E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > GIAC Stage 2 - Does it include DP Fix?

11-21-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

GIAC Stage 2 - Does it include DP Fix?

Probably best to ask Austin himself but thought I'd ask here for in case anyone already knows the answer and in case it might be of use to someone else...

Since GIAC Stage 2 requires performance downpipes, does the flash eliminate the need for a downpipe fix - i.e. is it built in like on the Proceed? If not, I wonder if this would be something fairly easy for GIAC to add. Anyone know?

Also, while I'm here - I have all the bolt-ons needed to upgrade to the stage 2 flash (well, I will as soon as my DPs arrive) except for an intake. I have the CP-E FMIC/Oil Cooler combo (plus the OEM oil cooler), a catless AE exhaust, and AR catted and coated DPs are on their way. Is the intake an absolute requirement for stage 2 or will it run fine with just a bit less HP? Can I just go with a drop in filter instead? I really don't want anything to look non-OEM under the hood if I can help it, and I'm not really interested in the added sound of an intake. Can I get away with just a drop in without causing any harm? If not, will a dual cone AFE suffice? I know I could just go with an inexpensive BMS dual cone but, and no offense Terry/Mike, I just don't like the looks of it - it just looks too home made to me. If I absolutely need to get an intake to step up to stage 2 I at least want one that looks decent. The Stett CAI looks good too but I have active steering and as such I don't think the Stett will fit because of that. Anyone have any other creative ideas if I need to go with an intake?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
only1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Z06, 09 e90335i

not built in. They don't seem willing to add it for legal reasons i believe. It should not apply in canada though and cel is a pain in the ass.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Just get a BMS O2 Simulator. I've been running it on a full catless turbo back system since April and it works flawlessly!

Edit:

Here is your link: http://www.burgertuning.com/dpfix.html
      11-22-2010, 03:41 AM   #4
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
Probably best to ask Austin himself but thought I'd ask here for in case anyone already knows the answer and in case it might be of use to someone else...

Since GIAC Stage 2 requires performance downpipes, does the flash eliminate the need for a downpipe fix - i.e. is it built in like on the Proceed? If not, I wonder if this would be something fairly easy for GIAC to add. Anyone know?
I asked them the same question a few months ago and the answer is no, at least for the US - fiddling with the emission behaviour of a car seems to be a federal offense, which is why they don't want to do it (understandably). The situation may be different for cars that are registered outside of the US, however.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
Also, while I'm here - I have all the bolt-ons needed to upgrade to the stage 2 flash (well, I will as soon as my DPs arrive) except for an intake. I have the CP-E FMIC/Oil Cooler combo (plus the OEM oil cooler), a catless AE exhaust, and AR catted and coated DPs are on their way. Is the intake an absolute requirement for stage 2 or will it run fine with just a bit less HP? Can I just go with a drop in filter instead? I really don't want anything to look non-OEM under the hood if I can help it, and I'm not really interested in the added sound of an intake. Can I get away with just a drop in without causing any harm? If not, will a dual cone AFE suffice? I know I could just go with an inexpensive BMS dual cone but, and no offense Terry/Mike, I just don't like the looks of it - it just looks too home made to me. If I absolutely need to get an intake to step up to stage 2 I at least want one that looks decent. The Stett CAI looks good too but I have active steering and as such I don't think the Stett will fit because of that. Anyone have any other creative ideas if I need to go with an intake?
You don't absolutely need an intake to run the stage 2 - the essential modifications are the intercooler and the catless exhaust system. An intake may give you a few more hp, but it's not a risk at all to omit it.

Just FYI, I have the STETT CAI (initial version, not the updated one that just came out) and have managed to install it although I also have active steering. It still pushes out the plastic wheel well a bit and as my car is lowered it rubs very slightly when the steering is at full lock to the right, but it's ok; and I would assume that the newer STETT CAI will have a better fitment anyway. So if you want a better intake and don't like the looks or sound of a DCI, I can recommend getting the STETT CAI.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      11-22-2010, 08:39 AM   #5
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Thanks guys! I'm really hoping I can just go to stage 2 without getting an intake. I also sent a note to Austin to ask him directly. I'll let you know what his response is once I hear back from him. Thanks again - Jay
Appreciate 0