E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > What could be the cause of this problem?

11-05-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
ihvabmr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

What could be the cause of this problem?

This just happened when I was on my way home. I was at an on ramp merging onto the freeway. As i was speeding up merging into the fast lane, all of the sudden, my engine light came on with the half yellow. So i thought, damn it! The car felt really sluggish, as if it lost power or something when I stepped on the gas. So when I got home, i shut off the engine, waited a minute, then restarted again. This time, the engine light didn't come on. I then proceeded to take the car for a spin. This time, the power came back, but it was nowhere near what it was before, and it wasn't smooth. In the mean time,I also heard something rattle, which, I thought it was the actuator. Parked the car with the engine idling, i then noticed a semi-burnt smell coming from the exhaust, which, it wasn't there before(Top Speed). What do you guys think what the issue was? Could it be HPFP? Any comments or suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
addicted2drums
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

Did you get a chance to scan the codes?
      11-05-2010, 10:12 PM   #3
ihvabmr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2drums View Post
Did you get a chance to scan the codes?
No, not yet. I'm going to get it scanned tomorrow. I was told it could possibly be a charge pipe leak, or HPFP failure. I just hope its just as simple as a leak....
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 11:06 PM   #4
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

If it's the charge pipe leak, you could take a look at that yourself... but that wouldn't cause a burnt smell
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 11:49 PM   #5
ihvabmr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
If it's the charge pipe leak, you could take a look at that yourself... but that wouldn't cause a burnt smell
Would a fried turbo cause the burnt smell? I did a search on HPFP failure, and someone mentioned that it could be a variety of things in the fuel system that triggers the engine light. From Vanos Solenoid, injectors, coil packs, fuel pump, to turbos. I just hope the issue aren't the turbos. If that's the case then i am out of luck with the factory warranty, as i just passed 50k miles.

P.S. I am fairly stock with the exception of an exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 02:18 AM   #6
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

It could be absolutely anything.

And my exhaust usually smells like burnt something or another. But theres nothing burning. Or wrong with my car.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
N55
ⒸⒺⓇⓉⓘⒻⒾⒺⒹ✬ⓃⒾⓃⒿⒶ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 🚀

Garage List
In my 08 when i took it up to 135 mph aggressively, i would smell something burnt. But I had the same thing happen to me with speeding up on the ramp and merging then all the sudden the light comes on. The conclusion was the HPFP. I also had this happen again on a separate occasion and it was the injectors. The dealer told me if the HPFP goes bad the injectors can go bad right after too because the injectors aren't getting enough fuel. That is what they told me though.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 01:20 PM   #8
ihvabmr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N55 View Post
In my 08 when i took it up to 135 mph aggressively, i would smell something burnt. But I had the same thing happen to me with speeding up on the ramp and merging then all the sudden the light comes on. The conclusion was the HPFP. I also had this happen again on a separate occasion and it was the injectors. The dealer told me if the HPFP goes bad the injectors can go bad right after too because the injectors aren't getting enough fuel. That is what they told me though.
Wow, thanks for your input. I had the same experience with the engine light. I have a feeling it is, in fact, HPFP. The car runs okay, but a little rough. I'm going to bring the car in to have it checked out.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 03:01 PM   #9
M3 Eater
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
my bet.... vanos.... speeding up and then getting in line in traffic.... 4500rpms is the vanos event. This means dirty oil has clogged up the vanos solenoids ( known problem) and very common. Get to a dealership asap or you will wear down the camshaft ledges. Its all covered under warranty but the longer you wait... the worse it will get.

Good luck!
      11-07-2010, 09:28 AM   #10
ihvabmr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Eater View Post
my bet.... vanos.... speeding up and then getting in line in traffic.... 4500rpms is the vanos event. This means dirty oil has clogged up the vanos solenoids ( known problem) and very common. Get to a dealership asap or you will wear down the camshaft ledges. Its all covered under warranty but the longer you wait... the worse it will get.

Good luck!
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I am just out of the warranty. If it is indeed, the Vanos Solenoid, would this be an expensive fix? I have an appointment this Thursday, and I also need to get to work. Is it ok for me to drive the vehicle?
Appreciate 0