E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E91 Boot Closing Issue

07-07-2010, 06:59 AM   #1
B_o_b_o
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 320d ES Touring

E91 Boot Closing Issue

Hi there. Still loving my E91 but started to notice a minor annoyance which is steadily growing into a major irritant.

Recently, I've noticed that when I start to drive away, the sensor light comes on to signify the boot isn't shut properly. I am pretty heavy handed anyway so I always ensure it is shut before I set off.

I have to pull over and give it another go and it is making me think I shouldn't have to literally slam the damn thing like this surely. I can always tell now if it hasn't shut proper because the lights inside the boot are still lit. So I have to open & close a few times which is rather embarrassing

Has anybody else experienced this and what do you recommend? I am considering a trip to the stealers. Is this a known fault? Could it be a sensor problem although sometimes I can hear a rattle just after I set off after the warning light comes on which is making me think it is the mechansim at fault.

My warranty is up in a few months so I want this sorted sooner rather than later.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 07:16 AM   #2
2GPP
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 335i M Sport

I had the same issue.
It needed 3 trips to dealer and a new boot catch fitted. It is still not perfect but much better. I would book it in and get it fixed before the warranty is up plus the fact it is very very annoying!
      07-07-2010, 07:18 AM   #3
B_o_b_o
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GPP View Post
I had the same issue.
It needed 3 trips to dealer and a new boot catch fitted. It is still not perfect but much better. I would book it in and get it fixed before the warranty is up plus the fact it is very very annoying!
just out of interest which bits of it are still not perfect? did even a new catch not fix the problem entirely then?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

+1, I mentioned this when I took it in for some early warranty work.

The usual answer - 'can't find a problem sir'.

I just learned to shut the boot firmly by 'pushing' it closed firmly against the stops rather than 'throwing' it closed when it can bounce a little.

To save getting dirty hands I used the rear window catch /wiper pivot as a hand placement to 'push' it closed.

See if that helps, I don't have the problem anymore.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
I love it in Winter when the struts get sticky.

Twice I've almost knocked myself out bending down and tw4tting my head on the boot that should be fully raised but isn't.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Not had any issues with mine though you do need to make sure it drops from a hight. The glass is far easier to leave open and pisses me off when I see the lights still on in the back. Defo get the dealer to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #7
B_o_b_o
Private
Rep

well I've booked it in at the stealers for next week

plus I have been experimenting with the remote and I'm not overly sure what I've done but now I can shut the boot relatively easily and by easily I mean I don't have to repeatedly open and close the lid so I'll see how it goes on for the next few days....I'm thinking the 'catch' must have reset itself or something?

fingers crossed
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 03:10 AM   #8
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

I found by not slamming it from a height, but lowering it right down then a firm 'push' on the wiper arm/glass handle and hold as it closes works perfectly.

Slamming it, or letting go before it closes seems somehow to let it bounce on the catch.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #9
B_o_b_o
Private
Rep

well seems to be ok for now, think there is a definite knack to it
Appreciate 0