E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Condensation in headlight

10-09-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
wza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe SE

Condensation in headlight

Hello,

I have read lots of posts on condensation on inside of headlights, I done a search before posting to see if my question has already been posted and answered, but couldn't find a suitable reply.

Due to this I have decided to make a post, so if this had already been posted, I apologise before hand happily brush up on my searching skills (I hate being told off for making posts http://www.e90post.com/forums/images/smilies/search.gif for not following forum rules, it puts me off posting again, especially as forum noob!)

Anyway, when I saw my car before buying at BMW (Coopers Colchester), it had quite a lot of condensation inside the driver side headlight. The salesman said it would be dried out for when I collect the car, which it was. I was told it would have been done by a power washer. I was aware not a sealed unit, so accepted this.

When I first cleaned my car, using a normal hose, and mainly spraying the car with out too much pressure, and not spraying directly at the headlight in question, it got condensation inside it again. This has happened every time I have cleaned it.

Yes, This dried out in a few days, quicker if lights left on for a bit, and I'm aware from other posts that you can go as far as getting a hair dryer to dry it out (which I don't want to do). However, due to just purchasing and having a year BMW AUC warranty, am thinking of taking it in.

Is this normal or is something bust? Is it something I have to get regrettably get used too when cleaning car, can dealer do anything, can I do anything????

Cheers

Wza (Martin)
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 01:14 PM   #2
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

Mine went the same way with some over zealous use of the hosepipe with the bonnet slightly open. Took it to the stealers who said that they would only replace it under warranty if it was "half full of water." They offered me a price to replace it - which I declined.

I am going back c6 months now, but I dried it out with a hairdryer and it disappeared. It came back slightly the following day, so I repeated the procedure, it fully cured it and it seems OK now.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff123 View Post
Mine went the same way with some over zealous use of the hosepipe with the bonnet slightly open. Took it to the stealers who said that they would only replace it under warranty if it was "half full of water." They offered me a price to replace it - which I declined.

I am going back c6 months now, but I dried it out with a hairdryer and it disappeared. It came back slightly the following day, so I repeated the procedure, it fully cured it and it seems OK now.
"Half full", do BMW's use special electricity that isn't water conductive - whatever next?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 05:00 PM   #4
wza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff123 View Post

That seems so wrong, if mine got water in it from normal hose use, not even the over zealous hose piping method that you employed, plus with a closed bonnet, surely driving in heavy rain will do the same. I am going to call them and see what they say, hopefully get them to replace it. I'm gunna moan otherwise as it was like it when i bought it under agreement that it would be sorted out.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #5
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

Mine is OK under normal conditions, it just condenses if I clean it - with the bonnet on the "catch" i.e. slightly open.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 07:23 AM   #6
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

A common occurrence on my previous 56 and 08 plate cars with xenons. Would go as quickly as it appeared, especially on damp days with sun shining on the lens.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 02:42 PM   #7
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Never noticed it on my beemers tbh and I always washed them using a hose pipe or pressure washer, but during the floods of 2007 my poor E90 330i had it's nearside front fog light literally submersed in water. The only way I could get rid of it was with a hair dryer.

FWIW the handbook of both Audis I've owned specifically refers to the possibility of condensation with zenon headlights. They state the condensation SHOULD disappear when the headlights are used, implying to me that if it doesn't, then something is wrong. I snow foam my cars then use a pressure washer and never had a problem with condensation.

Imo, if using the headlights doesn't remove the condensation or natural sunlight, then something is amiss?
Appreciate 0