E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > DUI

05-09-2010, 10:57 PM   #1
MMOTION
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like you'll never drive again

DUI

Anyone have experience or can offer advice on DUI charge? A buddy of mine got caught with DUI couple months ago and is currently looking for a lawyer. He was stopped initially for speeding (which he swears he wasn't), and after he was stopped he was asked to do a breathalyzer test which he blew a little over the legal limit of 0.08.

There's not excuse for drinking and driving, however, he has a clean driving record and the poor guy told me the criminal lawyer he plans on hiring wants $10-$15K. I don't know anyone who has been charged with DUI, and I hope none of you ever get charged b/c its really a PITA.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/saf...enalties.shtml

Any advice or recommendations is appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
dpwr
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a good one

my buddy had one, but he payed I think $2g's for the lawyer and they lost... i don't think there's a point going with 10-15g's lawyer, most likely he will loose either way, they're pretty strict about stuff like that
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
da1nonly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

if he blew just a bit over the limit then that is good, those breathalyzer's aren't calibrated for individuals but for the general population so one easy arguement would be that the individual has faster alcohol breakdown (frequent drinker) - something like that, i know thats a popular defence. They'll take u to some place where they actually measure how quickly ur liver breaks down alcohol.

i'm not advocating drinking and driving, and i was lucky that when i got charged with it many many years ago i got off on a technicality...and i did learn my lesson. But when i was asking around the common lawyer rate was $5g's, and of course it went up from there depending on how long it dragged on for. The lawyer i had sucked big time so i would never recommend him - my only saving grace was that he was quick on his feet and once he noticed there was a technicality he pounced on it and got me off. I don't even think he had anything prepared.

i would go with the best lawyer i could find, getting charged with that means no more driving after that cuz its superhard to get insurance and super expensive. But of course if he's just gunna keep doing it then he should be off the road.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 01:08 PM   #4
icandie
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

... hope things work out for your friend.
08 E92 Black Sapphire 328i / Cream Beige / 6MT / Sport / L7 / OEM Aero Lip / OEM M3 Rear Spoiler / OEM Matte Black Grills / Smoked Reflectors / MTEC H8 Super White Fogs / LUX H8 / H&R Sport / Breyton Race GTS

cream on the inside, clean on the outside ... i love my bmw

Last edited by icandie; 05-10-2010 at 08:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
MMOTION
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks for all the feedback and recommendations via PM, really appreciate it guys!

I'm still waiting for contact info from a few peeps, so hopefully you guys can get back to me before the weekend! =)
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 08:21 AM   #6
duilawyer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1999 BMW 528

I am a criminal lawyer who does a lot of impaired and over 80 cases. Given your friend's low readings he could have a very strong case. 10 -15 K is definitely on the high end while for 2k you might be able to find a paralegal to help you plead guilty.

The consequences of being convicted of a DUI offence are serious and expensive (not including legal fees at least $20K). Your friend should definitely look into hiring a lawyer to take the case to trial. Drinking and Driving is a highly litigated and technical area of law and there are many possible defences.

You can PM me if you require further details.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 08:46 AM   #7
MMOTION
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by duilawyer View Post
I am a criminal lawyer who does a lot of impaired and over 80 cases. Given your friend's low readings he could have a very strong case. 10 -15 K is definitely on the high end while for 2k you might be able to find a paralegal to help you plead guilty.

The consequences of being convicted of a DUI offence are serious and expensive (not including legal fees at least $20K). Your friend should definitely look into hiring a lawyer to take the case to trial. Drinking and Driving is a highly litigated and technical area of law and there are many possible defences.

You can PM me if you require further details.
Please send me your contact info via PM as i cannot send you one.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 03:10 PM   #8
duilawyer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1999 BMW 528

It looks like I cannot pm you either for some reason. You can me at 416-878-8081

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 09:50 PM   #9
zuluZero
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 330i sport BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMOTION View Post
Anyone have experience or can offer advice on DUI charge? A buddy of mine got caught with DUI couple months ago and is currently looking for a lawyer. He was stopped initially for speeding (which he swears he wasn't), and after he was stopped he was asked to do a breathalyzer test which he blew a little over the legal limit of 0.08.

There's not excuse for drinking and driving, however, he has a clean driving record and the poor guy told me the criminal lawyer he plans on hiring wants $10-$15K. I don't know anyone who has been charged with DUI, and I hope none of you ever get charged b/c its really a PITA.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/saf...enalties.shtml

Any advice or recommendations is appreciated!
Don't they have to take a more accurate blood test if you blow over 0.08?
      05-11-2010, 09:56 PM   #10
T i h o r
n00b
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by duilawyer View Post
It looks like I cannot pm you either for some reason. You can me at 416-878-8081

Cheers
Does anybody else find it odd that this individual just so happened to join today, the day somebody needs legal advice - and then too has a name like "duilawyer"?

Imjustsayin..
      05-11-2010, 10:05 PM   #11
Rome
:))))))
Germany
Rep
Drives: reckless

friend just got charged with DUI, lawyer is costing him 10 grand..

2007 BMW 328i -
Appreciate 0