E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > CPO Inspection

12-31-2010, 12:50 AM   #1
Bavfan
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

CPO Inspection

Does anyone know what criteria there is for replacing worn parts during the inspection for a dealership to qualify a car to be CPO? I bought my 07 E90 328i a couple of weeks ago and had my indy mechanic take a look. All looked good, but he said the front tires need replacing. The dealership had measured it as 5/32 or 62%. I thought I read somewhere that if anything is 50% during the inspection that it should be replaced. I'm wondering if I have an argument to try and get some money back for the tires if I can get the local dealer or tire shop to confirm the tread depth. The car had 36,000 KM on it and presumably the tires are original.

I've got a set of winter rims on now, so the stock rims/tires are in storage right now.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 12:55 AM   #2
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

It maybe too late now to do anything, should have had them put new tires on the car as part of the deal. 5 is cutting it pretty close, I always thought 4 was the legal certification limit. Being CPO I would be under the impression that the standards should go above and beyond the bare minimum required. Maybe I'm just asking too much...
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 02:05 AM   #3
Bavfan
Private
Rep

Yep, my expectation was that a 3rd party inspection was not necessary because it was CPO; that was naive of me. I thought the tires looked a little weak and the comment was that they would have been replaced if the tech felt it necessary and the salesman showed me the inspection form. I was expecting to get a year out of the tires at least and the replace them with non RFT's.

I'm going to talk to the sales manager to see what he's got to say, but the dealership is well out of town for me, so not worth the trip for him to see for himself.

Besides this, the car is great and I got a nice discount off their asking price. But this is going to bug me for a while.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
w2
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Tires must have 4/32" of tread left on lease return (I assume this means above and beyond the minimum wear bar; not the tire face), so I expect that this is also the CPO minimum spec, since that's where most CPO cars are going to be coming from. If that's the case, it would mean that your tires are 1/32" under the wear limit.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 09:18 AM   #5
Bavfan
Private
Rep

W2, that sounds right then. If good enough for lease return, then probably good enough for CPO resale. Obviously dealership wants to put minimum they have to into the car to resell it to maximize their return.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 09:40 AM   #6
MMachines
BMW Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3, 2006 4Runner

My CPO inspection was bullsh!t. They didn't check anything other than to make sure it passed safety and it needed brakes. Hell I needed a new battery a week later but they were dicks on the phone and over 2 hrs away and wanted to keep the car overnight with no loaner, then MAYBE they'd put a battery in it. This successfully kept me from returning for any "goodwill" work as they put it. Was also supposed to play MP3's which it doesn't, needs software update, it's in the brochure though, dealer and BMW Canada told me I should have checked it out before buying it. I got an airbag warning ON THE WAY HOME and was told too bad so sad, this was before the recall. I thought that is why I bought at an effing dealer? I'll never buy another CPO that's out of manufacturer warranty, I had 80458 on mine when I got it.

In my experience it was no different than buying off any other regular car lot only you get the CPO warranty rather than a lubrico.

/rant

Last edited by MMachines; 12-31-2010 at 10:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 04:29 PM   #7
jasonintoronto
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe (sold)

i was happy with my CPO inspection. they found a problem with both my rear wheels and replaced them with new ones before i even picked up the car. this is bmw toronto.