E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > HPFP replaced...Engine Malfunction-Power Loss!!!

04-03-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
zesus-3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

HPFP replaced...Engine Malfunction-Power Loss!!!

Hey Guys, Just recently had the HPFP on my 07 335i cpe done....SO car was running fine for the last 3 days...then today after about 200 miles of driving, I came to a stop, and an "Engine Malfunction" message comes up on the I-drive screen, it says car can still run, but loss of power.....So now im driving around in Limp Mode....wtf? Is it bad to drive the car around like this?

I am going to bring the car back to the dealership on Monday.....but any idea why this may have happened? The car is still under warranty so im not really worried.... I read on here that some people have had issues with thier car after the HPFP getting replaced.....

Any ideas guys?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
zesus-3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update.....let the car sit for about 25 minutes then went back and took it for a spin....everything was fine...no error/malfunction warnings....took it lightly around the block a few times, then ran 2nd-4th hard on the highway near me....Everything seemed to be ok....I dont get it!!!!

Note: I did have an erratic idrive/nav issue about a month ago where the idriv screen turned off, then "no-sos" error came up...Dealer checked it and could not find anything....then my service advisor asked what phone Ihad paired to the bluetooth...turns out one of my phones was not on the "approved list" of Verizon phones for compatibility. My Idrive was apparently re-set or something (all my sound settings were reset) and just after I got the above mentioned malfunction code I unpaired my phone....SA said that having a phone paired that was not approved could cause I-drive to go haywire...and they had been seeing that recently...

THought?

FYI: My SA always takes care of me, and the dealership always takes care of all my warranty work without a question....They are super professional and a pleasure to deal with, so much in fact, that I drive 30 miles to get work done there so I would assume they are telling the truth and trying to look me out.....IDK
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 12:43 AM   #3
bspaceman
The Last Beautiful Free Soul On This Planet
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i coupe

First, I highly doubt that it is your iDrive causing the issue. Second, my No SOS msg happened at the exact same time as yours, just after my HPFP through the engine malfunction cel. If you throw the code again you need to take it to the dealer IN LIMP MODE. Do not attempt to clear it. They need to see the code in order to establish an issue and submit a work order.

When they replaced your HPFP did they update the software first?

Jet Black/Black Leather 335i coupe (totaled courtesy of the pizza kid
Sport/Premi/Comft/Nav - iDrive/Sirius/iPod/OEM Body kit, M Sideskirts, M deck lip, Miro 366s on Nitto 555 NTs, Matte Black Grills, Valentine 1 hardwire, 35% tint, BMS Lighting, BMS computer magic, BMS Dual Cone
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
zesus-3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hmmm, thanks for the information,,,,I highly doubted the idrive messing things up either....I was driving my car pretty hard yesterday but other than that, everything else was normal......

By taking my car to the dealer in LIMP MODE, you are saying that as soon as I get the mode, drive straight to the dealership and try not to turn the car off? Shouldnt the car start up again in LIMP MODE if it was really something bad? And shouldnt the LIMP MODE code be stored in the ECU so they could read it regardless if it was actually in the mode when I took the car there?

Let me know. thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 04:45 PM   #5
v4voodoo
Private
Rep
Drives: Blue 07 335i Coupe

Doesn't matter if you turn off the car or not, the codes will be stored for them to retrieve regardless.
Appreciate 0