E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > KDS Results...

05-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
shane55
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M-Sport Auto

KDS Results...now updated

Here are my KDS results...they are a little confusing as there are three pages...they had trouble making adjustments to the trackrods thats why it was done a couple of times...I think!
Attached Images

Last edited by shane55; 05-12-2010 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
interesting.....where did you get them done?...I might need one aswell...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 03:02 AM   #3
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Where are the results that show all the readings now in tolerance?

Even the last one shows the front camber and toe still being out of tolerance?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 04:20 AM   #4
shane55
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Ah yes I have just noticed, I was reading the originals at the dealer and asked for a copy and it looks like it was enlarged by mistake!...they are emailing me today with originals ...ill post them later
      05-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #5
daz72
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 325i M-Sport

Garage List
2008 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55 View Post
Ah yes I have just noticed, I was reading the originals at the dealer and asked for a copy and it looks like it was enlarged by mistake!...they are emailing me today with originals ...ill post them later

Do you think you could put that in the OP? I've just wasted several minutes trying to make some sense of those read-outs.

Cheers

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

can anyone explain how the suspension alters itself? the car is bolted together and apart from bending a part of the suspension or steering i dont understand how it can alter
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
can anyone explain how the suspension alters itself? the car is bolted together and apart from bending a part of the suspension or steering i dont understand how it can alter
Things shift mate, metal flexes, joints loosen, components wear. If you take a knock (say over a pothole or something) that could in theory shift a component without bending/damaging it. The holes that things are bolted through have tolerances etc...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 01:30 PM   #8
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

Hi

I recently had one done on a Hunter machine. The guy has a contract with a couple of local Mercerdes dealers - he does quite a few of their cars with only around 1000 miles on the clock and it's obvious (to him) that they have left the factory incorrectly aligned.

Jeff
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #9
Mike-Bracknell
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 M-Sport 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff123 View Post
Hi

I recently had one done on a Hunter machine. The guy has a contract with a couple of local Mercerdes dealers - he does quite a few of their cars with only around 1000 miles on the clock and it's obvious (to him) that they have left the factory incorrectly aligned.

Jeff
This isn't a surprise. Having come from a Lotus background, where you'd think handling and geo matter more than anything else, a lot of cars leave the factory misaligned. BMW aren't likely to be any different - especially given the way they transport the cars and the volumes in which they're built.

Besides, you might find the factory settings not to be optimal anyway, and prefer a different setup.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 04:24 PM   #10
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-Bracknell View Post
This isn't a surprise. Having come from a Lotus background, where you'd think handling and geo matter more than anything else, a lot of cars leave the factory misaligned. BMW aren't likely to be any different - especially given the way they transport the cars and the volumes in which they're built.

Besides, you might find the factory settings not to be optimal anyway, and prefer a different setup.
+1

For the Honda S2000, a car I know well they have the same issues.
Brand new cars are barely within spec, so even new they benefit from a full calibration.
The issue is not the absolute values themselves but the cross-values.
That is having the smae angles on each end of an axle.
Both may be 'in spec' but the left at one end of 'in spec', and the right wheel at the opposite end of 'just in'.
And thats where things get a bit messy with the handling, the difference between the two may be quite large in this case.

Small cross cambers dont make a world of difference, but cross toe really does.
And too much toe in really scrubs the inside edges of tyres on big camber cars like the rears of these.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 04:32 PM   #11
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
Rubber bushes.
Almost all of the moving joints in the suspension arms have rubber bushings.
They give and wear and move about and thats normally enough to alter things.
Such tiny adjustments are requred its quite amazing they dont alter more given the state of the roads.

Ref the other post about still being out of tolerance, yes the front cambers appear to be very different.
However there is no simple answer to this on a car with struts up front.
You would have to probably rework the top strut mounts to alter the camber on these cars, and that means a lot of dremel and drilling!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 03:47 AM   #12
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1bjr View Post
Ref the other post about still being out of tolerance, yes the front cambers appear to be very different.
However there is no simple answer to this on a car with struts up front.
You would have to probably rework the top strut mounts to alter the camber on these cars, and that means a lot of dremel and drilling!
It seems the scans are missing the right hand side which show the readings AFTER adjustment!!

So we don't know how the car ended up after the work was done!

The front cambers are only 24 minutes apart, so only undr 1/2 of a degree between them, not perfect but not really an issue on a car like ours IMO.

Our front ends are only adjustable for toe, all others are fixed. Whereas the rear is fully adjustable AFAIK.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #13
mgarvey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Renault Megane

By way of comparison, here are my results from a BMW main dealer when I had my last lot of runflats replaced (owing to the usual inside edge abnormal wear).

Didn't help though - after 8000 miles my new set of Bridgestones looked like this:

Now replaced by non-runflat and we'll see what happens.

Previous: F30 318d Sport, R56 MINI Dooper 2010, E93 325i M-Sport auto 2007, E91 320d SE 2005, E46 318Ci Coupe 2002
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #14
shane55
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Does anyone know why the ride height is omitted from two of them?