E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > About to Import a US Spec '11 335xi Coupe

10-26-2010, 07:09 AM   #1
Peepers
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi & '97 Spyder GSX

About to Import a US Spec '11 335xi Coupe

Hey Guys,
I have a question about importing a US spec 2011 335xi Coupe. I've imported two cars in the past so I'm very familiar with the RIV process. I already have the "letter of recall" from the US dealership that I purcahsed the car from (the RIV does not car where/who prints it, as long as it's on company/corporate letterhead). DRL's are a simple issue that you don't need the dealer to activate, so I'm not worried about that.

My question is regarding switching the digital read outs in the cluster from miles to kms. Is that something that needs to be coded at the dealership?

Also, how many of you were "forced" to change out the whole cluster by the dealer? I know the RIV doesn't care about the cluster as it's in both miles/kms but I heard the dealer is very anal (cash grab) and force US spec cars to have the cluster changed out?

Comments?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 08:26 AM   #2
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com

Changing the digital readout (like odometer, fuel consumption etc) can all be changed yourself through the BC stalk or through the radio, or I drive (if you have it). No need to go to the dealer for that.

if your cluster only shows mph, you can also do an OEM coding that gets you a digital speedo that can display your speed either in mph or km/h.

DRL is also an easy option.

There is a local member Dimsum that can help you with the coding for a very good price. He can do the DRL, and the Digital speedo as well.

The manual has the instructions on how to change the odometer units etc. PM me if you need any help.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 11:10 AM   #3
platinumcars
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 335

recall letters from a us dealer are not accepted, if you need help importing a vehicle from the states shoot me an email.. I can do all your importing and form 2 inspection, I can also arrange for vehicle transport and brokerage, you can literally sit at home while your car is delivered to you. If you need me to do your riv only I can also do that for you, cluster is NOT required for warranty work. ali@Platinumcars.ca
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
Peepers
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi & '97 Spyder GSX

Platinumcars, thanks for the offer but I've done this many times and it's very easy to do on my own. US recall letters ARE acceptable. I've confirmed this three times with three different RIV agents along with my local BMW dealer.

Last edited by Peepers; 10-26-2010 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumcars View Post
recall letters from a us dealer are not accepted, if you need help importing a vehicle from the states shoot me an email.. I can do all your importing and form 2 inspection, I can also arrange for vehicle transport and brokerage, you can literally sit at home while your car is delivered to you. If you need me to do your riv only I can also do that for you, cluster is NOT required for warranty work. ali@Platinumcars.ca
Recall letters from dealers are accepted now. Been like that for sometime now.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 09:26 AM   #6
SuzyQ
Miss.335
Rep
Drives: 09 - AW335 LCI - xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESI4life10 View Post
Changing the digital readout (like odometer, fuel consumption etc) can all be changed yourself through the BC stalk or through the radio, or I drive (if you have it). No need to go to the dealer for that.

if your cluster only shows mph, you can also do an OEM coding that gets you a digital speedo that can display your speed either in mph or km/h.

DRL is also an easy option.

There is a local member Dimsum that can help you with the coding for a very good price. He can do the DRL, and the Digital speedo as well.

The manual has the instructions on how to change the odometer units etc. PM me if you need any help.

really? I always wondered why we don't have a button on r cars to change from kms to miles...when i went to the states, i was like WTF, i had noo idea how to figure out how fast I was going, lol...soooo, ure saying this can be done?? but needs to be coded?

Ohh - and I can get the digital thing like on my front winshield? telling me what speed im going at? u can do all that with just coding? doesnt the car need to come with something on the dash so that it reflects or something???

these r prolly stupid questions... orrrr PM me.. lol
      10-28-2010, 10:05 AM   #7
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep

No the digital speedometer is not the one that shows up on your windshield.

You know where you can view your fuel consumption, km left till empty, etc, that is where the digital speedo shows up.

It is very easy to change the units through some buttons on the radio or even through the bc stalk menu.

The digital speedo and other "features" will have to be coded. All these options are already loaded into the computer (ecu), they just need to be activated.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Why are you doing this?
Appreciate 0