E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Oil Change/Recall/GIAC/Dealer...

07-29-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Oil Change/Recall/GIAC/Dealer...

I brought my car to the dealer this week for it's 2nd yearly oil change under the maintenance program (also change it myself between at about every 5K miles). While I was talking with my SA when I dropped off the car she told me the car had to be reprogrammed because of a recall regarding the fuel system. The bulletin number on my invoice is 130910 if that helps anyone.

Anyhow, I was a bit bummed to hear this as I have a GIAC stage 1 tune but I wanted to get the recall work taken care of and replacing the tune is no big deal - it'll cost me $75 and a couple of hours of my time. Obviously I didn't say anything to my SA (who is fantastic BTW - but even still, I don't go bragging to her about my aftermarket stuff) about the tune and off I went in the 2011 335 loaner she gave me. It was getting close to the end of the day and she emailed to tell me the software update was still running and I wouldn't be able to pick the car up until the next day. So far, so good - I'm fine with the loaner car for another day. The next morning I get another email from her saying that the update "crashed" in the middle of the night and they'd have to start over. At this point I'm starting to get just a little nervous thinking that the tune had something to do with the update not working out but she told me it wasn't unusual for that to happen and not to worry. A couple of hours later I get another email saying they can't get the update to take and instead they're replacing the "DME". I don't exactly know what the DME is but I'm assuming it's the main computer (experts - please chime in here to confirm or educate me). And then just about another 2 hours later she emails me again saying they were able to get a new DME quickly with the software pre-installed. As such, she said the car was ready to be picked up because they didn't have to update the new DME.

So, I pick up the car and all is well except of course, my GIAC tune is gone. But, and here's the interesting part, the car really doesn't feel that much slower and in fact, when it's cold it seems to run a bit more smoothly than it did before. Before when the car was cold it would sort of buck a bit (not a lot, just a little) when I went easy on the throttle as it was warming up, but this seems to be gone now. This wasn't something the tune introduced as it did the same thing (even worse actually) than before I had the tune. But it certainly leaves me wondering, why doesn't the car feel significantly slower with the tune gone? I remember when I got the tune how dramatic the change was and now I'm really curious to see how it feels when I get it re-flashed. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
BobS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

My car took a whole two days to have the software update, the computer crashed 2 times. This was beforee i had a tune. It is very normal according to my SA. My car also felt like it ran better and had good power. Honestly I don't know what all the Lag talk is all about, i've had 3 software versions and my car feels as strong as ever. Its def. faster after the flash too, get yours flashed, it should feel nice and quick!

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

when my car was reprogramed the same thing occured. They had to reflash it many times for it to work. one time after flashing the radio stopped working... so they had to repeat it multiple times.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
Its def. faster after the flash too, get yours flashed, it should feel nice and quick!
I did have a GIAC stage 1 flash before the reprogramming, just need to get it done again. And I agree - the flash does feel fantastic!
Appreciate 0