E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Switching to Non runflat tyres

09-26-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Switching to Non runflat tyres

Apologise for starting a new thread on this, but I can't find the previous threads....

I am thinking of switching to non runflats and got some questions and advice needed....

I'm thinking of going the the Vdredestein or the Falken 452....(They are cheapish and got some good reviews on here)

But before doing this, I would need to SELL all my Bridgestone Potenza (Fronts and Rear are all newish, changed them this year and only done about 1500 miles, maybe less.....)

Where is the best place to sell them? ebay? (don't have an ebay a/c) I've never sold anything before and would appreciate if someone could give me some advice on the selling process...What about postage etc?

and also regarding insurance and warranty... Do I just call my insurance company and tell them that I've changed my tyres to non runflats? what if they start saying that I cannot do this because i'm changing "manufacturers spec" etc ...what should I say to convince them that it can be done etc?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
and, are there any other "mid range" non run flat tyres that I could go for? The Vreds are going for £100 per corner....so I would consider anythign in that price range.....nothing more than £120 per corner.....
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
335i E92
Captain
Rep
Drives: M22

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
and, are there any other "mid range" non run flat tyres that I could go for? The Vreds are going for £100 per corner....so I would consider anythign in that price range.....nothing more than £120 per corner.....
I swapped my run flats for a full set of Falken 452's. They're a great tyre and I don't think they can be beaten for the price. Completely transformed my car!!

If I can advise on one thing with them though I would step up a notch in width as for some reason they are not as wide as other tyres that are advertised as being same size. Looking at you car you have the exact same as spec as me same wheels same colour & alu trim. Nice choice!!

So I would order front 235/40/18 rear 265/35/18. Trust
e if you don't the alloy will be wider than the tyre with n wall protection. I'm sure anyone else on here who has had these Tyres will back me up!!

As for INS I called mine and told them I had changed from run flats and it was no problem at all, this was esure.

I sold my runflats on eBay, very easy to set an account up. Although it might help if you can put them on a friend account with some good feedback history. As far as posting I just advertised them as collect only and was sammped with offers. Take photos and price them right they'll fly out .

Hope this help!!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #4
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Thanks!!!...

Yes, for the fronts I intend to go for 235 as for my wheels, I used an online wheel calculator and apparently 235 are the ideal sizes...

not sure about the rears...might just keep the 255....

must decide between the falkens and vreds now....

I found the threads i was looking for...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #5
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

Just found this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bridgestone-Po...item1e5e74739e

Was at £112 with 50 mins to go when I looked - 13 bids. Suggests that you may be able to sell them OK.

As the previous poster said, you may be better getting a friend to sell them on this occasion. However, it would be in your interests to start an ebay account and learn how to buy/sell. It comes in useful. I sold a virtually new Dunlop RFT for £40 earlier this year. BMW invoiced it at £160 plus VAT, but I was glad to see the back of it. The seller was from the same county and we met up to do the hand-over.

Insurance is a bit of a red herring. Esure just didn't care. They were amazed that I was even telephoning to inform them - but it's probably safer to do this.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 03:35 PM   #6
Baby Dave
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 320d m sport

i wouldnt bother telling your ins company as you are not modding yr car,just making it safer
Ive got Vreds on mine and they are very good.
      09-26-2010, 04:01 PM   #7
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
I am thinking of switching to non runflats
About fackin' time - nothing constructive to add.
      09-27-2010, 02:31 AM   #8
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
About fackin' time - nothing constructive to add.
well, i'm still in the "thinkin about it" phase....probably will take me another 3-4 months to get it done!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 04:14 AM   #9
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Falken 452 all round going on my 19s this week.
We'll see how it rides on the Hartge Suspension (already a huge improvement over Sport)
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 04:44 AM   #10
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

use www.interparcel.co.uk for sending your tyres. You can selotape 2 tyres together and they will be under the 32kg limit and still within the size limit.

theres also www.senditnow.co.uk, again you can send 2 tyres per parcel.

All those services will collect from your door.

I have vreds on mine, can't really feel the ultimate difference vs the falken's I had on my 130i. I will cast my judgement when It comes to changing time as i found the falkens "went off abit" towards the end of their life.

There is always people wanting to buy runflats on ebay, as these retail for so much poeple always keep an eye out for a percevied bargin. If these people knew what we knew then you wouldn't ahve any customers!

You won't regret making the change
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #11
nicko44
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i E92 View Post
I swapped my run flats for a full set of Falken 452's. They're a great tyre and I don't think they can be beaten for the price. Completely transformed my car!!

If I can advise on one thing with them though I would step up a notch in width as for some reason they are not as wide as other tyres that are advertised as being same size. Looking at you car you have the exact same as spec as me same wheels same colour & alu trim. Nice choice!!

So I would order front 235/40/18 rear 265/35/18........

As for INS I called mine and told them I had changed from run flats and it was no problem at all, this was esure.
On the question of informing your insurance company, I also am with esure, and when I changed my RFT's to conventional tyres in April 2009, I called esure to check there would be no problem with them. They assured me there was absolutely no problem and they did not consider this a specification change SO LONG AS I KEPT TO EXACTLY THE SAME SIZE TYRES AS PER THE ORIGINAL BMW EQUIPMENT.
So if you go for a larger width (eg 235/40/18 vs 225/40/18) I think you should definitely inform your insurance company. I don't think there will be a problem, but it could result in a minor increase in premium.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 04:00 PM   #12
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i E92 View Post
If I can advise on one thing with them though I would step up a notch in width
as for some reason they are not as wide as other tyres that are advertised as being same size.
I agree.

Had a set fitted yesterday, 452s in 265 and 235 width.
They don't look stretched, but I think the oem size might.
Certainly you would never think they are wider.

As for performance, it's a big improvement in every respect.
Quite surprised for a 'cheap' tyre. I expected to make do over winter and end up with Conti5s by summer
They are made in Japan though, these Falkens, which surprises me.
And have a lifetime guarantee against accidental damage. For free.

I don't notice the lack of turn in 'feel' often touted here.
In fact I say its more normal, and like every other sports car I have driven.
But, I do have a bigger front bar and am running minimum toe in up front (10min total).
As with any mods, everything interacts and be prepared to make other changes to optimise things.
However, in a direct comparison between oem RFT and the Falkens up front, there is more outright grip.
There is a FAR smoother ride.
There is a much quieter ride (less road noise).
Rear traction is as good at least as far as I have been able to tell.
Full bore acceleration shows less tendency to break loose in the first place.
And feeling for grip is easier in marginal (semi-damp) conditions like today.
I love them.

Once the LSD goes on on Friday, with the bigger rear bar, then we can get the true picture.

My local tyre shop also looks after the local Police area BMWs too.
Seems they are having similar issues with edge premature wear patterns.
I can only imagine Bridgestone trying to BS the Police maintenance about incorrect pressures like they have our members eh?
And I'm sure they are using Goodyears now (definately moved away from oem Flintstones) as they still suffer but not so badly apparently.

Steve

Last edited by m1bjr; 09-29-2010 at 06:26 PM..
Appreciate 0