E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Service mileage indicator

10-04-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

Service mileage indicator

Hi

Bought the car 9500 miles ago (2 year old AUC) and since then, every time that I switch the engine on, the miles to the next service shows. When I got the car it said 10000 miles and has slowly ticked down to the 500 miles that it shows now. The car will be 3 years old in late Dec.

My questions are:

- What is this service, is it just an inspection of the car?
- Am I OK to leave things to Dec and get everything done at once - inc. MOT?
- What are the likely cost implications, both now and in Dec?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 06:44 AM   #2
Shah24
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i

Hey,

- The service could be anything but you can find that by going into the "service Info" in the control panel. It will probably be an oil service.
- It depends how much you going to drive til December
- Again need to find out what is required first and then the cost can be determined. MOT is about £50

I hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 07:24 AM   #3
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the reply.

Think that I might have sorted it. Rang the local dealer and if I put my key fob into his reader he will tell me what is required and give me a price to complete the work.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
jonsteele
Old enough to know better!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport, Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Mine's coming up to that age and was showing an oil change required - when they put the key in the reader it also needed a fuel filter, intake filter and DPF. I was expecting a quick in and out for the oil change so had to re book!
Le Mans Blue/18" Alloys/Bi Xenons/Climate Screen/Black, Heated Dakota Leather/6 CD Changer with Dension 500/Power Mirrors/M3 Lip Spoiler/Gloss Black Grills/Through Load, Storage pack, Lumbar Support, Smokers Deletion
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff123 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Think that I might have sorted it. Rang the local dealer and if I put my key fob into his reader he will tell me what is required and give me a price to complete the work.
Jeff,

It's worth walking away when you get an idea of what needs doing to your car. Assuming you have another $tealer fairly locally to you, it really is worth phoning round, as service prices vary wildly.

I am in the fortunate position of living in the middle of nowhere (figuratively speaking), so I have a "choice" of at least 5 dealers within 35 miles. For both my old E46's and my current 530d, service prices usually vary by about £80 - with the cheaper $tealer not necessarily being the same one. Had a good deal from one last year - an Oil Service for £99 + VAT (A special offer). Another local $tealer was looking for over £200 for the same thing!

If you are concerned about the quality of servicing, remember that servicing these cars is very simple, and can be carried out by monkeys (and sometimes is!!). Any "diagnostics" are carried out by plugging the car into a machine. I apologise if there are any decent Tech's reading this, I am being a little stereotypical, but this has been my experience with BMW $tealers.

HTH

Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep

Mike

Thanks, good advice.
Appreciate 0