E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > fault codes - 335d - anyone help ??

11-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d sapphire black

fault codes - 335d - anyone help ??

after having one thing after another go wrong with my car ( just had an ecu replaced @£850) now the dpf light is coming on. After hooking up a laptop to it I have 2 faults which weren't there when it went in.

attached a pdf doc of the codes but I cant identify them so far. I know it's to do with the filter but not much else.

anyone.............
Attached Images
File Type: pdf FAULT+CODES.pdf (66.2 KB, 690 views)
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
simples
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

did u pay that £850 or was it warranty work worth that much?????
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Have attached your PDF file as a graphic so it's easier to see

No clue on the codes as yet, but I'll have a look at my book when I get home to see what I can find

Name:  Snapshot 2010-11-15 22-39-27.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  303.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep

car out of warranty .............

bought car 3 months ago privately & it was a good price, full history & mint apart from minor stone chips.

Had it remapped - fantastic ( sure this has nothing to do with the following)

3 weeks later wouldn't start & later on in the day it started, ran perfectly.

started ok for the next few days & then wouldn't start after leaving it overnight. Thought it may be the battery but was proven not to be the case. Booked it in with a local indy ( big mistake with hind sight) They had it a week, couldn't get their software to talk to the car ( bosch kds ?? i think) & after a week of trying they said they were stumped. Arranged to go down to pick it up after being "put back together" & it actually started. Drove off to the local dealers & it had no power at all. I though perhaps it was in limp mode & left it at that.

Dealer phoned me 2 days later to say it needs an ecu.......... week later get a call to say it's ready & go to pick it up but now the brake sensor was now on (red light) as the front discs were low so I told them to leave the brakes. Asked them if was alright & they said they had road tested it. On picking it up it was instantly obvious that there was still no power. ( Road tested eh ?? ) Went back inside to tell them & then we noticed that the rear bulbs on the drivers side was out yet there was no bulb out indicator at all !!

Get a call the following day to say that there is a small black pipe broken on the small turbo & will have to buy a pair of them & it's 4 hours labour. So who broke that ?? must have been done by the indy who I challenged on this but didn't want to know. What a surprise !! Apart from a starting problem it ran perfectly when i took it to them so this was nothing to do with the main dealer.

£650 later the car is now fixed & I'm convinced I paid an independent dealer £120 to break my car & cost me £650. Convinced.

Car running ok apart from the red brake light & now the dpf fault light is coming on. Here we go again.............. getting well pissed off with this car. Repair one problem & end up with another.

Spoke to the guy who chipped the car about all this & is happy to re install the remap ( top bloke ) & he has just pointed out to me that the car was actually in the dealers when these fault codes appeared looking at the milage when they occurred so it looks like they have something to do with this !!

I'm starting to get this strange feeling that they now did something to the brake sensor to make the light come one (wasn't on when I took it to them) hoping I would ask them to do the brakes ( looking back he was pushing me to get them done) & now done something to make the DPF light come on knowing I will be back for a diagnosis & more than likely a new dpf filter!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

The error is indicating an open or a short across the front DPF filter pressure sensor.
It occured with a cold engine and not running.
Odd.
I would agree with your suspicions.
Perhaps the sensor or connection got damaged during that 'pipe' repair is my guess.
Steve
      11-15-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep

here is a pic of the part that the independent damaged below the red arrow. Those little black pipes are bloody tough so there is no way it just snapped.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
fastloop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

That shouldn't really break unless you force it in the wrong direction or try to use the pipe connectors to pull on.

Looks like #1 in the diagram below and cost around £60-70 for the pair.
http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E9...turbo_charger/

Whoever did this should pay for the broken part, but let me guess - no one wants to own up to it? It just broke by itself as things do.....
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 04:24 AM   #8
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep

I'm beginning to wonder that maybe, just maybe, the independant left the pipe off by mistake & when the dealer discovered the pipe off he decided to snap it off & generate some extra work. I know it's a very cynical thing to suggest but just pushing a pipe back on free of charge never happens to me.

Some one broke it but who. I doubt you could break it with your fingers as it's that strong. Must have had a spanner levered against it or something.

Just have a lack of trust when it comes to garages as it's always win win for them & you have to take them on their trust which must be easy for them to con you cos how many ever get into the workshop to see what's really happened ??
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 04:31 AM   #9
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

jimmylad,

I can't help with your situation but what did you use to get the fault code readings? Do you have your own tool (BT or something)?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 06:11 AM   #10
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep

i "acquired" some software on ebay....... went up to see the guy who installed it on my windows 7 laptop (very complicated process but he does offer to send the stuff & do it remotely or you can send your laptop to him - I only lived 30 miles away so I arranged to visit him)

cost about £40 & £35 for a modified obd2 wire.

I initially wanted it when my car wasn't starting in the mornings so i could read the fault ( which it did) but i couldn't find the fault code listed anywhere.

used inpa to diagnose - should i have said that ?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 06:30 AM   #11
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep

i "acquired" some software on ebay....... went up to see the guy who installed it on my windows 7 laptop (very complicated process but he does offer to send the stuff & do it remotely or you can send your laptop to him - I only lived 30 miles away so I arranged to visit him)

cost about £40 & £35 for a modified obd2 wire.

I initially wanted it when my car wasn't starting in the mornings so i could read the fault ( which it did) but i couldn't find the fault code listed anywhere.

used inpa to diagnose - should i have said that ?
Appreciate 0