E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Loaner standard suspension

11-10-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
BimmerGuyFL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 BMW 535i M-sport

Loaner standard suspension

So right now the dealership has my 328i sport for a software update a few other little things. They gave me a new 2011 328i with the Value package 17" rims with the base suspension non-sports. I am amazed at how soft riding the base suspension is. Goes over bumps as if it glides over them and the steering doesn't have the same feed back of the road like the sports suspension models.

Granted this is a very nice handling car but I can't help to feel it drives a lot like the new F10 5-series (soft and comfortable). It seems the newer production E90 3-series have been tweaked without any notification to customers in a move to make the 3-series more refined and lose the sporty feeling. Thank God the Sports suspension still has the traditional BMW feel and handling, that is until the new F30 3-series comes out.
2013 F10 BMW 535i Alpine White / Oyster Dakota Leather / Anthracite Wood Trim / Steptronic transmission / M Sport Package / Premium Package / Technology Package / Rear-view camera / Park Distance Control

Last edited by BimmerGuyFL; 11-11-2010 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
faz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 x40i, 2018 330i F30

Some people (like me) actually *chose* the non-sport over sport, for softer ride. (With a baby car seat in the back, we wanted to minimize the road bumps/etc. for the baby.)

I have no need for anymore feedback than this gives me.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 11:40 PM   #3
der_kommissar
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Midnight Blue X1 xDrive28

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
+1. Same here. That and replacement tire cost down the road since its my DD. I have driven a 2011 335 non sport, however, and it did feel smoother than my 07 328 non sport. The 2011 had conties and I have bridgestones, and I figured that was most of the difference.

Only thing I miss from the sport package, honestly, is the seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
Some people (like me) actually *chose* the non-sport over sport, for softer ride. (With a baby car seat in the back, we wanted to minimize the road bumps/etc. for the baby.)

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 11:51 PM   #4
beemer3
Rep
n/a
Drives:

The 2011 models use something called the Sachs dampers, but I am not sure if this only applies to cars with Sports Package.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 08:42 AM   #5
dre_2ooo
Rep
Drives: '14 435i

Sachs is a brand of shock absorber...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
BimmerGuyFL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer3 View Post
The 2011 models use something called the Sachs dampers, but I am not sure if this only applies to cars with Sports Package.
I thought that only the E92/E93 Coupe/Convertables got the Sachs shocks?
2013 F10 BMW 535i Alpine White / Oyster Dakota Leather / Anthracite Wood Trim / Steptronic transmission / M Sport Package / Premium Package / Technology Package / Rear-view camera / Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #7
BimmerGuyFL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_kommissar View Post
+1. Same here. That and replacement tire cost down the road since its my DD. I have driven a 2011 335 non sport, however, and it did feel smoother than my 07 328 non sport. The 2011 had conties and I have bridgestones, and I figured that was most of the difference.

Only thing I miss from the sport package, honestly, is the seats.
I agree with you. I wish they had a sports activity package where you can get the Sports seats, Steering wheel, and the nicer 17" rims but with the base suspension. For everyday driving such as in the city driving on brick roads, over rail road tracks, broken streets, and irregularities in the road I'd much rather have a normal BMW suspension than all out sports firm and always hard.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #8
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i 6AT non-sport

I test drove both the sport and non sport, twice each BTW. The only difference I noticed as far as ride was the much stiffer ride with the sport, no difference in the steering feel, or maybe the sport wheel was just a little tighter.

While the stiff suspension translated to much better cornering and stability, the harsh ride was not acceptable for the other family members. I also drove a 335d with M sport, did not have that harsh ride at all. Had hoped BWM treated the 328i sport the same as they treated the 335d.

I have since added spacers to the wheels of my non sport 328i which improved the cornering a little.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 01:14 AM   #9
faz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 x40i, 2018 330i F30

I went from Bridgestones to Contis, and yes, it does feel considerably softer. I kinda miss the steering feel / quick turning of the Bridgestones, but comfort wise, I am enjoying the Conti's.

I do not like the sport seats, but definitely like the steering wheel (upgrade to M), wider larger wheels, and the lower stance look. I think for what BMW adds to the car, the sport package is definitely worth while and a must for those who can live with the harsher ride. But every day life with the commute to work on freeways and baby in the car and stop/go traffic situations, non-sport suspension is definitely easier to live with.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 08:14 AM   #10
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post

x2 or 3...

Part of the steering feel or lack there of on the non sport comes from the fact that the car is outfitted with high sidewall crappy RFT on 17" wheels. Steering feel and handling can be dramatically improved by throwing on some new wheels and high performance low profile tires. I find the RFT's offensive. I was traveling at a high rate of speed the other day and they felt so mushy and unpredictable. Can't wait to slap my Conti DWS's on my 19' Alufelgen SF-71's.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 11:32 AM   #11
iflyjetzzz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
Steering feel and handling can be dramatically improved by throwing on some new wheels and high performance low profile tires. I find the RFT's offensive.
I agree. I don't have the sport suspension; I'm happy with the non-sport suspension.
I dumped my RFTs and went with Continental ExtremeContact DW (max performance summer) from the Tire Rack. I love these tires; they're quiet and handle the road very well. And since I'm in Tucson, I don't need all season tires. My only complaint is that they're so soft that they leave rubber marks in the driveway from my parking.
I also added the towing package from USAA rather than go with a spare. If you ditch RFTs, don't get fix-a-flat; I was told that using that will wreck your TPMS. I'd rather take the chance of getting towed to a shop than deal with the lack of a spare any other way, although I'll be asking the wifey for a cigarette lighter air compressor to inflate a flat if it's a slow leak. Fortunately, the TPMS will tell you when the tires are low so that should take care of most slow leaks.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #12
BimmerGuyFL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

bump

Last edited by BimmerGuyFL; 10-01-2011 at 08:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 03:17 PM   #13
OnlyTruth
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535 iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer3 View Post
Yes I heard that Sachs dampers absorb minor small bumps at lower speeds better hence less car bouncing

I also drove 2011 328 X-drive coupe as a loaner, it has a sport suspension by default. The ride was much better than my 335 non-sport. 328 ride had less irritation with the same amount of road feel though

2011 535 iX lemoned
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 04:14 PM   #14
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyjetzzz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
Steering feel and handling can be dramatically improved by throwing on some new wheels and high performance low profile tires. I find the RFT's offensive.
I agree. I don't have the sport suspension; I'm happy with the non-sport suspension.
I dumped my RFTs and went with Continental ExtremeContact DW (max performance summer) from the Tire Rack. I love these tires; they're quiet and handle the road very well. And since I'm in Tucson, I don't need all season tires. My only complaint is that they're so soft that they leave rubber marks in the driveway from my parking.
I also added the towing package from USAA rather than go with a spare. If you ditch RFTs, don't get fix-a-flat; I was told that using that will wreck your TPMS. I'd rather take the chance of getting towed to a shop than deal with the lack of a spare any other way, although I'll be asking the wifey for a cigarette lighter air compressor to inflate a flat if it's a slow leak. Fortunately, the TPMS will tell you when the tires are low so that should take care of most slow leaks.

I replaced the RFTs right after I took the new car home, put four Hancook v12s on. I then bought a cheap rim, asked the shop to put one of the OEM tires on to make a spare. But I have since pulled the spare out to reduce the weight, will just call AAA if in need. The new rim was a waste.

My next set of tires will be the Conti DWS extreme summers, not because I don't like my Hancooks, they are great but I realized the Conti tire is about 5 lbs lighter than most other brands.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 05:11 PM   #15
iflyjetzzz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
My next set of tires will be the Conti DWS extreme summers, not because I don't like my Hancooks, they are great but I realized the Conti tire is about 5 lbs lighter than most other brands.
The DWS is an all season tire; the DW is a summer tire. The DW is a very soft tire and will wear faster than the DWS. The DW has a UTQG of 340 where the DWS has a rating of 540. Theoretically, the DWS will last ~50% longer. The DW has a slightly better traction grade of AA vs the DWS grade of A ... those traction ratings are for wet surfaces, not icy.
The Continental RFT, ContiProContact SSR, has a UTQG of 400, so the DW with a 340 should theoretically not last as long as the RFT. However, I don't buy a 400 rating on a RFT.

I've got ~4000 miles on my DW tires and the tread depth still appears to be the same as new.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 10:47 PM   #16
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyjetzzz View Post
The DWS is an all season tire; the DW is a summer tire. The DW is a very soft tire and will wear faster than the DWS. The DW has a UTQG of 340 where the DWS has a rating of 540. Theoretically, the DWS will last ~50% longer. The DW has a slightly better traction grade of AA vs the DWS grade of A ... those traction ratings are for wet surfaces, not icy.
The Continental RFT, ContiProContact SSR, has a UTQG of 400, so the DW with a 340 should theoretically not last as long as the RFT. However, I don't buy a 400 rating on a RFT.

I've got ~4000 miles on my DW tires and the tread depth still appears to be the same as new.
I meant DW then. Like you I don't need all season tires. Part of the attraction of the Hancook v12s is the aggressive and good looking tire tread pattern. The conti DW isn't as good looking but acceptable.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 07:48 PM   #17
OnlyTruth
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535 iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post

I replaced the RFTs right after I took the new car home, put four Hancook v12s on. I then bought a cheap rim, asked the shop to put one of the OEM tires on to make a spare. But I have since pulled the spare out to reduce the weight, will just call AAA if in need. The new rim was a waste.

is lighter weight across the whole conti brand or just this particular tire model?

2011 535 iX lemoned
Appreciate 0