E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Downpipes, Its been covered, but can you comment anyway?

08-07-2010, 03:02 PM   #1
F3thirty5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335 XI Coupe

Downpipes, Its been covered, but can you comment anyway?

I have a 2008 335XI Coupe. I have a Dinan S2 tune, Helix FMIC, and the AE Catless Downpipe back exhaust. The car is a daily driver.

I am thinking about the AR Catless Downpipes. I have read a lot about guys having issues with the O2 sensor codes, but it looks like the BMS fix, v3 does the trick?

I also read about some guys complaining that it stinks in the car from fumes? Not sure if that is accurate?

Lastly, some guys complained that its too loud.

What I am trying to learn from everyone who has the fully catless set-up is what are cons to doing it?

Does it cause a lot of fumes in the car?
Are there other side effects with the BMS o2 fix?
Did you throw codes and does the BMS fix truly work?
Does it get a lot louder (or would it with a catless DP back set-up now?)
Did I forget anything on the con side?

On the pro-side, the AR's got glowing reviews from everyone I read about here manufacturing wise
The power increase is great from what I read.

Hey, I appreciate your time to drop me a line and let me know what your experiences were with this.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramp View Post
I have a 2008 335XI Coupe. I have a Dinan S2 tune, Helix FMIC, and the AE Catless Downpipe back exhaust. The car is a daily driver.

I am thinking about the AR Catless Downpipes. I have read a lot about guys having issues with the O2 sensor codes, but it looks like the BMS fix, v3 does the trick?

I also read about some guys complaining that it stinks in the car from fumes? Not sure if that is accurate?

Lastly, some guys complained that its too loud.

What I am trying to learn from everyone who has the fully catless set-up is what are cons to doing it?

Does it cause a lot of fumes in the car?
Are there other side effects with the BMS o2 fix?
Did you throw codes and does the BMS fix truly work?
Does it get a lot louder (or would it with a catless DP back set-up now?)
Did I forget anything on the con side?

On the pro-side, the AR's got glowing reviews from everyone I read about here manufacturing wise
The power increase is great from what I read.

Hey, I appreciate your time to drop me a line and let me know what your experiences were with this.
The ar pipes will definitely make your car happy

As for fully catless, I have a few customers and they are happy with the setup. Its obviously louder then having cats but I like the sound as its nice and deep. There is a little bit of extra smell when the engine is cooler but I haven't noticed much smell on their cars once at operating temp, and none of them complained about smells in the cabin.

The BMS o2 sims are adjustable so should work great.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
k726
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Only thing I can comment on in terms of smell is at idle. Especially if you leave your windows down, the smell will eventually become permanent. While moving its nothing to worry about. Sorry that is all I could help with. And yes, it will be mildly louder, and you can shoot flames from your exhaust when you run really rich!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by k726 View Post
Only thing I can comment on in terms of smell is at idle. Especially if you leave your windows down, the smell will eventually become permanent. While moving its nothing to worry about. Sorry that is all I could help with. And yes, it will be mildly louder, and you can shoot flames from your exhaust when you run really rich!
ok, so how bad is the smell exactly? And can you ever smell it inside the car?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 05:43 PM   #5
Irishace
ElevenPointFive
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335

I run catless DPs with cat back and have zero fume issues.
      08-07-2010, 06:17 PM   #6
creaminz
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

If your windwos are up then you won't smell anything weird. I can smell fume when all four of my windows are down and car is in complete stop. When moving can't smell anything.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 01:13 AM   #7
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

So, has anyone seen shooting flames coming out of the fully catless 335i's ???
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 01:27 AM   #8
VPYS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

it won't shoot flames like an evo or an sti. but i have seen little sparks from my tailpipes when i had my friend rev it.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 07:35 AM   #9
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 528iT, E53 X5, E46 325xi

I'm pretty sure the Dans E93 pops some flame every now and then. He is fully catless running the EPL units and it backfired pretty loud a few times in between shifts.

Same issue with the smell. With the top and windows down, sitting at a stop light I could smell the fumes. Once I got going, it was all gone.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #10
F3thirty5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe View Post
I'm pretty sure the Dans E93 pops some flame every now and then. He is fully catless running the EPL units and it backfired pretty loud a few times in between shifts.

Same issue with the smell. With the top and windows down, sitting at a stop light I could smell the fumes. Once I got going, it was all gone.
Matt, trying to figure out if I should go with the AR's and have the whole exhaust fully catless. I am almost convinced You know I will be asking you soon to put em in! The Helix is fine....thanks! You were talking about Dan's white car I listened to that day in front of the shop right? It wasn't much louder than mine.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #11
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
AR Catless + AE Catless + BMS O2 Sim here. No smell with windows up and standing in traffic. You can definitely smell the fumes with windows down but nothing too annoying. I've not see any sparks, flames coming out of the exhaust because noone else drives my car but me...

If I am to make a recommendation: get them! You'll love it!
      08-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #12
F3thirty5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
AR Catless + AE Catless + BMS O2 Sim here. No smell with windows up and standing in traffic. You can definitely smell the fumes with windows down but nothing too annoying. I've not see any sparks, flames coming out of the exhaust because noone else drives my car but me...

If I am to make a recommendation: get them! You'll love it!
Thanks, I am pretty close to ordering them. I would have the same set-up exhaust wise. Just wondering. Did you have the AE First and then the DP's? If you did, was it much louder with the DP's?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #13
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Matt, trying to figure out if I should go with the AR's and have the whole exhaust fully catless. I am almost convinced You know I will be asking you soon to put em in! The Helix is fine....thanks! You were talking about Dan's white car I listened to that day in front of the shop right? It wasn't much louder than mine.
If you go AE exhaust and AR Dps and find it to be still too loud you can always add some resonators to the midpipes and it will quiet it down significantly...
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 09:49 PM   #14
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

I haven't done the cats.....yet. But if I were to do cats, I'd get the CPE catted DP. I have seen them in person, a thing of beauty (may not yield the most gains, but I don't care for a few extra hps), and catted because I don't want to deal with codes and such.
      08-08-2010, 10:40 PM   #15
k726
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreeE90 View Post
ok, so how bad is the smell exactly? And can you ever smell it inside the car?

It's not bad. Just might make your wife bring it up when she gets home. Only at standstill and you have to look for it. If you always have windows down at a stop you will smell it. It will go away.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 02:34 AM   #16
chudak18
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335, W463 G55

Garage List

I have ***** RR DPs and AAutowerke full exhaust. Love the sound and quickly got used to it. Prolly would be upset if I had to go back to stock. No smells what so ever. I got the CEL for O2 but can live with it. Working on fixing it. Go for it!!!!
      08-09-2010, 01:13 PM   #17
F3thirty5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
I haven't done the cats.....yet. But if I were to do cats, I'd get the CPE catted DP. I have seen them in person, a thing of beauty (may not yield the most gains, but I don't care for a few extra hps), and catted because I don't want to deal with codes and such.
I heard the CPE's are really nice. My problem is that I have an XI. I think the only catted versions for the XI are the UR's and I have decided not to go that route. I have read that they get the CEL even with the cats, and they also rust in the snowy climate (live in NY). I think my only option is to go with quality catless (like the AR's) and get the O2 fix.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #18
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Thanks, I am pretty close to ordering them. I would have the same set-up exhaust wise. Just wondering. Did you have the AE First and then the DP's? If you did, was it much louder with the DP's?
I installed them at the same time so I went from stock to full catless in 3 hours.
      08-09-2010, 01:24 PM   #19
boostd92
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M-Sport

Garage List
Our turbine housings are so frickin small, the best thing you can do for them (in terms of reversion and exhaust manifold backpressure) is to put on some CATLESS downpipes.

If you're worried about the smell, weld in some high flow cats down the line a ways (like where the stock secondaries would be).

This is especially true if you're running meth and high boost...
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 12:31 AM   #20
0shit
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7/720s/M8CGC/BroncoWildtrack

I was in the same dilemma as you. I installed catless DP's and went full catless on my exhaust. I had a white smoke situation that wouldn't go away (no BMS fix). I thought that it was just W2 that was heavily used when they did the install but after a day of my car acting like a steam train, I put the cats back in the exhaust (where the downpipe and exhaust meet). After that no issue whatsoever, although my CEL came back on so I might have to pick up the BMS fix. I was told that my PROcede would take care of the o2 simulator, guess not. Sorry I don't mean to jump on the thread but anyone else run into this issue?

DP's were the best thing next to my PROcede that I installed. After all I've gone through, no way I'm uninstalling it.

Good luck and let us know what happens!