E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Bluetooth/Heated Seat/12v Power Questions - Confused!

05-07-2010, 04:01 AM   #1
sdb123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 M-Sport

Bluetooth/Heated Seat/12v Power Questions - Confused!

Hi all,

I've searched high and low and am still a little confused, so apologies in advance.

I'm about to place an order through my Company for a 320d EfficientDynamics. Three things leave me a little confused though, so hopefully you'll be able to help.

I'm speccing the Sports Seats and wanted to add the Heated Seats option too however I read through the BMW accessories/options and it stated Heated Seats cannot be specified in conjunction with Sports Seats. Is this right? I've seen nothing on the BMW car configurator that states this isn't allowed.

Secondly, Bluetooth...!

I am not specifying Sat-Nav/Media but assume (from all my reading) that Bluetooth is not possible without these packages. Am I right or completely wrong here?

Last of all - 12v Power Sockets

In the options/accessories there is an option for 4 x 12v Power Sockets to be fitted. Whereabouts are these fitted in the car? I will be deleting the smokers pack so assume that the cigarette lighter would be replaced by a single 12v socket anyhow.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Steve
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 04:11 AM   #2
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Hi Steve,

1. Heated seats elements cannot be dealer retrofitted into sports seats but they can be ordered from the factory with them. The options and accessories catalogue you have will be for post-build dealer fit parts not factory orders.

2. Of course you can spec bluetooth and telematics without nav and idrive. Thats for sure.

3. Again are you looking in the post-build accessories brochure?? Factory orders with the Extended storage option 2 extra sockets in the rear centre console. Standard you get 1 in the front console and 1 in the boot.

There are 2 brochures usually, 1 is the main brochure and 1 is the 'accessories' brochure.

Last edited by doughboy; 05-07-2010 at 04:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 04:46 AM   #3
sdb123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hi doughboy,

Thanks for the quick (and detailed) reply.

Heated Seats are in then....

Okey dokey - bluetooth.

Am I right in thinking I need to specify:
  • Bluetooth Telephone Audio Connection
  • USB Audio Interface
  • Bluetooth Phone Prep
Thanks,

Steve
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 04:56 AM   #4
CHG
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A Variety of 4 Wheeled Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb123 View Post
Hi doughboy,

Thanks for the quick (and detailed) reply.

Heated Seats are in then....

Okey dokey - bluetooth.

Am I right in thinking I need to specify:
  • Bluetooth Telephone Audio Connection
  • USB Audio Interface
  • Bluetooth Phone Prep
Thanks,

Steve
Bluetooth Telephone Audio Connection is (only available in conjunction with USB) is only really necessary if you have an iPhone...I wont confuse you by explaining why, but if you do I will explain

USB is not required for Bluetooth Phone Prep. It basically adds a USB socket in the arm rest so that you can plug your ipod in via usb, and control it through the car

You can get Bluetooth phone Prep on it's own...about a £275 option i think. You can't have it with telematics however if you don't have iDrive.

As far as heated seats are concerned, I have them in mine, and compared to my Touareg, they are like rockets on your a*se
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 05:10 AM   #5
sdb123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by colourhutgroup View Post
Bluetooth Telephone Audio Connection is (only available in conjunction with USB) is only really necessary if you have an iPhone...I wont confuse you by explaining why, but if you do I will explain

USB is not required for Bluetooth Phone Prep. It basically adds a USB socket in the arm rest so that you can plug your ipod in via usb, and control it through the car

You can get Bluetooth phone Prep on it's own...about a £275 option i think. You can't have it with telematics however if you don't have iDrive.

As far as heated seats are concerned, I have them in mine, and compared to my Touareg, they are like rockets on your a*se
A-ha!

I understand what you're saying about the USB connection now - I won't need that then (or the Bluetooth Audio Connection).

On the configurator, Bluetooth Preperation is around £530! I wish it was £275.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 06:52 AM   #6
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
Bare in mind if you delete the smoker package, you lose the cig lighter/12 volt socket entirely and instead of having a lid that matches the rest of the trim, you will have a shallow plastic hole.

IMO, it's ugly looking!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 08:39 AM   #7
Boyd1963
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 320d e92

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb123 View Post
A-ha!

I understand what you're saying about the USB connection now - I won't need that then (or the Bluetooth Audio Connection).

On the configurator, Bluetooth Preperation is around £530! I wish it was £275.

Steve
Get the USB connection. You will really regret it if you don't. If money is not too tight I personally would also get DAB and HIFI stereo.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 10:36 AM   #8
CHG
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd1963 View Post
Get the USB connection. You will really regret it if you don't. If money is not too tight I personally would also get DAB and HIFI stereo.
IMO, USB is only beneficial with iDrive, as trying to scroll through on the prof radio is a nightmare....Also, he might not listen to music
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 10:40 AM   #9
Boyd1963
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
IMO, USB is only beneficial with iDrive, as trying to scroll through on the prof radio is a nightmare....Also, he might not listen to music
I think that it still has it's uses with the prof radio even if you just set it to random play. I've got the ipod interface with prof and find that it is really good for audio books as well as music. (And USB is much better than the ipod interface)
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 04:18 AM   #10
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post

3. Again are you looking in the post-build accessories brochure?? Factory orders with the Extended storage option 2 extra sockets in the rear centre console. Standard you get 1 in the front console and 1 in the boot.
I ordered the storage pack on mine (all be it a different model year) and ended up with one by the ashtray in front of the gear stick, on under the center armrest, 2 in the rear center console and one in the boot.

I assumed the one in the boot was an E91 thing
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 04:38 AM   #11
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

So USB with no i-drive is a pain to use? How many tracks can see you on the prof radio screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd1963 View Post
I think that it still has it's uses with the prof radio even if you just set it to random play.
If you're just going to use random, then you may as well use the standard AUX-in socket, perhaps with a Kensington Liquid thingy.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 07:17 AM   #12
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

The prof radio screen gives a two line display so the max you get is two tracks on screen at once.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 09:38 AM   #13
CHG
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris330D View Post
The prof radio screen gives a two line display so the max you get is two tracks on screen at once.
I had a 325d Coupe with USB and Pro Radio, and it was a pain in the backside scrolling through 6000 songs. So much so, i scrapped the USB and just plugged in the aux cable. Get yourself a decent AUX cable, control it via your ipod, and save yourself £205.

Only disadvantage is it doesn't charge it, but 1) New ipods batteries last forever, and 2) On my E91, there's a 12v socket in the armrest anyway, so you can just plug in a car charger.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 02:44 PM   #14
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Yes it is cheaper but the aux is fed from the jack (headphone) output of the iPOD, you are therefore using the iPODS own amp to output the songs. The sound quality is better from the iPOD connector. Also if you use playlists ytou don't have to scroll through everything.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #15
CHG
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes it is cheaper but the aux is fed from the jack (headphone) output of the iPOD, you are therefore using the iPODS own amp to output the songs. The sound quality is better from the iPOD connector. Also if you use playlists ytou don't have to scroll through everything.

Basically, Chris likes it, I don't (well i do with my iDrive, but not on the prof)

He does speak the truth when he says the quality is better though :P

Best thing is, pop down to your dealers and have see if they have anything with usb and prof radio....If it's anything like my local dealer, they seem to spec every demo with USB interface....Maybe Chris and Boyd work there?

Last edited by CHG; 05-08-2010 at 04:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 04:55 AM   #16
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
This is true, but there is a way around this - a Kensington Liquid Ax (about £40) charges and takes the 'proper' non-headphone Audio out of the connector on an iPod / iPhone. It even comes with a remote to select next/prev/random tracks. I got one and also bought a mounting dock and fitted this in the armrest - this means I can slide the iphone into the armrest without looking and faffing with connectors. The iphone works through bluetooth for calls / address book as normal.

Pic below:

Now this is not as good as the proper iphone integration, and I of course prefer USB / Bluetooth on a new car with Idrive, but if you're on a budget and aren't getting iDrive I think this could be a good option.

This was also a while ago too and there maybe better options on the market now.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 11:21 AM   #17
sdb123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the replies all.

I didn't spec USB in the end....I do listen to music but one thing in addition to the above quote is that I have an iPod with a LOD (Line Out Dock) adapter > 3.5mm cable so it will be perfect for the AUX port.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 04:55 PM   #18
USAman
Private
Rep
Drives: car

aaa

Last edited by USAman; 08-10-2014 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #19
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric View Post
That looks spot on!!

Do you have any pictures of the remote for it Is it steering wheel mountable?

Cheers,
The remote is actually shown in the picture above on the right - I stuck it on the trim to begin with, then stuck it on the steering wheel behind the spoke (so it was invisible). Its battery powered and RF, so no wires. It comes with a clamp for the rim of the steering wheel, but that looks naff - look it up on Amazon - there are pictures (its a Kensington Liquid Aux).

The brodit mount is as attached link....

http://www.car-mounts.co.uk/proddeta...od=915246_3539

....its a "pass through" version, so will take any iphone connectors.

I screwed it (self tappers) to the phone cradle 'blank' and put some foam tape on the backing to prevent any damage - the blank is easily replaceable from a dealer.

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 02:55 AM   #20
Boyd1963
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
If it's anything like my local dealer, they seem to spec every demo with USB interface....Maybe Chris and Boyd work there?
No but I've had a lot of demo cars and I love USB even on prof.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 01:00 PM   #21
USAman
Private
Rep
Drives: car

aaa

Last edited by USAman; 08-10-2014 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 01:42 PM   #22
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric View Post
Cheers for the info mate, looks very very smart!

One last question, on all the pictures, the Kensington Aux seems to have one sold part from the plub in the cigarette lighter to the dock for the phone, does this come apart? As i notice yours are just on wires from the cig. lighter?

Cheers,
The kensington aux plugs into the 12v socket - this is the remote recr and power source - there are wires to both the audio in socket and the ipod connector (see top photo).

Having posted all this - if it were a new car that I was speccing without nav (not that I'd do that), I'd probably still spec USB! I would probably still get a Brodit dock though and use the BMW Y-cable with it - the fact you can plug it in without looking and faffing with cables is a major plus.
Appreciate 0