staying on!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 03:07 AM   #8
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Vred's get a great write up on here?
      04-07-2010, 03:15 AM   #9
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveF1 View Post
Just checked my inbox and received the news I was dreading....

We do not recommend the Pilot Sport PS2 N3 tyre fitment for the rear of a BMW 320D M Sport and do not have a suitable sports performance tyre that we would suggest.

Once again thank you for your interest in Michelin.

Great. I don't want Falkens and not too keen on the Goodyear Eagle F1. Either way the runflats aren't staying on!
Continental ContiSport 3s then?
      04-07-2010, 03:34 AM   #10
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveF1 View Post
If you want to buy proper tyres then Conti sport 3's are brilliant mate, I have them on the 335 and they are available in your sizes for sure.

They are in the same top end High Performance category, but IMO a better all-rounder than PS2, quieter and massively better in the wet than a PS2 but without perhaps the ultimate dry grip, but like I said better all round for our purposes.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 06:18 AM   #11
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
If you want to buy proper tyres then Conti sport 3's are brilliant mate, I have them on the 335 and they are available in your sizes for sure.

They are in the same top end High Performance category, but IMO a better all-rounder than PS2, quieter and massively better in the wet than a PS2 but without perhaps the ultimate dry grip, but like I said better all round for our purposes.
So you keeping your Conti's mate - thought you were going to get somthing more track focused?
      04-07-2010, 07:17 AM   #12
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
So you keeping your Conti's mate - thought you were going to get somthing more track focused?
LOL! Well remembered!

I'd still like to do that - but as usual time moves on and having just took the winters rims/tyres off 2 weeks ago (getting very soft in the recent warm spell) the Conti's are back on the car and its tricky to sell / buy without the wife noticing yet another set of tyres stacked in the shed!

The Conti3's are a great all rounder like I said, IMO the best for our RWD bimmer, but having winters means you can go a bit more wild on the summer rubber.

Been looking at the new Bridgestone Re11 track/high perf summer tyre, mmm tasty....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=Potenza+RE-11

Ouch says the wallet!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #13
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
LOL! Well remembered!

I'd still like to do that - but as usual time moves on and having just took the winters rims/tyres off 2 weeks ago (getting very soft in the recent warm spell) the Conti's are back on the car and its tricky to sell / buy without the wife noticing yet another set of tyres stacked in the shed!

The Conti3's are a great all rounder like I said, IMO the best for our RWD bimmer, but having winters means you can go a bit more wild on the summer rubber.

Been looking at the new Bridgestone Re11 track/high perf summer tyre, mmm tasty....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=Potenza+RE-11

Ouch says the wallet!
Very tricky...unless you sell the Conti's

mmm, those Bridgestones do look good. That website gives the Goodyear F1's a very high rating as well...
      04-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #14
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I had Conti Sport Conact 2's on my Fiesta and remember that although they felt good they wore down real fast and aquaplaned like mad. In tyre tests Contis always appear 'mid pack' and although they request premium prices they don't often offer premium performance.

I ruled out the Goodyear because of poor wear and roll resistance thats what pushed me towards the PS2....
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 02:34 AM   #15
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Strange about the conti2, they used to do very well in wet tests?

Yes, the conti3' do often appear 'mid pack' but they are a great all round high performance tyre and you need to look at the test criterea. They perform especially well on heavier RWD cars like E9x (nothing like a fiesta!), whereas most tyre group tests are on lighter front wheel drive cars.

Conti3's are fantastic in the wet and almost as good as a PS2 in the dry on a E9x. By comparison PS2 are a greasy slippy mess in the wet compared to Conti 3. With PS2 in the wet and cold its an arse-twitch away from losing the back or front on roundabouts and ESP saving your bacon in a BM. The Conti's are more progressive when they do slide in the wet too.

Conti3's are also the only all round tyre recommended by Birds BMW after extensive testing of lots of tyres on BMW's over the years, and although that wasn't why I bought them it was a contributing factor.

No disrespect, but with a 320d on the road, the greater ultimate dry traction of a PS2 will not be missed.

The contis are priced in line with their high end technical construction and high speed ratings,

Interestingly your size, the Conti3 225/45/17 was also voted WHICH BEST BUY tyre in April 2009 for all round performance, safety, price and tread wear!

Last edited by doughboy; 04-08-2010 at 02:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 05:13 AM   #16
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

With the Contis they offer the reinforced XL tyre as well as normal tyres. I am moving from runflats because of the harsh ride I get on the M sport suspension so would it be better to get the normal tyres or should I get the reinforced ones because the car is setup to run tyres with stiffer sidewalls?

Also, is getting the tyres filled with nitrogen instead of common or garden air worth the extra few quid or is it a load of tosh?
Appreciate 0