E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > The Police hand-held speed gun

05-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #1
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
The Police hand-held speed gun

I was always sure, that if your ''lasered'' by one of these things, and are travelling over the speed limit the police man must come along and pull you over to issue a ticket?!

This is correct yes? You know the types, un-marked car... parked in a dangerous position in a hedge with a driver siting in it and his doughnut eating mate standing there with a gun!

Your views?
      05-15-2010, 08:19 AM   #2
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
These are the words from a guilty man.

Your ass will be twitching for the next 14 days or so for the NIP to arrive, I'll bet!
      05-15-2010, 08:20 AM   #3
jimmylimmy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 'charged VXR8

nope, fine issued in post as per all scamera traps
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Chasing after you is so 90's Carl baby!
      05-15-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Well we will wait and see, Im not 100% convinced. It was a small hand held gun, Now why invest all that money in vans and the ''MASSIVE CAMERAS'' in them when a small hand held device can take a picture etc.

Ive been pulled by a hand held device in 2005 and they pulled me over ETC.

So that small thing can take a photo, I thought it was just a laser projected speed detector.
      05-15-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
Walesy
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day Hmmmmmm
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 MSport

They must stop you and issue you with a ticket there and then as they have no photographic/concrete evidence that you were actually speeding on that road at the time on that day. Providing it is a conventional speed gun and doesnt take pic's or has a film in it we are talking about here..I dont recall ever seeing anything like that.
      05-15-2010, 12:30 PM   #7
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
sometimes they send you a letter saying you were caught over the limit and may have to go and do a driving course thingy, my cousin was caught with a handheld laser few months ago and they went to his house one evening and told him he had to do a course
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
Walesy
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbirch View Post
sometimes they send you a letter saying you were caught over the limit and may have to go and do a driving course thingy, my cousin was caught with a handheld laser few months ago and they went to his house one evening and told him he had to do a course
how can they prove that though, thats where I am lost
      05-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #9
ibanezking
Weekend Rockstar
England
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I would say all they had was a speed detector - to enable the copper to know what speed you were doing and pull you over........... and do you!

A small hand held device like that would be no good for capturing your number plate
Surely it would need a screen on it so they know what they're taking a pic of............... the ability to zoom and a hand held would probably be a bit shaky and not get a good clear image of the plate...........

Hence why the ones in backs of vans are fixed and WILL get a good clear image.

Having said that ANPR technology can pick up plates on the move - but presumably they are also "fixed" and steady in the patrol car........
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #10
ibanezking
Weekend Rockstar
England
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Also................

Soke with a back of van on Motorway bridge type guy last year and he said that system is totally down to human input/error............

He's sat in back of van, havin a brew, doing crossword and he has to watch the road - if he sees a vehicle he thinks is exceeding the speed limit he aims gun at it and pulls the trigger which marks the tape.........

Once the tape is back at HQ, someone goes through the tape looking for these marks - and once he finds one, will calculate the speed, and then the NIP is generated.

Obviously for efficiencies sake, the operators must have been told not to pull the trigger for every vehicle they suspect might be doing 71mph............ because they then need the manpower/clerical staff to sift through all these tapes and perform the paperwork that is needed for each..........

Sounds antiquated to me.......... but that was from the horses mouth..........
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 12:48 PM   #11
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walesy View Post
how can they prove that though, thats where I am lost
sometimes they do a weekend blast at it,i guess there was 2 of them
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #12
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
They gonna love you in prison Carlos!

05-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #13
Walesy
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbirch View Post
sometimes they do a weekend blast at it,i guess there was 2 of them
Still though, they have no proof/evidence of that you were speeding. I dont see it standing in court, even if there were 2 of them. They stand at the bottom of my street all the time (2 of them) and they pull them in to book them.
      05-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #14
Walesy
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
They gonna love you in prison Carlos!

LOL
      05-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #15
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

There is only one clear hard and fast true statement in this thread ....... Wills

If a cop points a laser gun at you he needs to pull you there and then. If he doesn't he has no evidence it was you, only a car and plate description. Without photo/video evidence they can only issue a caution at a later time.

A scamera can take photographic/video evidence which can be used at a later date for a NIP. If you claim it wasn't you you must name the driver. You can also ask for photo/video evidence. If no clear picture it was you then ........!!

Also the Tories have declared a ceasefire on the war against the motorist. We'll see!!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 07:46 PM   #16
rabble
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e93 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera RSR View Post
There is only one clear hard and fast true statement in this thread ....... Wills

If a cop points a laser gun at you he needs to pull you there and then. If he doesn't he has no evidence it was you, only a car and plate description. Without photo/video evidence they can only issue a caution at a later time.

A scamera can take photographic/video evidence which can be used at a later date for a NIP. If you claim it wasn't you you must name the driver. You can also ask for photo/video evidence. If no clear picture it was you then ........!!

Also the Tories have declared a ceasefire on the war against the motorist. We'll see!!
That used to be true a long time ago, now they claim that 'as owner of the car, you should know whos driving it otherwise your liable' or somthing along those lines. thats happend to people around me for awile now and same response everytime.
You can request photo/video evidence (as you always should) but to them its enough if they got your speed and clear number plate (they dont need to see whos driving).

About the gun thing, im not entirely sure they have to pull you over as ive had a NIP thru post via a similar situation. If you do get a NIP within 14 days, send me a PM and ill give you a few tips at which hopefully with lots of luck, you may get out of it.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 06:57 AM   #17
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

My point was that without clear evidence of who was driving we could assume your wife or mate was the culprit!!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 09:08 AM   #18
rabble
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e93 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera RSR View Post
My point was that without clear evidence of who was driving we could assume your wife or mate was the culprit!!
oh right, my bad. I thought you meant you could get away with it if they dont provide photo evidence of whos driving it

But yeah, your right
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 03:16 PM   #19
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walesy View Post
Still though, they have no proof/evidence of that you were speeding. I dont see it standing in court, even if there were 2 of them.
It will

You only need the evidence, and one way to corroborate it.
The approved laser handheld speed detection device provides the evidence.
The trained and experienced Police officer holding it corroborates its evidence.

Thats all that is needed, and speeding is a summary offence.

If they choose to stop you (rather than report for process - 14day NIP etc) its probably best practice and local guidence.
If you are stopped it also leaves a maximum of six months before its unwise to try and prosecute you - and thats a LONG wait.
Such 'traps' are often in urban areas (at the request of residents maybe) and near schools etc, and stopping the offender gives a chance to reinforce the rationale behind the stop operation.

HTH,
S.

Last edited by m1bjr; 05-16-2010 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 03:29 PM   #20
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1bjr View Post
It will

You only need the evidence, and one way to corroborate it.
The approved laser handheld speed detection device provides the evidence.
The trained and experienced Police officer holding it corroborates its evidence.

Thats all that is needed, and speeding is a summary offence.
S.
+1 sort of

In the eyes of the law copper are the experts.

The Law dictates that they must have already judged you to be speeding before they zap you.

The laser gun (or any other speed measuring device) simply backs up their trained opinion. The speed gun is not the evidence. The coppers statement is the only evidence required for prosecution. So they can stop you or just report you for the offence, whichever is easier for them at the time. They don't even need a device, they can just report you on eyesight estimate.

Photo speed cameras are required, aside from making things easier to document and check later, because to they are staffed mainly by civilian operators who are not proper copppers and therefore are not endowed with these powers of judgement by law.

Last edited by doughboy; 05-16-2010 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 03:46 PM   #21
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
So Should I have been tugged and as I wasnt then Im clear? Or potentially a NIP is on the way? (Fackin Hope Not)
      05-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #22
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
So Should I have been tugged and as I wasnt then Im clear? Or potentially a NIP is on the way? (Fackin Hope Not)
You're gonna get tugged in the slammer mate.