E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Need help want a wavetrac.

08-26-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
335ier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Need help want a wavetrac.

Hi everyone,

Done a search but cant find anything. Its time for me to get a limited slip diff, on my search I have found the yanks really rate the wavetrac.
From the information I have gathered I feel positive that this is the product I'm after. So the big question, where in the UK can I get one from? and of course fitted? I have heard good things about birds but they seem only to deal with quaife and in the last couple of years or so their prices seem to go up & up every time I look at their website.

Any input on this would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Does your car have a bolted-style diff or a welded-style diff? If it is the latter, welded, then are you sure Wavetrac have a solution? I thought their diffs were only for bolted-style variants.

There's a reason why Birds only do the Quaife - it's the original, and it's bulletproof. And there's a model that fits every single BMW variant, bolted or welded.

In reality, the prices haven't gone up - bolted diff is still £890 + VAT, same as it was two years ago. A diff for a welded crown wheel is obviously much more money, due to the amount of work needed.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 03:04 PM   #3
335ier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

The car has a build date of dec 2006 I have been told that its a bolt on they knew by the number on the windscreen. My comment about the cost from birds was the unit fitted was £1200 plus vat now the same thing is £1336 plus vat if I'm wrong about these figures the I do apologize. Even so £500 plus vat for half a days work sounds crazy steep to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 11:17 PM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ier View Post
The car has a build date of dec 2006 I have been told that its a bolt on they knew by the number on the windscreen. My comment about the cost from birds was the unit fitted was £1200 plus vat now the same thing is £1336 plus vat if I'm wrong about these figures the I do apologize. Even so £500 plus vat for half a days work sounds crazy steep to me.
You got to remember, it is a 7 hour job!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 06:17 AM   #5
atomic69
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Alpina D3 Bi-Turbo

You should be able to order one through Co-ordsport.
http://www.coordsport.com
Price List
http://www.coordsport.com/attachment...010-Retail.pdf

Had a look at one a while ago on a trip to the States and thought it was a very good upgrade to the non locking Torque Biasing type. Tried to get them to make one for the 7/7.5ich Ford Sierra diff for the kitcar market but they wanted a minimum order of 30. My only problem with the ATB type if that once you completely loose traction on on one wheel then this is obviously no driven force applied (one simple way around this is to apply the handbrake lightly and therefore applying friction so there is always some drive force). But they Wavetrac offers the best of both world in terms of a LSD, ATB daily drive-ability and the locking traction of a clutch/plate type. I am surprised Quaife have not implemented such a system as in my mind it would make their product so much better.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 10:39 AM   #6
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic69 View Post
You should be able to order one through Co-ordsport.
http://www.coordsport.com
Price List
http://www.coordsport.com/attachment...010-Retail.pdf

Had a look at one a while ago on a trip to the States and thought it was a very good upgrade to the non locking Torque Biasing type. Tried to get them to make one for the 7/7.5ich Ford Sierra diff for the kitcar market but they wanted a minimum order of 30. My only problem with the ATB type if that once you completely loose traction on on one wheel then this is obviously no driven force applied (one simple way around this is to apply the handbrake lightly and therefore applying friction so there is always some drive force). But they Wavetrac offers the best of both world in terms of a LSD, ATB daily drive-ability and the locking traction of a clutch/plate type. I am surprised Quaife have not implemented such a system as in my mind it would make their product so much better.
How often do you really go one wheel off the ground, really?

The truth is(we have tried both) Wavetrac doesn't work much better when one wheel is off of the ground, the inside tires still spins. At the end Wavetrac may need a rebuild where the Quaife will continue to work as designed.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
atomic69
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
How often do you really go one wheel off the ground, really?

The truth is(we have tried both) Wavetrac doesn't work much better when one wheel is off of the ground, the inside tires still spins. At the end Wavetrac may need a rebuild where the Quaife will continue to work as designed.
Me..more than you would believe, track time aside, every time a reverse my car up my road and onto my drive may I lift a wheel off the ground. Now that's not normally a problem until ground conditions become an issue (snow/ice etc and as my house due to is geography doesn't see sun for 3months of the year it can become a RPITA) where as I am unable to carry enough momentum to over come the three angle changes involved.

Last edited by atomic69; 10-26-2010 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Thats quite an exceptional situation there friend

I also looked at the Wavetrac for similar reasons.
But the reality is that for track work the ATB is just fine, and zero maintenance.
No issues so far, and even with low articulation at the rear (stiff bars and springs) there is no wheel lift in daily use or on a tight and bumpy circuit.
      10-26-2010, 04:14 PM   #9
atomic69
Enlisted Member
Rep

Don't misunderstand for a daily driver I think the ATB type are without doubt the best solution but I do think the ability to ultimately lock the diff would prove very useful.
Having owned several Vehicles in which locking and in-fact being able to adjust on the fly the amount of slip I have found I used it more than I initially thought I would.

Last edited by atomic69; 10-26-2010 at 04:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 12:58 PM   #10
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

One thing to consider before buying the Wavetrac is that you are potentially looking at a rebuild of the single clutch pack down the road and the increase services to rid of the clutch material from one wheel off conditions.

Wavetrac really isn't much better than the Quaife during one wheel off. Okay, maybe just a little when the Wavetrac is new, but after several one wheel off, the single clutch is done.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 03:39 PM   #11
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Interesting.

I never realised it was a short lived solution.
      10-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #12
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1bjr View Post
Interesting.

I never realised it was a short lived solution.
The clutch is a wear item.
Appreciate 0