E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Help diagnosing???

04-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #1
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Question Help diagnosing???

Vehicle:
2007 e92 335i 6MT
38,XXX miles

Mods:
DCI's, ****** BOV and golf tee mod.

Problem:
Rough idle/misfire upon cold starts and warm starts. Idle is actually worse when the car is at operating temp. Last week the car was missing so bad during start up that I got the half engine light two days in a row. Other than the misfiring during start ups the car runs perfect, no stutters, runs smooth as butter.

I changed the plugs last week thinking that was the problem after alot of researching on here. After a couple days from installing the plugs it was clear they made no change to the misfire/rough idle. I then got the half engine light the following day and figured I would just take it in to the dealer to see if they could pull any codes. They in fact found 4 codes, each code showed a bad injector. BMW then recommended that I replace all 6. I knew injectors were not cheap and told the SA that I didn't have 1800 euros to fix this. She then called HQ in Munich to see if they would cover some of the parts and leave me to pay the labor. She got a message back from Munich 5 minutes later saying that BMW would cover 100% of parts and I would only have to pay for labor. That actually really impressed me because in Europe, BMW's only get a 2 year warrantycompared to the 4 year warranty in the states.

So I got my car back today. I started it at the dealership and it started up very smoothly, ZERO misfires. I was super stoked to see my car idling as smooth as I have ever heard it. I was like sweet, its fixed. I take the 15 minute drive back to my house. As I finish parking my car I notice I feel the same misfire as before. I turn down the stereo to confirm and sure enough the same fucking misfire is still there. I know the only things left are coil packs and ofcourse the HPFP. What is really irritating me is that if it was one of those two things, wouldn't there have been a code of some sort codes for them also???

Any suggestions and please don't say" USE THE SEARCH BUTTON", because I have pretty much worn it out.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post!
-Nick
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3to335i View Post
Vehicle:
2007 e92 335i 6MT
38,XXX miles

Mods:
DCI's, ****** BOV and golf tee mod.

Problem:
Rough idle/misfire upon cold starts and warm starts. Idle is actually worse when the car is at operating temp. Last week the car was missing so bad during start up that I got the half engine light two days in a row. Other than the misfiring during start ups the car runs perfect, no stutters, runs smooth as butter.

I changed the plugs last week thinking that was the problem after alot of researching on here. After a couple days from installing the plugs it was clear they made no change to the misfire/rough idle. I then got the half engine light the following day and figured I would just take it in to the dealer to see if they could pull any codes. They in fact found 4 codes, each code showed a bad injector. BMW then recommended that I replace all 6. I knew injectors were not cheap and told the SA that I didn't have 1800 euros to fix this. She then called HQ in Munich to see if they would cover some of the parts and leave me to pay the labor. She got a message back from Munich 5 minutes later saying that BMW would cover 100% of parts and I would only have to pay for labor. That actually really impressed me because in Europe, BMW's only get a 2 year warrantycompared to the 4 year warranty in the states.

So I got my car back today. I started it at the dealership and it started up very smoothly, ZERO misfires. I was super stoked to see my car idling as smooth as I have ever heard it. I was like sweet, its fixed. I take the 15 minute drive back to my house. As I finish parking my car I notice I feel the same misfire as before. I turn down the stereo to confirm and sure enough the same fucking misfire is still there. I know the only things left are coil packs and ofcourse the HPFP. What is really irritating me is that if it was one of those two things, wouldn't there have been a code of some sort codes for them also???

Any suggestions and please don't say" USE THE SEARCH BUTTON", because I have pretty much worn it out.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post!
-Nick
Bring it back to the dealer, they should warranty their work. In my case, there were calibration issues on the injectors. Also it could be fouled o2 sensors caused by the faulty injectiors and as you mentioned, bad coilpacks.

With the coilpacks, try moving the coilpacks around to see if the mis-fires change cylinders....If they do, that would be a relatively easy fix you can do at home.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2010, 01:37 AM   #3
rbaldwin28
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Sport Prem. White

Garage List
2007 335I  [0.00]
Plugs could be soaked in fuel and now they don't work as good. I think thats why cold starts are ruff because of the fuel running down tho the spark plug while the car sits then you start it and it begins to burn off and heat up. Then it may even run ok but the plugs could be toast if its been doing that for a while.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2010, 02:50 AM   #4
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbaldwin28 View Post
Plugs could be soaked in fuel and now they don't work as good. I think thats why cold starts are ruff because of the fuel running down tho the spark plug while the car sits then you start it and it begins to burn off and heat up. Then it may even run ok but the plugs could be toast if its been doing that for a while.
True, however the injectors were replaced 3 days after the new plugs were installed. Could leaking injectors ruin brand new plugs in only 3 day??? Thanks for the suggestion thus far guys.

-Nick
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2010, 09:46 AM   #5
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep

Anybody else have any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #6
rbaldwin28
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Sport Prem. White

Garage List
2007 335I  [0.00]
Quote:
True, however the injectors were replaced 3 days after the new plugs were installed. Could leaking injectors ruin brand new plugs in only 3 day??? Thanks for the suggestion thus far guys.

-Nick
Yea your plugs should be fine then. I would think o2 censor would be next if your miss-fires are in three cylinders or coils if it is in 1 or 2. I am going through some thing similar to what you are experiencing. My car runs fine with out my tune but I get miss fire cylinder 5 and 6 when boosting more. I am looking at the coil packs later tonight.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 12:29 AM   #7
irq5
South Africa
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, M-Sport, 8AT

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I've had pretty much the same problem and just got my car back yesterday from the dealer. They said it was the VANOS solenoid that was poked - replaced it and it all seemed fine until this morning.

I started up this morning and found that it definitely started easier and ran better, but still got a check engine light and rough idle after about 30 seconds. Turned off and on again and the problem was gone and didn't resurface. Car's going to be going back in tomorrow though...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 12:10 AM   #8
irq5
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
So, another round on the dealers computer revealed that it's an injector issue - injectors being replaced with new part numbered injectors which supposedly only arrived in SA in Feb 2010... Here's hoping!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 11:49 PM   #9
irq5
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Just thought I'd post an update for those interested:

I got the car back from the dealer last week Friday and so far no problems again. Car feels great again

They replaced all 6 injectors, 2 plugs and 2 coils. Looks like the injectors might be a problem for the 335 after all...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 11:39 AM   #10
TriniJots
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

OP, what was your result?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #11
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep

injectors didnt change a thing. sold the car last week and bought a C6 Corvette. No more idling problem, lol. I was going to buy new coil packs as a last ditch effort but said fuck it and moved on to a new whip.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #12
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
injectors didnt change a thing. sold the car last week and bought a C6 Corvette. No more idling problem, lol. I was going to buy new coil packs as a last ditch effort but said fuck it and moved on to a new whip.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #13
TriniJots
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Wow! Thanks for dashing my hopes of my 335i being fixed hahaha
mine has been at the dealership for the last 2 weeks with this problem and they havent fixed it yet
Appreciate 0