E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Undecided about what Intake to get for the 2010 E90 335i

05-21-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
decaso335
GodSpeed 335
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i Sedan Black on B

Undecided about what Intake to get for the 2010 E90 335i

I cant decide whether to spend the money and go with the Injen Dual-Cone Intake or go with another brand which is cheaper.

I am basically looking for the best intake which will improve performance as well as make the Turbo scream louder.

What do you fellow Bimmer drivers recommend?

2010 335i E90 LCI | N54 Inline 6 Engine | BMS Intake | Black Matte Grills | i-Drive | Navigation
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Ijen, AFE etc...

Theres a section for Intake if you didnt know that
      05-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
hjernazian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

I have the aFe DCI stage 2 with air scoops. I'm really happy with it and would suggest it over the Injen.
      05-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
decaso335
GodSpeed 335
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i Sedan Black on B

Just acquired the BMS DCI Intake

Thanks for the feedback, just ordered the BMS on www.jlevistreetwerks.com for $139.00 with the promotional code of FIVEPERCENT I got $9.00 off.

It came down to the price and also all reviews show that the BMS is the loudest and really expresses the Turbo's sound every shift.

Injen is also a great product, but due to the pricing and SPECS....

BMS was right next to it.

Thanks again guys

2010 335i E90 LCI | N54 Inline 6 Engine | BMS Intake | Black Matte Grills | i-Drive | Navigation
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 03:54 AM   #5
hjernazian
Lieutenant
Rep

well, if you wanted the loudest intake, the title of the thread should have been "loudest" not "best". the afe i have is not the loudest, that's why i bought it. you can definitely hear the woosh, but the performance gains are far greater than the BMS, but then again, it costs 3 times as much lol. i didn't want the sound to overpower the car. anyway, enjoy man, wish you the best!
      05-25-2010, 04:08 AM   #6
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjernazian View Post
well, if you wanted the loudest intake, the title of the thread should have been "loudest" not "best". the afe i have is not the loudest, that's why i bought it. you can definitely hear the woosh, but the performance gains are far greater than the BMS, but then again, it costs 3 times as much lol. i didn't want the sound to overpower the car. anyway, enjoy man, wish you the best!
Are you sure the intake has "far greater" performance benefits over the BMS intake? I was under the impression that all the dual cone intakes provide around the same amount of power.

If you could link me to the test or dyno where you saw that I would appreciate it.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 04:39 AM   #7
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
AFEs horsepower claims have been proven to be complete fabrications. With the AFE, we have seen loses of power to small gains in power. There has never once been a single person to replicate the gains AFE claims and that is shady in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 07:08 AM   #8
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
lol as long as you think the AFE provides better gains - in reality its probably the same as any DCI if not worse
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 07:40 AM   #9
a32guy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 335i

There's a new intake on the block-- will post about it soon.
      05-25-2010, 08:01 AM   #10
mwahlert
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

my personal favorite is the Ultimate Racing CAI. best looking by far in my opinion.

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 05:04 AM   #11
hjernazian
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
AFEs horsepower claims have been proven to be complete fabrications. With the AFE, we have seen loses of power to small gains in power. There has never once been a single person to replicate the gains AFE claims and that is shady in my opinion.
i haven't dyno'd the car nor do i have "facts" to back up my statement. with that said, I had the BMS intake and although impressed, wasn't amazed. I got the aFe because I bought it off a friend that was giving up his 335 and wanted to get rid of it. So it ended up costing me about what the BMS costs. With the aFe my car just feels significantly faster than with the BMS. Like I said, I don't know about verified dyno results, but the car feels faster, and if aFe's claims are false then someone should go after them for a class action suit. Keep in mind that things like temperature matter, it is not a tune. Why I liked it is because it had a heat shield keeping a maximum amount of hot air out, and the front mounted air scoops channel air into the intake system more fluidly.
      05-27-2010, 07:10 AM   #12
D.B.S
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 35i / '13 S5

As I have stated, and others have stated in the past... And looking at most people's SIG blocks in this thread..

An intake won't do anything for you as far as performance goes, unless you have a TUNE... The stock intake is good up until about 375-400hp, after that it becomes a bottleneck...

TO the OP... Unless your running a tune your not doing much in the way of increasing your performance... If your doing it just for sound purposes, you may be actually loosing performance, but to each their own...

BMW X5 35i: Boopie Exhaust & Intercooler, K&N Drop in Filter, JB3 (3+ psi)
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T: CAI, Catch Can, Custom Exhaust, Headers, 87MM Throttle Body, Diablo Custom 93 OCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 07:25 AM   #13
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
i haven't dyno'd the car nor do i have "facts" to back up my statement. with that said, I had the BMS intake and although impressed, wasn't amazed. I got the aFe because I bought it off a friend that was giving up his 335 and wanted to get rid of it. So it ended up costing me about what the BMS costs. With the aFe my car just feels significantly faster than with the BMS. Like I said, I don't know about verified dyno results, but the car feels faster, and if aFe's claims are false then someone should go after them for a class action suit. Keep in mind that things like temperature matter, it is not a tune. Why I liked it is because it had a heat shield keeping a maximum amount of hot air out, and the front mounted air scoops channel air into the intake system more fluidly.
The heat shield is closing off ~30% of the filters. The heat shield is sitting on top of the engine where the most heat is put off. It has to be hurt by heat transfer through conduction worse than any intake on the market. I am not saying it isn't sufficient, but DCIs are DCIs in my opinion. CAIs serve a different purpose, but a DCI is a DCI in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 08:00 AM   #14
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

Like most others have said, a DCI is basically a DCI. The only thing that might get "significantly" more power is a CAI (preferably one that scoops air from the ground) and then you'll probably only get an extra 7hp (which is significant in intake numbers. On top of that you'll have to worry about water being sucked into the engine, etc.
Appreciate 0