E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > will the key data stay on the the key if i get a new fob?

08-24-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
sunnydonc
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 335d black shappire

will the key data stay on the the key if i get a new fob?

hi

ive got a query which i would like an answer to.

i know the key fob store info such as seat positions, radio stations, last time key was used etc etc, but if i put the metallic key into a new fob and got it programmed what info would stay on there? or is the info stored in the actually fob and not the key part.

could anyone also confirm if any info would pass over onto the new fob if it WASNT was reprogrammed?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 11:34 AM   #2
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

The fob itself doesn't store the data AFAIK, the car stores the data and 'recalls' it by linking it with the unique ID of a key fob.

The metallic key is just for emergencies and has nothing to do with anything electronic or memory wise.

I think you will have to just reset everything when you have a new key.

Maybe if you leave the car open (having been opened with the old key) then lock it with the new key then the new key will be set for all the current preferences at that time.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 01:51 AM   #3
ghosty
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 335d se

Garage List
2008 335d SE  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Maybe if you leave the car open (having been opened with the old key) then lock it with the new key then the new key will be set for all the current preferences at that time.
good point DB, that should work per what it says in the manual
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 03:12 AM   #4
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
I thought the key did store data, in the past dealers have plugged my key into a dock thing on the service desk and read data from the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 03:27 AM   #5
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

Yeah, I think the fob must store it.

If not, then the only way the dealer would know the info from the key is if the car sends data to BMW over GPRS, and the key then points the dealer to a central database at BMW.

But, I reckon, if you get a new key, the first time you use it in the car, the car will re-load all the data.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 04:26 AM   #6
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
I thought the key did store data, in the past dealers have plugged my key into a dock thing on the service desk and read data from the car.
The fob does store limited common vehicle status data, for the purposes mentioned, i.e. at the stealers.

But user preferences are stored in the car (can't remember where I read this) that's why the car can only handle up to a maximum of 4 keys of 'preferences'.

If the fobs held all the data then the car should be able to handle unlimited numbers of user preferences.

The crowded standard fob frequencies would make data transfer very slow and problematic as they are intended for only minute bursts of coded signal.

The user preferences are a lot more than a few text fields of service data. There will be all the position coordinates for seats & mirrors, air con settings, audio visual settings and all stored favourites etc. etc the list goes on.

Too much for a fob to handle (cheaply and quickly) IMO when the car already has the data to hand and plenty of hardware to handle it.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 04:29 AM   #7
sunnydonc
Rep

thanks for the reply guys.

So just to make sure, if i put the key into new fob no data will be on the new fob unless i use the fob and key in the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 04:30 AM   #8
doughboy
Major General
Rep

The 'key' has nothing to do with anything sunnydonc.

You don't need the metal key at all. All the importan stuff is in the fob..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 04:37 AM   #9
sunnydonc
Rep

sorry for my ignorance, but ive lost the fob and have got a new one and just wondered about getting it programmed or would it just work as normal.

cheers guys.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 04:41 AM   #10
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
The fob does store limited common vehicle status data, for the purposes mentioned, i.e. at the stealers.

But user preferences are stored in the car (can't remember where I read this) that's why the car can only handle up to a maximum of 4 keys of 'preferences'.

If the fobs held all the data then the car should be able to handle unlimited numbers of user preferences.

The crowded standard fob frequencies would make data transfer very slow and problematic as they are intended for only minute bursts of coded signal.

The user preferences are a lot more than a few text fields of service data. There will be all the position coordinates for seats & mirrors, air con settings, audio visual settings and all stored favourites etc. etc the list goes on.

Too much for a fob to handle (cheaply and quickly) IMO when the car already has the data to hand and plenty of hardware to handle it.
Make sense, but if the date isn't transfer from the key to the car when the open button is pressed, then things like seat position could be too far forward for a taller drivers entry.

Or are you saying, when any given fob is pressed, the car recognises the fob and starts moving things around before the door's opened?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 10:03 AM   #11
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Make sense, but if the date isn't transfer from the key to the car when the open button is pressed, then things like seat position could be too far forward for a taller drivers entry.

Or are you saying, when any given fob is pressed, the car recognises the fob and starts moving things around before the door's opened?
The fob has a unique ID.
The car knows what ID has what settings and applies them to the car.
How that is handled depends upon how you have set that up in the car.
With iDrive, you can decide in the menu if the seats move right away as soon as you press a valid keyfob, or if you wait until you pull open the door.
Mine move as soon as I blip the fob, so does my wifes as its almost certain that I will wish to drive it
Appreciate 0