E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Strange warranty work

04-13-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
Strange warranty work

I'll explain the fault in a minute but this is the second shot at fixing the fault and now the car is in for a week and I've got a 116i Sport to get me around.

Is this some complex serious problem? No. And it can only happen to an E92 - with comfort access. (Takes deep breath) Here goes.

The seat belt assistant operates under the following circumstances:

Power is switched on (for passenger one to work, there must also be someone sitting in the passenger seat). It also works if power is on and the door is opened and then closed.

In cars without comfort access, power goes on when the fob is inserted in the slot - the seat belt assistant operates.

With comfort access fitted, the fob isn't inserted so the belt works when power is supplied - i.e. you start the engine or, without the clutch depressed, you hit the start/stop button.

Everything clear so far?

With my car, you get in, immediately start the engine, and the belt doesn't work.

OR

You get in, hit the start button without depressing the clutch - it doesn't work. You have to do things twice. Either, get in, start the engine, open and close the door or hit the start button without depressing the clutch and then start the engine - so it only works the second time.

Weird or what? They tried to blame it on my Parrot bluetooth system - although it has been in the car since the day after I got it (over two years). It has now been disconnected for five weeks without any difference.

After I got my new headlight washer they curiously had to update the software. Ever since, the seatbelt assistant has been acting up, I have the funny high revs which is BMW's heath-robinson approach to curing the juddering clutch when moving off in first gear, there is an annoying drone from the engine, and, on a decent run, my fuel consumption has improved!?

Strange BMW. Strange approach to warranty. I suspect they are on a drive to increase chargeable warranty workshop hours...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 10:25 AM   #2
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

My seat-belt handover misses the friggin' belt 9 times out of 10.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
Nickhub
Private
England
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

My seat-belt handover was also missing the belt nearly everytime, the complete unit was replaced at the dealer with no problem under warranty. Still not perfect but much better. I had to book the car in for a second time for them to fix it as they did not have the parts in stock. I think they must be able to charge back to BMW for each visit.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

I don't have comfort access, but my handover has similar idiosyncrasies in that without a passenger, it will sometimes handover only my belt, yet in identical conditions, both belts will be actuated; perhaps it thinks the invisible man is sat next to me.
Having said all that, it has never failed to pick up both belts, whether or not required.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
I don't have comfort access, but my handover has similar idiosyncrasies in that without a passenger, it will sometimes handover only my belt, yet in identical conditions, both belts will be actuated; perhaps it thinks the invisible man is sat next to me...
Same here...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 06:09 AM   #6
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
Since the car was in for five days I decided to get some other things attended to: a rattling rear parcel shelf, and a new drone from the engine which was bugging me.

Got the car back and, after five days in a 116i sport, it was like getting a new car - with everything fixed - including the seat belt extender!

It looks as if the software has been upgraded - again, and the Heath-Robinson cure for the juddering first gear seems to have been removed but there has been no bad clutch judder since I got it back (only about 30 miles - time will tell.)

It's strange but, usually after a car has been in for a service or some warranty or other, it comes back feeling as if there is something else wrong with it but everytime it has come out of Park's it actually feels better - even the auto stop/start is working perfectly - which had not been the case for months - very reluctant to operate.

So, still very happy with my car.
Appreciate 0