E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Software Update Query

10-13-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
djnas123
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d

Software Update Query

Hi All.

Wonder if anyone can shine some light on something before the dealer gets back to me. My car went in today for a software update for the infamous clutch judder (its a 320d). Anyway, it seems to have fixed it for now at least but, my car is now telling me it needs the brakes changed sooner than when it went in, fronts are now in 5000 miles vs 13000 miles before and rears are now 7000 vs 12000 before.

Could the update have messed these up, or maybe made the reading more accurate?

I'm really confused as when the car when in about 2 weeks ago about the clutch issue (to investigate before the software was available) I was told that my rear pads needed changing soon, but my fronts where fine.....

I'm waiting for the dealer to call me back as I want to understand why they are now less than before.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
djnas123
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

don't know how to get rid of a thread, but dealers come back, a software glitch apparently, need to take it in again tomorrow to have the original values reset which should take an hour.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

I wonder about these 'glitches'.

And how many 'dealers' use the excuse to frig down the percentage wear on consumables thinking nobody will notice.
And I bet a most wouldn't.
Those who do get the 'sorry Sir it must be a bug - bring it back in'.
Yeah right.

Even with the Bavarian Tech tool, I can set any percentage remaining for service items, so a dealer can do the same.
As you can see, I dont trust any of them and this is one reason why.

S.
      10-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
335ier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Maybe the dealer estimated the actual mileage left on them & programmed it in?
I don't know much about the 320D but how the heck can a software update stop clutch judder?? that ones really got me.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
sabato
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ier View Post
Maybe the dealer estimated the actual mileage left on them & programmed it in?
I don't know much about the 320D but how the heck can a software update stop clutch judder?? that ones really got me.
was thinking the same thing!
surely the clutch is hydraulically operated by the clutch pedal which is controlled by your foot??
Clutch judder normally means worn clutch plates etc
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 04:59 PM   #6
leetennis
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 M Sport

The software update will change the revs at the biting point. If you raise the clutch slowly you will see them kick in on their own without you touching the accelerator.

It does help although a physical problem with the clutch/flywheel probably exists
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 03:33 AM   #7
djnas123
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for your comments, I had a new flywheel and clutch fitted about 20000 miles ago which did seem to fix the judder but only for a few months.

I've had to wait for this later software update as earlier ones only fixed the issue for a short time (there's another thread about it).

As for my brake reading, they tried changing the readings back to what they was before but they set to zero! Anyway they then changed the sensors and reset and I'm now at 7000 on the fronts and 12000 rears, can't fault the dealer for trying (was in there 2 hours). As its condition based it 'might' increase apparently when it works out how I drive as everything was cleared in the upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 05:38 AM   #8
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnas123 View Post
Thanks for your comments, I had a new flywheel and clutch fitted about 20000 miles ago which did seem to fix the judder but only for a few months.

I've had to wait for this later software update as earlier ones only fixed the issue for a short time (there's another thread about it).

As for my brake reading, they tried changing the readings back to what they was before but they set to zero! Anyway they then changed the sensors and reset and I'm now at 7000 on the fronts and 12000 rears, can't fault the dealer for trying (was in there 2 hours). As its condition based it 'might' increase apparently when it works out how I drive as everything was cleared in the upgrade.
Very slack of the techs IMO!

If you know a software flash will wipe the CBS then they bloody well ought to note all the parameters before starting work.
Hopefully they guessed more accurately when resetting the oil service marker too.

Sloppy....
      10-15-2010, 09:51 AM   #9
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnas123 View Post
Did you have them under replaced under warranty? What was the reason for them failing?
How old and how many miles on the car when they were replaced?
Ta.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 10:18 AM   #10
djnas123
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi Ant Man, clutch and flywheel where replaced last June (09) under warranty. Off the top of my head I think I was on about 28000 miles (car had 21000 when I purchased it on AUC) car was registered November 07.

When it went in they said that they needed to take the clutch out to have a look and if it was within tolerances id be charged, but luckily they said it was warped so it was replaced free of charge.

This fixed it for a few months but it was niggling from about December last year and got to full annoyance in August time this year which is why it went in again. I had to wait a while for the software to become available. So far so good. Hope this helps
Appreciate 0