E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Brake Pads

07-28-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
Mike-Bracknell
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 M-Sport 320d

Brake Pads

Were Textar pads ever OEM pads for a 2007 320d M-Sport?

I ask because one of my rears is down to metal on metal after 32000 miles and the pad warning indicator hasn't been triggered.

Hence I want to work out whether a previous owner has either been cheap on a replacement, or whether Textar pads are as crap as 32000 miles would indicate.

I would favour Pagid as a replacement as I have had 100,000 miles of good use with RS14s in my old Elise, but have no idea how they work for BMWs....

Any recommendations out there?

How do the options for pads rate for fade, noise, and dust?

Cheers,
Mike.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 01:59 AM   #2
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-Bracknell View Post
Were Textar pads ever OEM pads for a 2007 320d M-Sport?

I ask because one of my rears is down to metal on metal after 32000 miles and the pad warning indicator hasn't been triggered.

Hence I want to work out whether a previous owner has either been cheap on a replacement, or whether Textar pads are as crap as 32000 miles would indicate.

I would favour Pagid as a replacement as I have had 100,000 miles of good use with RS14s in my old Elise, but have no idea how they work for BMWs....

Any recommendations out there?

How do the options for pads rate for fade, noise, and dust?

Cheers,
Mike.

Yes, some of the pads were made by Jurid or Textar. Is the wear sensor installed or was it left out or tied up out of the way?

32,000 miles for a set of rear pads is about right - remember that the BMW DSC system is pretty active and uses up the rear pads a lot quicker than most people expect.

As far as replacement pads go, the problem you'll find is that there'll be a lack o high-performancef third-party pads that fit - the 320d fitment is not considered a high priority by Pagid because most people don't track this car. However, you should contact Competition Brake Products (01748 831200) and see if they have anything suitable. Pagid RS421 is an ideal road pad, the RS29 for the track. The RS14 is a race pad and works well on the Elise as the car is so light, but on a E9x it'll be noisy and wear down the discs far too quickly (if they even are available in the 320d fitment)

EBC might have something, but I personally have not been a big fan although many others seem to get on with them ok. Definitely not the Green version as our cars are too heavy - I believe the new Red compound is the one of choice from EBC.

Other brands to look at - Ferodo DS2500 - decent road pad, but dusty

Cool Carbon - pads from the USA, but have received some very good reviews by both US and European memebers.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 06:20 AM   #3
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

I had redstuff pads on my 130i, they produced alot less dust than oem.

The oem on my 335d seem alright compared to the 130i.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
ibanezking
Weekend Rockstar
England
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i have the EBC redstuff in the front of mine.............. all OK

Did 8 laps of Oulton park on the taster track day yesterday - and they felt good..........
      07-29-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Have redstuff on the front too, as good as oem, less dusting and better feel from cold.
I had a hugely good results with Carbotech XP products, and the UK arm will make specials if you send them the old patterns.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 02:09 AM   #6
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezking View Post
i have the EBC redstuff in the front of mine.............. all OK

Did 8 laps of Oulton park on the taster track day yesterday - and they felt good..........
Max,

You still coming drifting next Sat?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 02:51 AM   #7
ibanezking
Weekend Rockstar
England
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I'm hoping too Mike.............

All dependant on kids going off to their dads............... He promised he'd have them last 3 weeks of holidays.......... which would be next Friday onwards, but his promises would be like putting Dawn French in yer kitchen and her promising not to eat anything!

I did the track day taster session on Wednesday - over too quick!

I wanted to do the full day - i phoned them last week.......... "17 places left sir"........... and i was waiting for the weather to see what it was gonna be like, and i called on monday and it was booked up! Gutted!

Will see him tonight and confirm..........

Have you booked it??

Max
      07-30-2010, 01:58 PM   #8
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Yes mate, all booked and ready!

Wife babysitting for the day so i'm DEFINITELY going!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 02:31 AM   #9
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Turns out Ferodo don't do DS2500 for the 335 fitment - they lied!

I spoke to the distributor a while back and they got back to me with 335 pad numbers, even though retailers didn't list them for the 335.

I bought them, and of course now they don't fit. Been back to the distributors who say "we wouldn't have quoted those numbers".

The retailer won't have them back either because I bought against part numbers not vehicle spec.

Doh.

I've had to go for EBC red as a backup, the car was on the ramps, suspension mid-change and brakes stripped down ready, so they nipped out and picked up some red stuff instead.

Anyone want to buy a set of DS2500?
Appreciate 0