E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > replace injector without calibrating?

08-21-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

replace injector without calibrating?

in theory, what would happen? would it throw any codes?

i have had an injector replaced before by a 3rd party, and i was not aware of the calibration required at the time. i am not sure if said 3rd party had the proper utilities to calibrate my injectors after the replacement, as according to what i read, only dealers have this.

car has been running fine for months (well, up until now... i think i may need another injector replacement, hence the thread)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 12:33 AM   #2
infbp22
Rep
Drives: E30

If the injectors are not calibrated properly you could face rough running issues and even misfires. If it worked fine for months though chances are another injector(s) are going. While yours worked fine I'd still recommend you calibrate them.

if you're going to do any work yourself, I'd pull out every spark plug and inspect for wetness from fuel to give you an idea of which ones are leaking. Also, look down into the cylinder and see if the pistons are wet with fuel.

There are a few software updates to improve the issue. It might be a good idea to spend the extra money to get a software update and injector calibration at the dealer once you have the bad injectors replaced. Very good idea.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 03:10 AM   #3
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

thank you for your help

ah, so no codes or other indicators other than the car running rough?

i got the typical semi-rough cold start for a few seconds, but other than that the car ran fine.

my current problem is rough/misfiring on cold start idle and sometimes it goes into reduced power mode (during said cold start). once the car settles to 600rpm everything is groovy, and if it is already warm, i don't have a problem after starting it up again.

hopefully it's just plugs or coil packs, but i'm preparing for the worst case scenario. as you may have guessed, i have no warranty, which is why i'm trying to figure out if it's really only dealers who have access to the calibration tool, or if i can trust some third parties to do the job.

i think i read in another thread the dealer wants $400 to calibrate the injectors. that's nuts! isn't it an automated process with their computer?
Appreciate 0