E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Help 335i not happy

05-07-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
335ier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Help 335i not happy

Hi all,

Hi all

Ive been working round the clock lately and for the past 4-5 weeks the cars been sat on the driveway and not moved!! Today I eventually got a spare hour tried to start it and loads of strange noises and random faults on the display including steering lock fault (red) trap protection fault etc came on but no start I reckoned the battery was dead so I set out to buy jump leads meanwhile the car was making all sorts of grinding buzzing noises and wouldn’t stop . So I disconnected a battery terminal so it didn’t cause any damage while I got the jump leads. When I got back it started fine and works drives all ok however I still have the red electric steering wheel fault light on constantly can this be reset myself? I am assuming the car recorded this when there wasn’t enough power to unlock it but needs to be manually reset.
Any thoughts info would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ier View Post
Hi all,

Hi all

Ive been working round the clock lately and for the past 4-5 weeks the cars been sat on the driveway and not moved!! Today I eventually got a spare hour tried to start it and loads of strange noises and random faults on the display including steering lock fault (red) trap protection fault etc came on but no start I reckoned the battery was dead so I set out to buy jump leads meanwhile the car was making all sorts of grinding buzzing noises and wouldn’t stop . So I disconnected a battery terminal so it didn’t cause any damage while I got the jump leads. When I got back it started fine and works drives all ok however I still have the red electric steering wheel fault light on constantly can this be reset myself? I am assuming the car recorded this when there wasn’t enough power to unlock it but needs to be manually reset.
Any thoughts info would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks.

Yup, the battery ran dead completely and the car's ECU systems now need to be reset by a dealer as the lack of power has caused the car to throw a hissy fit. Very quick job to resolve
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 02:42 AM   #3
335ier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Cheers for the reply

Thought so ARSE!!! More time I have to find. Does this mean that you cannot charge the battery??? Or could you leave the battery connected & charge from the jump-start points?

Comedy thing is for a frecking clever car there was no warning or message to tell me the battery was flat it just used it remaining power to do stuff it couldn’t complete!!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 05:08 PM   #4
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ier View Post
Cheers for the reply

Thought so ARSE!!! More time I have to find. Does this mean that you cannot charge the battery??? Or could you leave the battery connected & charge from the jump-start points?

Comedy thing is for a frecking clever car there was no warning or message to tell me the battery was flat it just used it remaining power to do stuff it couldn’t complete!!
You can charge the battery no problem - easiest way is to use the secondary power and earth points in the engine bay.
Appreciate 0