E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Gas bolier service contracts

05-11-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Gas bolier service contracts

Help needed please you knowledgeble lot. I know my bolier hasnt been serviced for 2 years, so thinking of going for one of them montlhy deals where they service it once a year, and fix it if it goes wrong.

So who do you use, how much does it cost, and is it any good?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
Help needed please you knowledgeble lot. I know my bolier hasnt been serviced for 2 years, so thinking of going for one of them montlhy deals where they service it once a year, and fix it if it goes wrong.

So who do you use, how much does it cost, and is it any good?
I use British Gas, £21 a month.

Has paid for itself many times over, as I've two replacement boards in my boiler.

I kicked myself in January when I paid a plummer £200 to fix two leaking valves and realised afterwards it was covered by the BG contract.
      05-11-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
mikeysix
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F30 318d m sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
I use British Gas, £21 a month.

Has paid for itself many times over, as I've two replacement boards in my boiler.

I kicked myself in January when I paid a plummer £200 to fix two leaking valves and realised afterwards it was covered by the BG contract.
I happen to be an engineer for the above. Am in no way promoting them on here, I have to do that everyday! But it is a good cover plan. U mite never call us out but if u do we get it fixed! Even got my old man on it, because even though I can repair his system the price of parts far outweighs what you pay for a contract. And like ed says if u need pcbs they can be 200 quid a shot.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Get an oil boiler, far more efficient and reliable!
      05-11-2010, 04:45 PM   #5
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

I took one out earlier this year. I was going to take the British Gas option, but as my boiler was banjaxed at the time (it kept tripping out) I couldn't; the BG service contract forbids you from claiming for the first (from memory) 45 days.

I ended up going with heat team or heat force (something like that) who are directly linked to the manufacturer (Potterton). They did a fixed price repair included in the service contract as well as any other fixes required during the 12 months.

Costs £28/month ish.

Will switch to BG at the end of this year.

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
I am interested that the majority of posts seem to approve of service contracts on boilers.

I had always assumed that these schemes were a bit like the water company schemes - you know the ones that scare you about the massive cost if you suffered a burst water pipe between the branch in the street and where it enters your home - through freezing, because this section of pipe is the responsibility of the home owner - and they don't mention that Building Regulations require these pipes to be run at a depth beneath ground which, in this country, doesn't ever freeze.

Statistically, some of us will get our money back on the price of repairs - but most of us won't. I'm an extreme example perhaps but when I moved into my current house 24 years ago, I didn't take out boiler insurance - 'cos that's what it is in reality. In that time, at current prices, I have not spent £6,000 on service contracts. In that time, I have spent £60 on boiler repairs - 3 Nr thermo couples.

I understand that modern boilers, whilst efficient, are made of papier mache and last about five years if you're lucky so perhaps the service contract is an essential but, since British Gas won't entertain a service contract on mine because it's too old, what happens to the service when your boiler gets old and becomes a real money pit for the service provider?

It's a horrendous price for what you get, IMO, and just another way of extracting cash from Joe Public - but hey, we all bought BMWs so we can't really talk.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 02:16 AM   #7
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
what happens to the service when your boiler gets old and becomes a real money pit for the service provider?
At some point BG will argue that a boiler is 'beyond economic repair' and quote you for a new one.

Has to be really old and screwed though. Mine is about 10 years old and I have had BG cover for 5 years.

Costs me about £250 a year, which includes a service that would probably cost £70 with a local guy.

So I've paying £180 for free repairs. This year I've had a new gas valve, new timeclock, new wiring to the fan and a repair of a loose control wire to the 3 port valve. Essentially, various attempts to locate and repair a difficult to diagnose intermittent fault.

Over 5 years I have had 3 new circuit boards (Potterton boilers are known for this), which would be around £150 each fitted. I've also had 2 leaking radiator valves replaces and a new ball valve in the overflow tank.

Overall, the BG cover has just about broken even for me. But the service has gone downhill of late. They have merged with dyno-rod for plumbing and the dyno guys are hopeless, they also cut back on overtime over Christmas which left lots of people in the lurch.

I wouldn't recommend the extras like drain or electric cover - they are pretty much worthless. But the basic BG package is actually a pretty decent deal, unless you have a good local gas fitter that you trust.

The problem with good tradesman is that they tend to be busy, so getting them out within 24 hours is tricky. That's the point of the BG cover, not trying to break even on the costs.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 03:43 AM   #8
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and E92 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
I am interested that the majority of posts seem to approve of service contracts on boilers.

I had always assumed that these schemes were a bit like the water company schemes - you know the ones that scare you about the massive cost if you suffered a burst water pipe between the branch in the street and where it enters your home - through freezing, because this section of pipe is the responsibility of the home owner - and they don't mention that Building Regulations require these pipes to be run at a depth beneath ground which, in this country, doesn't ever freeze.

Statistically, some of us will get our money back on the price of repairs - but most of us won't. I'm an extreme example perhaps but when I moved into my current house 24 years ago, I didn't take out boiler insurance - 'cos that's what it is in reality. In that time, at current prices, I have not spent £6,000 on service contracts. In that time, I have spent £60 on boiler repairs - 3 Nr thermo couples.

I understand that modern boilers, whilst efficient, are made of papier mache and last about five years if you're lucky so perhaps the service contract is an essential but, since British Gas won't entertain a service contract on mine because it's too old, what happens to the service when your boiler gets old and becomes a real money pit for the service provider?

It's a horrendous price for what you get, IMO, and just another way of extracting cash from Joe Public - but hey, we all bought BMWs so we can't really talk.
+1000
      05-12-2010, 03:49 AM   #9
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
We too took out the BG cover but we took the one that carries a £50 excess. Coincidentally, this costs £50 a year less.

So if I don't claim, I am better off, if I do claim then I am no worse off.

But whilst I am paying £12.50 a month for this, that price also includes an annual service which I am guessing would have cost £40+ on it's own so the cover itself stands me at around £100 per year.

I am happy with the whole concept of extended warranties and service plans but to me it's all about value for money.

By example, a few years back I bought a 50" plasma TV. Because of the sheer cost, I actively looked at the cost of a 5 year warranty to go with it.

Currys wanted £600 for the warranty (the TV cost £1500). No thanks

The place I bought it from wanted £100 for a 5 year warranty. To me that offered good value so I bought it.

So with my boiler (and this is the only thing in my house that does have a service contract), I would be lost without it and know that:

1. They do break down
2. They can be expensive when they do
3. I need to service it anyway

So for £12.50 a month, I am happy to sign up.

If it was double that however I would think twice.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 07:03 AM   #10
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
slightly off topic, but when buying a new boiler, would the company be able to do some plumbing stuff aswell? I think my shower pump/ power shower is not working...

Anyone knows a reliable plumber in the london area?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 07:54 AM   #11
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

But whilst I am paying £12.50 a month for this, that price also includes an annual service which I am guessing would have cost £40+ on it's own so the cover itself stands me at around £100 per year.

We pay c£70 for a plumber to service it once a year. It takes him about 3/4 of an hour. Not many plumbers will get out of bed for £40.

Jeff
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 01:19 PM   #12
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by m@rk View Post
We too took out the BG cover but we took the one that carries a £50 excess. Coincidentally, this costs £50 a year less.

So if I don't claim, I am better off, if I do claim then I am no worse off.

I am happy with the whole concept of extended warranties and service plans but to me it's all about value for money.

By example, a few years back I bought a 50" plasma TV. Because of the sheer cost, I actively looked at the cost of a 5 year warranty to go with it.

Currys wanted £600 for the warranty (the TV cost £1500). No thanks

The place I bought it from wanted £100 for a 5 year warranty. To me that offered good value so I bought it.

So with my boiler (and this is the only thing in my house that does have a service contract), I would be lost without it and know that:

1. They do break down
2. They can be expensive when they do
3. I need to service it anyway

So for £12.50 a month, I am happy to sign up.

If it was double that however I would think twice.
Previous boiler never serviced and never broke down. Change the pump once myself. Got a new combi boiler and paying the same contract. Figured its worth it for the annual service and the new ones are more complicated therefore much more to go wrong.

ZLTM, best to get an independant to fix it. BG charge the most for a boiler install follwed by the manufacturer then the indies. Had mine done 18months ago and it works great. With a combi you work off mains pressure and don't need a shower pump.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 02:49 PM   #13
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Thanks chaps, general consensus seems to be they are worth it. Will do some more research
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #14
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris330D View Post
Previous boiler never serviced and never broke down. Change the pump once myself. Got a new combi boiler and paying the same contract. Figured its worth it for the annual service and the new ones are more complicated therefore much more to go wrong.

ZLTM, best to get an independant to fix it. BG charge the most for a boiler install follwed by the manufacturer then the indies. Had mine done 18months ago and it works great. With a combi you work off mains pressure and don't need a shower pump.

Thanks for the advice mate! ...Think I'll look into gettin a combi!!! ...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2010, 01:55 AM   #15
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
Thanks for the advice mate! ...Think I'll look into gettin a combi!!! ...
Combi's are not necessarily a good thing. They are popular, because they save space, but there are downsides.

Complicated, so more likely to break down. If they do go then you lose hot water AND heating at the same time. They are also very pressure dependant, so they may not be ideal for families (kid flushes the lav = freezing cold water in the shower = not good).

The best option for a new boiler seems to be a Worcester Bosch condensing job.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2010, 11:36 AM   #16
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Good thread this; I must sort something out re:boiler insurance & service contract, something I've been meaning to do for ages.

Always viewed them as a bit of a ripoff, perhaps not!
      05-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #17
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
Combi's are not necessarily a good thing. They are popular, because they save space, but there are downsides.

Complicated, so more likely to break down. If they do go then you lose hot water AND heating at the same time. They are also very pressure dependant, so they may not be ideal for families (kid flushes the lav = freezing cold water in the shower = not good).

The best option for a new boiler seems to be a Worcester Bosch condensing job.
hmm ...good point...my central heating is electric...just a normal boiler wud do then i suppose...i got no idea of how these things work...

but my water pressure is fine and i live in a small flat...so i guess water pressure isn't a problem...

cheers...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #18
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris330D View Post
With a combi you work off mains pressure and don't need a shower pump.
This can be the same with none combi boilers to.

We have a Glowworm condensing boiler (I think most new houses get this type these days) and a really weird looking hot water tank upstairs and our shower can blow my hair off (what is left of it).

Apparently the condensing boilers are the most efficient however combi boilers are the cheapest to buy and install (as there is no hot water tank to think about)
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2010, 03:17 PM   #19
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

I agree you need good water pressure but I have a 4 bed detached house with two teenage daughters and it does not matter what is on. You need to check the rating for the boiler as the litres/min varies a lot depending on the model. We have a Vaillant Eco combi and it has been faultless. Early combis were unreliable but they are a lot better now. Regarding heating on all systems no lectric = no heating. We have a stand alon gas fire in the lounge so not a problem
Appreciate 0