E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Carbon Buildup Discussion

06-18-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Carbon Buildup Discussion

I know this has been discussed here and there, but I thought it would be helpful to get everyones input on one thread on this serious issue, especially for guys with higher mileage cars.

I have seen this product

http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html

Some guys use sea foam, but was curious if other folks have had their intake valves cleaned? I personally know one person who had misfire issues at around 25k miles and the dealer cleaned all his valves.

I know these are on Audis, but could be a good resource for us too, since their motors are DI as well:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-up-Megathread

Last edited by joec500; 06-18-2010 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Some of those links contain images of carbon build up levels that are super concerning. Yesterday, I was working under the car and I noticed that the intercooler connection at the hot side was leaking with oil, but nothing on the cooler side.

It is most definite that a quality oil catch can is an absolute must for the new engines. It also seems that a good intercooler acts as a stop or a catch can on its own. Unfortunately, that most definitely leads to carbon buildup inside the intercooler as well and it will require frequent cleaning.

There was a thread back in the VW technical forums about the proper procedure and the frequency of cleaning an intercooler. Some users have reported that on the VW/AUDI 2.0 TFSI engine, the intercooler gets completely coated in oil in just one month of spirited driving (no racing) after a clean up with degreasers.

Another subject that I wanted to touch on was fuel and other additives that help clean injectors and intake parts. Most fuel injector cleaners and products like sea foam have the tendency to degrade the quality of the oil significantly. It seems that the general consensus about using such products is that those should be used in the last tank of gas prior to doing an oil change and avoided right after an oil change.

Vasil
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Meth injection should help in the matter...Steam cleaning internally!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

My car has 40K miles. i just opened the engine because of a failure.
All the exhaust valves were quite dirty and did not seal well. Also lot of play on those. These leads to a head rebuild but the intake valves were spotless . i have been using meth for about 3K miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
All the exhaust valves were quite dirty and did not seal well. Also lot of play on those. These leads to a head rebuild but the intake valves were spotless . i have been using meth for about 3K miles.
Interesting, I thought it was the intake side we needed to be concerned about. Hmmm maybe I should run Meth just to keep my valves cleaned.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 05:23 PM   #6
shifterboy45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
Some of those links contain images of carbon build up levels that are super concerning. Yesterday, I was working under the car and I noticed that the intercooler connection at the hot side was leaking with oil, but nothing on the cooler side.

It is most definite that a quality oil catch can is an absolute must for the new engines. It also seems that a good intercooler acts as a stop or a catch can on its own. Unfortunately, that most definitely leads to carbon buildup inside the intercooler as well and it will require frequent cleaning.

There was a thread back in the VW technical forums about the proper procedure and the frequency of cleaning an intercooler. Some users have reported that on the VW/AUDI 2.0 TFSI engine, the intercooler gets completely coated in oil in just one month of spirited driving (no racing) after a clean up with degreasers.

Another subject that I wanted to touch on was fuel and other additives that help clean injectors and intake parts. Most fuel injector cleaners and products like sea foam have the tendency to degrade the quality of the oil significantly. It seems that the general consensus about using such products is that those should be used in the last tank of gas prior to doing an oil change and avoided right after an oil change.

Vasil
i really doubt youll ever experience a problem with carbon build up in the intercooler, possbily reduce efficiency due to the oil wetting the runners in the core, and/or oil ingestion in the intake tract which would ultimately lead to some of the oil getting deposited on the intake valves -- and with the heating and cooling of the engine, turning into carbon deposit situation at the valve face and stem area.. it take a signifcant amount of heat (and the IATs) are never high enough to create a that type of scenario..

cheers...
caught signal 12, exiting gracefully
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
shifterboy45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
Interesting, I thought it was the intake side we needed to be concerned about. Hmmm maybe I should run Meth just to keep my valves cleaned.
any type of water/meth vapor will wipe the intakes clean...

we used to do a "carbon treatment" back in the late 70's, early '80s which consisted of running the car up on the chassis dyno, and pouring a small amount of water in to the intake (non fuel injected car) ... you'd be suprised what would come out the tailpipe

J.C Whitney used to sell a little gadget that did it automatically -- the maker stated it would improved gas mileage and performance..

but 100% water played havoc on cars that had catalyic converters, they didnt like the radical temp changes... but since meth burns in the process its cool to use ..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 08:34 PM   #8
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shifterboy45 View Post
cheers...
caught signal 12, exiting gracefully

I'll still check for some core dumps just in case
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 10:53 PM   #9
jb's335
Big Boost Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW e92 335

I was recently bored at work and decided to pull my intake mani off to check my intake valves. Let me go ahead and say, pulling the intake manifold on this car is a piece of cake, it seriously took me less than 45 minutes from the time I started to when I was pulling the manifold off the block. I didn't pull it completely from the car because there was a block of vaccum hoses and other sensors on the bottom of the manifold I didn't feel like dealing with, but enough to get to every runner.

I have had a Riss Racing OCC on my car from about 5k miles, and I was right at 45k when I pulled the mani. The valves were not very clean, in fact they were coated with a bit of black soot, but nothing that was obstructing flow or that acutally looked like it would hinder the action of the valves. Now they were far from spotless, I still did some cleaning and shot some valve cleaner down there, but they were not as bad as I have seen from the Audi and VW people. I am sure the fact that I have had an OCC on the car for most of its life has helped, and would recommend it to anyone as a first mod to help keep maintenence in the future to a minimum.

I didn't take pics because I really didn't see anything that seemed out of the ordinary for a DI car, the valves were dirty but there were no extrusions jutting into the path of air. The valve stems themselves were relatively clean and did not have the ring of goop that I see in the pics of the 2.0T guys...
      06-18-2010, 11:19 PM   #10
rbaldwin28
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Sport Prem. White

Garage List
2007 335I  [0.00]
Looking at some of those pics this can't be something normal that is effecting all DI motors. The spark plugs are just covered in carbon but I changed my plugs my self when I put my tune on at 35,000 miles and they look nothing like those do. Also I don't understand why they just don't vent the crank case some where else. I mean shouldn't there be some way to filter that crap with a charcoal canister or some thing and then just vent to the atmosphere.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 12:25 AM   #11
R1000K3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
Good to get confirmed the intake valves stay clean with OCC and meth whichever is doing the majority of the job.

Oil leaking down worn valve steams causes carbon built up on back of valves but also in the combustion chamber and on top of pistons. This should not be the case on an engine with just 40K miles and worn sleeves also leads to bad valve sealing and burnt valve and seat faces. A longer sleeve would be more durable if possible to fit. The N54 has a number of design flaws and this reveals another one
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 01:56 AM   #12
hun77777
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG E92

no meth here yet. occasional seafoam and i am quite satisfied with the result...

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 07:01 AM   #13
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

I just use seafoam every few thousand in the vaccum line.

As well as meth @100% with a m10
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 10:11 AM   #14
el1818
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 335

that's no seaform available in my country, would carb cleaner applicable? or it does more harm than good?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 10:24 AM   #15
chuckee98
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: = )

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
It is most definite that a quality oil catch can is an absolute must for the new engines.
Would a oil catch can void the new car warranty?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 10:45 AM   #16
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckee98 View Post
I don't think so. Besides, the OCCs is one of the few mods that are VERY easy and fast to remove before a dealership visit.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 03:37 PM   #17
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

+1, it shouldnt
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 07:01 PM   #18
hun77777
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG E92

my dealer didn't care about intake, oil cooler, intercooler, or exhaust but they did mind about tune and downpipes.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 08:01 PM   #19
Mooreski
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LMB '09 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckee98 View Post
I was in for backfires on startup around 25k miles with a OCC. The service report had a note that they noticed it, but that was all. SA didn't even say anything, it was just noted in the report.
Appreciate 0