E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > GIAC Valet Map Questions

12-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

GIAC Valet Map Questions

Am I correct in assuming both the GIAC valet map and either the stage 1 or the stage 2 map can reside on the ECU simultaneously? I understand that you can't have both stage 1 and stage 2 at the same time. What about stage 2, valet, and stock - can all 3 live harmoniously in the ECU?

Also, regarding the valet map - is this map actually usable on the street? I know it'll be extra slow but just how slow is it, is it dangerously slow or would it be the equivalent of driving a low powered car such as a 4 cylinder Honda? The main reason I ask is because if it's usable on the street I may set it up that way for when my kids drive the car. Anyone know what the HP and torque figures are on valet?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Yes you can have all of the optional maps into the flashloader in the ecu.
Of course only one stage though.
I think the valet map is very detuned but you can still drive the car. If i am not mistaken i think there is a rev limit at 4500 rpm but best is to ask Giac directly.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
I335
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
Yes you can have all of the optional maps into the flashloader in the ecu.
Of course only one stage though.
I think the valet map is very detuned but you can still drive the car. If i am not mistaken i think there is a rev limit at 4500 rpm but best is to ask Giac directly.
Thanks enrita! Glad to hear I can have all 3 installed simultaneously. I think I'll go that route if the valet map is actually drivable. I will touch base with GIAC directly on this and will post back when I find out, unless someone else chimes in with the answer before that. Thanks again! ...Jay
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
Am I correct in assuming both the GIAC valet map and either the stage 1 or the stage 2 map can reside on the ECU simultaneously? I understand that you can't have both stage 1 and stage 2 at the same time. What about stage 2, valet, and stock - can all 3 live harmoniously in the ECU?

Also, regarding the valet map - is this map actually usable on the street? I know it'll be extra slow but just how slow is it, is it dangerously slow or would it be the equivalent of driving a low powered car such as a 4 cylinder Honda? The main reason I ask is because if it's usable on the street I may set it up that way for when my kids drive the car. Anyone know what the HP and torque figures are on valet?
Valet is streetable, just simply no boost.

You can have the following options:

Stage X (X meaning Stage 1 or 2)
Stage X+ (for race/meth)
"Stock"
Valet
Firewall (locks tune to specific flashing facility)
Anti-Theft (not needed for BMW models)

There really isn't a need to dyno valet mode, but I wouldn't call it a daily driving tune. The stock flash should be perfectly fine for your kids.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
I335
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Valet is streetable, just simply no boost.

You can have the following options:

Stage X (X meaning Stage 1 or 2)
Stage X+ (for race/meth)
"Stock"
Valet
Firewall (locks tune to specific flashing facility)
Anti-Theft (not needed for BMW models)

There really isn't a need to dyno valet mode, but I wouldn't call it a daily driving tune. The stock flash should be perfectly fine for your kids.
Thanks Tom - much appreciated!

I also just got off the phone with GIAC and here's what they had to say for a few questions I had...

Q: Can Stage 2, Stock, & Valet all reside in the ECU simultaneously?
A: Yes, no problem.

Q: Is valet safely drivable on the street? I'm thinking about this for when my 18 & 16 yr old kids drive the car.
A: Yes, absolutely. Valet will put the car at about 170hp, similar to a Civic and they hear it's very common to use valet for kids.

Q: Can Stage 2 be run with my stock intake along with my other bolt-ons, without putting my car in any danger of harming anything such as the turbos? My current setup is OE intake w/drop-in, AE catless exhaust, AR catted/coated downpipes, and CP-E FMIC/OC combo.
A: Yes, you will not harm the car running stage 2 with those mods and OE intake but you'll lose the opportunity for about 20hp and your turbos will work a bit harder.

Enrita, Tom, and the others who've chimed in to help - thanks again, you guys were spot on but it also makes me feel good to confirm with the source.

I'm liking the sound of this as it gives me a chance to give stage 2 and valet a try while I figure out what do about the intake situation. My car has active steering so that limits me a bit right there I think and I really don't like the idea of a DCI - it exposes the intake manifold which is pretty ugly, it looks raw, and I'm assuming will make my car even noisier. I also don't like the idea of changing out any visible hardware under the hood in general as I really want to keep the car fairly stock-looking inside & out.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 08:55 AM   #6
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
FWIW: I seem to remember that you can't put more than 3 maps on the ECU simultaneously. I currently have stock, pump and race on mine and believe (due to space restrictions on the ECU) I could not add the valet map to it.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      12-10-2010, 10:56 AM   #7
I335
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
FWIW: I seem to remember that you can't put more than 3 maps on the ECU simultaneously. I currently have stock, pump and race on mine and believe (due to space restrictions on the ECU) I could not add the valet map to it.

Alpina_B3_Lux
Yes, that sounds about right. That said, I'm surprised you can have the 3 that you have, especially pump and race together. I know that you can't have stage 1 and stage 2 together and I figured the race file was just as big as stage 1 or 2, but perhaps it's not. I'm planning to go with stock, stage 2, and valet. You need meth or race fuel for race, correct?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 01:57 PM   #8
old account 1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 463whp 2001.5 Audi S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post

Yes, of course. You can have pump, race, valet and stock modes all in the DME concurrently. This is for stage 1 or stage 2. The changes between stage 1 and stage 2 are simply too great to fit all of changes necessary for them both to work properly.
Appreciate 0