E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Whats your views on Blue (ish) smoke???

05-26-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
Walesy
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day Hmmmmmm
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 MSport

Whats your views on Blue (ish) smoke???

I did a search for this and have looked on various forums and the difference in opinion is vast. My car is the 320d (163) without a DPF and just prior to 29k miles. In the morning when first started a blue ish puff of smoke comes out the exhaust for about 2-3 seconds and disapears, car does not do it again till next morning and blows clear when reved.
Being my first denzil I am unsure, usually with petrol cars it's more of an oil burning problem (the blue smoke).
Now the car does not appear to be using oil, just normal tops ups as required.

What I have read is the followng:
1. It's normal as it is unburnt diesel in the cylinder from previous drive (usually night before)
2. Loose valve steam oil seal (I dont think it is this)
3. Turbo passing oil slightly
4. Glow plug problem.

Whats your thoughts guys??

Thanks in advance for any info!
      05-26-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
tbh i think its normal, my car is remapped, when we had the cold snap i got it on every start up but like you said cleared in seconds, if last alot longer then i would be worried,i have 46k on i followed a few audis and there are alot worst when even following them
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #3
Walesy
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbirch View Post
tbh i think its normal, my car is remapped, when we had the cold snap i got it on every start up but like you said cleared in seconds, if last alot longer then i would be worried,i have 46k on i followed a few audis and there are alot worst when even following them
Yeah sen them do it to actually, I am glad some one else has it and not just me.

Thanks.
      05-26-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport

I've had it once or twice but its been few and far between and not something I was ever concerned about.

Doubt its glow plugs as I had two blown plugs and ran through the cold winter we had and got no blue smoke at all. Granted when the snow fell my car didn't move for weeks....
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 06:49 AM   #5
Walesy
Scotland
Rep

Well, I amwaiting on the dealers response. The car is out of warranty soon and I want to make sure it is ok prior to ending. Just got a bit concerned as i have never noticed this before.
      05-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Dark blue smoke could be oil smoke, blue/white would indicate glow plugs, blue as you describe would indicate residue/unburnt diesel.

Does the car do it if you've given it a good thrashing or long run or does it happen after short runs?

The fact it doesn't do it after a couple of seconds doesn't sound like a problem, but understand your way of thinking re. the warranty.

See what the dealer says.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
jvowles
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330D MSport E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Dark blue smoke could be oil smoke, blue/white would indicate glow plugs, blue as you describe would indicate residue/unburnt diesel.

Does the car do it if you've given it a good thrashing or long run or does it happen after short runs?

The fact it doesn't do it after a couple of seconds doesn't sound like a problem, but understand your way of thinking re. the warranty.

+1
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 03:47 PM   #8
Walesy
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post

Only in the morning when the car has been parked up since 5pm (or 7pm on my time sheet LOL). Just a blue ish puff and then nothing.

See what BMW say, they want the regional tech guy to comment on it and thats been since Febuary
      05-28-2010, 02:00 AM   #9
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walesy View Post
The car is out of warranty soon and I want to make sure it is ok prior to ending.
Why not extend it?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #10
Walesy
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
Why not extend it?
TBH, the dealers have not been very good at all up here any time I take it in so I dont have confidence in them unfortunatley.